Operation recovery time? (1 Viewer)

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
I'm just wondering if anyone knows generally how long it takes to recover after an operation in which you are under general anesthetic (i.e. you are artificially asleep). Also, while you are recovering, what is it like?

The reason i'm asking, is that my dad's booked me in to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out (the operation will be under general anesthetic), four days before i leave to schoolies.

would i be able to make it? would my stitches have healed by then? (supposedly the mouth is the fastest-healing part of your body)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Hmm. Well this is really something you should talk to your doctor about, but it depends on who's doing the op. I can imagine you won't be able to eat solids for a few days after (if not more), and you may have bleeding. Recovery times for friends were anything from about a week - several weeks (infection).

General anaesthesia itself takes a few hours to fully recover from.

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
The bad thing is, is that my dad IS my doctor (although he's not doing the op) and he's being a fagget about it.

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
would of you been well enough to go to schoolies on the fourth day?

tania O

HSC
jasonml said:
The bad thing is, is that my dad IS my doctor (although he's not doing the op) and he's being a fagget about it.
thats shit, my cousin took her 4 wisdom teeth out she had to only eat like soup and fluid food and she had to go back to the doctors to check up if its healing and yeah i felt sorry for her because when she came back from the hospital her face was like a balloon but now shes oright.

today i have an dentist appointment because i have got 10 fucken fillings to do my dentist is only gonna do 3 today err altogether is $1500 OMG.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
The op itself will only take a day to recover from (the numbness of your face and gums, the tired feeling from the anesthetic etc)

You wont be able to eat properly for a few days (i.e. solid foods). You should be ok to go, just take some painkillers, soft foods and salt to add to water to rinse your mouth with to prevent infection.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
that day to recover from the actual operation, go home and sleep. A few days where you are a bit of a retard with food and it took me 5 days to be totally recovered with only a slight pain when drinking some stuff, but not enough to actually bother me. You should be fine.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
jasonml said:
Depends u can ask the surgeon..

my mate is an OMS and it should be fine like after day 3... just keep the wound site clean... betadine mouth wash..

meh.. u should get another doctor.. technically its not professional to treat ur son..
(if u want to get into a fight :p)

soft foods... but yeah drinking .. is not the best idea...sorry :(

rozymisty

HSC
it varies from person to person. For me, my prob was overdose on maxalon....teeth were fine. u get a special ice pk for ur face for a few days...much easier to use han frozen peas lol.

if u take it eay u should be fine to eat properly in a wk. definately do not go to schoolies---u will ruin ur recovery..make it longer... i know coz im a nurse and have had a few pts ask similar questions

its odd to eat coz the food gets caught down the bk where the teeth were...and it kills!!!!!

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
depends from person to person. i was fine after a few days, but the sores won't heal before you go on schoolies - open wound + vodka - be warned.

inter108

HSC
Yea depends on individuals ability recover some may recover quicker then others due to level of lolness.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
yeah, you'll go on schoolies (i doubt anything will stop you lol). As for drinking hard liquor with open wounds in your mouth, you'll find it a challenge ;) (my doc said at least 1 week before drinking. I drank on the 7th day and kind of regretted it)
I'd just do as many things as possible to reduce swelling before you leave for qld.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
You can go on schoolies and not drink...

Besides having a sore mouth on schoolies will be better than my experience of going with a broken wrist, I was lucky and didn't need a general but I went to schoolies after breaking my arm like two or three days earlier.

rozymisty

HSC
simple solution...screw your dad and get your teeth out later...u dont want to have to be worrying about your teeth at schoolies

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
Yup done it. I've postponed the OP untill the 21st Jan. Thanks everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)