One off Volunteer Work (1 Viewer)

hero.

HSC
N/A
I'm looking to do some volunteer work but dont want to commit to something weekly.

Is there places where I can volunteer when I have the time?

jordankuai22

HSC
hero. said:
I'm looking to do some volunteer work but dont want to commit to something weekly.

Is there places where I can volunteer when I have the time?
looks like someone wants to look well rounded on their resume!!!!

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
most organisations will create roles for volunteers based on their availablility. Just tell them you may only be available once every few month and they will be more than happy to find a role for you.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
St John Ambulance, Unimed, Red Cross...in fact most of the first aid services have pretty flexible volunteer times. The organization picks an event to cover and members sign up to cover it.

I think the State Emergency Services (SES) does this too but you have to come to regular meetings or go to so many duties. I'd imagine it would be quite flexible too i suppose.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Good time to do some volunteer work is during O-week (but yeah I realise you'll need to wait until next year, but it's something you can keep in mind). At UNSW (which I believe you attend?) Arc and the Careers and Employment service offer volunteer work during o-week just to name a couple.

greekgun

HSC
chicky_pie said:
It's very good for your resume, consider that.

@ greekgun, stick to working at Coles.
Of corse its good for ur resume, but there are so many other things which are better...like go do a 1 day corse in some IT place which gives u some sort of certificate or something. That going to look much better then doing voluteer work on a resume.

And no i wont stick to coles, next year im going to uni and then getting into accounting asap. And another thing, u should do volunteer work because u want to do it, not so u can appear compitent on a resume. but hey, everyone has different opinions.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
greekgun said:
Of corse its good for ur resume, but there are so many other things which are better...like go do a 1 day corse in some IT place which gives u some sort of certificate or something. That going to look much better then doing voluteer work on a resume.
not really no... volunteer/extra curric is something employers look at strongly. As I said, you'll understand later on. Especially if you want to get a job at a decent accounting firm.

And to add to that, volunteer work can be really fun and social, I actually really like doing it. A useless 1 day course certificate wouldn't really do anything for your resume, and would be super boring to do.. as well as YOU have to pay for it.

greekgun

HSC
uhawww said:
not really no... volunteer/extra curric is something employers look at strongly. As I said, you'll understand later on. Especially if you want to get a job at a decent accounting firm.

And to add to that, volunteer work can be really fun and social, I actually really like doing it. A useless 1 day course certificate wouldn't really do anything for your resume, and would be super boring to do.. as well as YOU have to pay for it.
So ur saying that employers prefer there employees to have volunteered in the past rather than skills which could be extremely useful to their buisness?

Last edited:

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
A one day course can offer you skills that would be extremely useful to their business?

And it's not about the experience in volunteering it's... you know what, you'll find out later on.

fishy89sg

HSC
uhawww said:
A one day course can offer you skills that would be extremely useful to their business?

And it's not about the experience in volunteering it's... you know what, you'll find out later on.
what?? spill the beans lol

Pace_T

HSC
being a volunteer makes you look like you give a shit about people and stuff like that.
its just basically doing something that makes you appear to employers that you are trying to make a change and that you are not just in it for the money/experience
something like that

personally i hate volunteer work. if i was an employer i wouldnt put so much emphasis on it. and i certainly wouldnt hire people who do volunteer work purely to increase their chance of employment (not that it would be easy to find out)

it works out for me anyway, because whoever ends up employing me obviously wouldnt have put as much emphasis on volunteer work as others. and i certaintly wouldnt want to work for those that do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)