Onstage 2004 (1 Viewer)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
was ship of fools the american one? because as well done as it was, it was basically a blatant rip off of wag the dog.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I didn't like the ship of fools GP. It completely lost me, but the nerdy guy with glasses was a bit of a laugh. The Nutcase GP was the best performance overall! And the little guy was such a cutie. The group acted so well with one another - everything just went hand-in-hand with the action before it.

Everyone in my class hated "the" damsel, but I didn't think it was that bad. The girl played her role so well, and even though her actual piece dragged on a little, her acting was great!

It was great to see the Theatre Reviews in the Foyer. Boy were they fantastic. But it gives me an insight into the level I have to be working towards.

cmaddogz, I saw a bit of your film and thought it was excellent! I loved the water idea. I wanted to see it all, but there were fifty million people standing infront of me, and I got lost in the crowd. Do you mean the song Kiss From A Rose by Seal??? I had no idea it was about that! lol

pungpui

HSC
I went to see both Matinee and evening performances of OnStage (yes we got kicked out of Rebel Sport for playing cricket during the 3 hours wait, twice!) and I was generally pleased with the standard, though I dont know how some of the performances got in!

'The Liar' was the most boring this I have EVER seen...it was like...ok you've got 10 mintues, your word is.....Liar... as if he was standing up there only to fill up time! If it was meant to be intellectually challenging its a petty MOST PEOPLE FELL ASLEEP!

The ship of fools was soooooooooooo corney...now i know never to do the entire piece in American accents!!!

Jai Courntey (from my school) did that awesome individual piece Accidental Death of an Anarchist...he also played the fireman in the Zenith production of The Bald Prima Donna...fab in that as well...was glad to see his was the best!

Searching for Sunshine was pretty tacky...i reckon the only reason people liked it was coz of the sex appeal there.

But overall pretty good.

beergirl

polka dots are cool
HSC
Yeah, I went to onstage... I don't remember what day I went but the performances were good.

Joe took a while for me to work out, but when I did it was really well thought of and put together. However some people were stronger than others in that performance, and it was obvious.

The Good Person of Szechwan was loong! However she performed it well. But I found it boring... mainly because I have a short attention span.

Rise of the CEO was very clever. As soon as the 'three secretaries' were there I knew straight away it was Macbeth. Luckily I studied that in year 10 so it was really good for me.

Six Rungs Under: Clever use of the ladder, and pretty good performace, but it was a bit eh

Ship of Fools: It was ok I suppose, very true though

Accidental Death of The Anarchist: Very well performed, It was really good to watch, it took me a while to actually understand hald the stuff he was saying, but it was brilliant

"The" Damsel: The chick who did that lives near me and I saw her at Coles the other day, her performace however wasnt that crash hot.

Nutcase what a classic! As soon as they came out and started the driving scene I thought of the Umbilical Brothers, and I thought this will be good. And it was. Very funny and very well compilated. I was impressed

I didnt get a good look at all the outside exhibitions. I watched the short films though, coz thats what i want to do. They were really good.

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
HIIIIIIII all! I have returned from my trip.... So, as promised - my rundown of the Onstage show (Program B) Friday night...

Joe: Clever and witty, Joe was the epitome of how a group should work... The group combined really well as a whole... However, as beergirl said - some of the performers were stronger than others (but this is so frequent in GP pieces...)

The Good Person of Szechwan: A lot of people (mostly my mates) have had a whinge about this piece... However, I thought it was really smart, well thought out and brilliantly acted. The actress has THE single most control of her acting ability than any other ACTRESS i have seen. The reason some people may have found it boring is because of the style it was performed in - most people don't know much about Asian theatre. This actress does...

The Peacock: Funny, true and relevant to today's society... Characterisation was superb, acting was great - but overall it was the idea/concept of the group which brought them up to such a high standard! This piece had me laughing for most of the time, it was good!

Rise of the CEO: The performance was incredibley well thought out - the adaption of a Shakespearean play into a modern context was really smart... And overall well done. Acting wasn't the best out there, but still was of a high standard...

Nutcase: HAHA! So funny - a great way to end the first half of the show... They worked as an ensemble so well, their characterisation was great, and the idea was smart and witty... Very, very good piece (one of the best from the show)...

Ship of Fools: Well, well, well... There's always one... The group that gets in by using a previous years Onstage idea... Do It For Momma (Onstage '03) has been adapted into Ship of Fools (Onstage '04)... The whole annoying American accent thing - the truth of the American way of life... Showing how lame America is is just a way of HSC Drama... However, overall the piece was bearable and somewhat interesting...

'The' Damsel: Well acted, interesting concept - but something was missing for me... Not sure what though. Looking back on it her characterisation was really well done, but like i said something was missing...

