Currently my subjects are:
2U Mathematics
Standard English
Physics
Biology
IPT
SDD

I have two options right now:
1. Keep 12 units and 2U maths, which I'm terrible at, so that I have technically have "completed course outcomes", thus it would mean that I have that assumed knowledge going into Uni. Keeping 12 assures me that Mathematics will not count towards my final ATAR; which I'm almost definite will be the case, if I don't step up. I could also get a tutor to help me through.. Is this a good idea?

and

2. Drop to general maths and to 10 units (either Bio or Phys) and hope I can somehow demolish the comp - and carry onto Uni to do a bridging course -.-"

Number 2, to me seems like the no-go zone.

Oh, and do you guys reckon I'll still be able to move up to Advanced English, at this point in time? :S

Any advice is appreciated!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Bridging course?

If you're not good at maths now, what makes you think you'll be suddenly and magically good at maths 12 months from now in the bridging course? Now, it depends on your degree of course - but if maths is an integral part of your degree - then seriously consider whether you should take that up in the first place.

You don't suddenly get good at maths.

Also, you'll have to ask your school about the English thing. Depends on your marks. And probably how nicely you ask.

MATHmaster

HSC
N/A
Bridging course?

If you're not good at maths now, what makes you think you'll be suddenly and magically good at maths 12 months from now in the bridging course? Now, it depends on your degree of course - but if maths is an integral part of your degree - then seriously consider whether you should take that up in the first place.

You don't suddenly get good at maths.

Also, you'll have to ask your school about the English thing. Depends on your marks. And probably how nicely you ask.
I suddenly got good in maths. Was ranked in the low 20s in Year 9 to 2nd in Year 10
and I'm still second now...

OP follow your dreams! LOL xD

avhead

no-hope fighter pilot l0l
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
HSC
I suddenly got good in maths. Was ranked in the low 20s in Year 9 to 2nd in Year 10
and I'm still second now...

OP follow your dreams! LOL xD
Yup, same here, I was at the bottom of the class in Year 9, then got to the middle in Year 10, now im 2nd in 2U and 3rd in Extension l0l. I guess it's a bit of a self gauge if you know you're not putting effort in.

HSC
Why not drop down to general maths and keep 12 units if your enjoying them all and then you can see how you go and drop later if you aren't going well in a subject? Unless your not liking or have no interest in a subject like me and Ancient History then drop to 10 units because there is no point doing a subject your hating!! Regards to moving up to Advanced English it really depends on your school and I guess they take into consideration how well your going in Standard?

Jikky

HSC
So, my teacher said she'll talk to some people to sort out timetables and how it's all going to work so that I can move up to Advanced.
But, I still have the dilemma of whether or not to keep 2U. I know I've been lazy and atm it's at the bottom of my interest list, but I probably will need it going into Uni. I also know that if i get off ma butt, I'll probably go decently next year.

Is it also a good idea to keep it, and 12 units, so that it will definitely not count towards my ATAR, so that, going into Uni that assumed knowledge is still available?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well if you don't like it, drop it. You're wasting your time in class if you're not even going to be interested in it nor feel motivated to work for it.

If you need it for uni, you can take a bridging course - I suppose.

yahyah123

HSC
Whatever you do, DON'T DROP TO GENERAL MATHS!!
It's horrible.
I was coming 4/13 in 2U but decided I could probably go better ATAR wise in General Maths, and I'm going even worse in General now (55% in last exam).
Stick to 2U, just try to persevere and get a tutor- if you can.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Whatever you do, DON'T DROP TO GENERAL MATHS!!
It's horrible.
I was coming 4/13 in 2U but decided I could probably go better ATAR wise in General Maths, and I'm going even worse in General now (55% in last exam).
Stick to 2U, just try to persevere and get a tutor- if you can.
I agree with yahyah123.

Just take 2U, General is truly and almost useless subject and having knowledge in 2U will make Physics calculation piss easy.

TheOptimist

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, need some input.

Currently my subjects are:
2U Mathematics
Standard English
Physics
Biology
IPT
SDD

I have two options right now:
1. Keep 12 units and 2U maths, which I'm terrible at, so that I have technically have "completed course outcomes", thus it would mean that I have that assumed knowledge going into Uni. Keeping 12 assures me that Mathematics will not count towards my final ATAR; which I'm almost definite will be the case, if I don't step up. I could also get a tutor to help me through.. Is this a good idea?

and

2. Drop to general maths and to 10 units (either Bio or Phys) and hope I can somehow demolish the comp - and carry onto Uni to do a bridging course -.-"

Number 2, to me seems like the no-go zone.

Oh, and do you guys reckon I'll still be able to move up to Advanced English, at this point in time? :S

Any advice is appreciated!
It is imperative that you try and move into Advanced, as Standard scales horribly, and it is renowned as one of the most difficult subjects to get a band 6 in, if your aiming for a higher ATAR, 94/95+ then moving up to Advanced seems like the most logical step:)

Jikky

HSC
It is imperative that you try and move into Advanced, as Standard scales horribly, and it is renowned as one of the most difficult subjects to get a band 6 in, if your aiming for a higher ATAR, 94/95+ then moving up to Advanced seems like the most logical step:)
Yep I asked my teacher before the yearlies, she did not hesitate and said that she would speak to the teacher that sorts out all of the classes and timetables. So I'm pretty lucky..

Jikky

HSC
Are personal tutors the way to go, or can I go to one of those coaching places? For 2U.

ellie95

HSC
N/A
Are personal tutors the way to go, or can I go to one of those coaching places? For 2U.
There's a really good tutoring company called S4S, their tutors have all got very high atars and their tutoring styles are very good. Many people struggling in my class went there and now they are topping the class. If you search them on google, they have different locations. The first lesson is free so it wouldn't hurt giving it a try.

Jikky

HSC
There's a really good tutoring company called S4S, their tutors have all got very high atars and their tutoring styles are very good. Many people struggling in my class went there and now they are topping the class. If you search them on google, they have different locations. The first lesson is free so it wouldn't hurt giving it a try.
Thank you so much for the recommendation, checking it out now!

-Edit-

Devo, all of their centres are like an hour away from where I live. I live on the Northern Beaches, if anyone else knows of any good tutoring/coaching places - Holla!

Last edited:

Jikky

HSC
And so my teacher didn't get the deal done. -___________- Which means I have to prove myself by blitzing the prelim yearly, which I have a feeling I did not. The joys of standard. FML.

barbernator

HSC
And so my teacher didn't get the deal done. -___________- Which means I have to prove myself by blitzing the prelim yearly, which I have a feeling I did not. The joys of standard. FML.
just beg and plead. Get your parents on the case, have a meeting with the principal, do whatever it takes.

Jikky

HSC
But what should be the basis of the argument? I'm sure they won't take terrible scaling as an excuse. lol
Thanks for the reply :)

Jikky

HSC
So am I doomed? :'(

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
But what should be the basis of the argument? I'm sure they won't take terrible scaling as an excuse. lol
Thanks for the reply :)
Personally, I think it's a perfectly valid excuse (of course, with other reasons). Show them the UAC scaling document, the stats for Standard is justify that the odds of doing better in standard is far slimmer than doing well in advanced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)