The Maniac: Accidental Death of an Anarchist: Brilliantly acted - sheer genius (if you were writing for a newspaper haha)... The concept and adaption of the maniac was superb and left alot of people in stiches... After the first minute i caught onto the accent, and once that happened i was laughing all the way home...

Searching for Sunshine: This GP was very, very smart... There was a lot more complexity than we think... The trio did a brilliant job of working as an ensemble and taking us on a journey. Smart, witty jokes - mostly sexually related - this was my only issue... I mean it's good fun to watch sex jokes, but there's better things to talk about than it (i mean my teacher told us to stay away from it, so maybe im just shitty and jealous haha). Overall a really well-done piece...

So, there you have it. My run-down of the show... Hope you all enjoyed it and what-have-you....
I'm out for now - BYE!

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
Yeah grk_styl... Glycerine and I were talkin bout Seal - Kiss From A Rose.. Except the version in my film was the instrumental... Why?

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
Haha.... yeah, alot of people don't know that... It was funny, the day after i handed in my video for HSC marking i told my teacher... His face was a cack... But i mean, not many people know the true meaning so it's all good... How are your reviews going??? What plays are u reviewing?

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I listened to it, and it isn't clear what it is about. lol

Reviews are ok. The showcase scared the crap out of me, coz they were so great, and mine sounds like they are amatuer. I've only done one review though. My drama IP is being left behind at the moment, as my half-yearlies" are coming up.

I am going to email some of the producers, so I'm hoping they reply. I'm reviewing "The Complete Works of Shakespeare (abridged)"; "Frozen"; "Eclipse/17 Musicians"; and that's all I've seen so far!

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
Yeah - you can't relaly tell in the song - but most of it is metaphoric...
Sounds like things are coming along well then... My advice to anybody doing reviews - get as many "people-in-the-know" to look at them as possible... A huge tip is to contact drama teachers from across the state and ask for their help - usually they'll be willing... The more help you get, the more likely you are to achieve a high-standard...
Overall, good luck and enjoy your final year of school... Drama is the only thing that kept me sane (whilst i was allowed to be insane)... Good luck in your half-yearlies
FOR SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZY

matty_boi17

HSC
N/A
I loved The Nutcase. Artistic appreciation aside.. THAT BLONDE BOY WAS HOT, HOT, HOT! :D

aud

HSC
Originally posted by grk_styl
I think matty_boi is talking about the short blonde boy. He was such a cutie!
Ah... good, I though he was talking about Jai... from my school... was the one that did Accidental Death of an Anarchist... and he's so not cute...

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
Haha - suddenly this forum went from a critical forum, to a gossip forum... Haha... So what's the dealio yo - do you reckon looks have something to do with getting a good mark??? Take for example Will from "Nutcase" (blonde guy previously mentioned), and Tasman from "Searching for Sunshine" (guy who took his top off in the final piece)...? Not to mention some of the hotties in other GPs (eg The Peacock, etc)... I reckon it does have a small part to play!

KG

Originally posted by cmaddogz
Haha - suddenly this forum went from a critical forum, to a gossip forum... Haha... So what's the dealio yo - do you reckon looks have something to do with getting a good mark??? Take for example Will from "Nutcase" (blonde guy previously mentioned), and Tasman from "Searching for Sunshine" (guy who took his top off in the final piece)...? Not to mention some of the hotties in other GPs (eg The Peacock, etc)... I reckon it does have a small part to play!
not really... will goes to my school, and he's a really fuckin talented actor... it's not cause of his looks that he was marked well.

matty_boi17

HSC
N/A
Haha! Gossip forum indeed :p

Well, I think looks assist in the acting industry. I think it's slightly superficial. 95% of people on television are pretty! I think Will was very talented and so were the other boys. ACK! And as for that boy who ripped his shirt off.. I near fell over!

There was a cute boy in front of me too. LOL, I tell you.. they need to have MORE of this OnStage each year! ;)

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
Haha... I agree - the looks have something to do with it... Especially when you consider those people in the limelight... There are only a few exceptions who have made it, besides their looks: Missy Elliot, the singer from George, etc... Image plays such an important role in the entertainment industry, and i reckon that "to an extent" it plays a role in HSC marking/Onstage...
Also, here's a point to consider... Onstage performers: mainly public schools... Exhibition: a comination of private and public schools... interesting to note that there is still a minor split in the department... Occasionally, however, you get private school performers (eg Cranbrook School last year)... Just another point to consider...
Anyways... keep it real!

rosie rose

uhh guys, i just think that generally the hotness ratio in drama way exceeds that of other subjects ie. computing
i saw many a'student scoping the talent (and dare i say, tuning) when I went to onstage. but the people who got on are genuinely talented. i say, if they are "lookers" it is merely a bonus for the audience.
that's my 2 cents anyway.
(and shame on you if you tried to pick up at onstage- please!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)