Optometry (1 Viewer)

TooF

I did HSC Chem and Bio, and I think I should be able to catch up on physics.. I know its a major disadvantage but hopefully working my butt off should pay off in the end :)
Thanks for all the insight into Optom.. really needed to know what I was getting into (or trying to get into)

PS T-I-M-M-Y, the word 'condolences' are kinda harsh in reference to my UAI - it wasnt tooo bad... just not what I wanted. Got any other words for me? :p

TooF

PS. If I don't make the cut off, to whom should I write a letter to? and what should I say/request in the letter? Should this be before of after the offers come out?

Linda N

HSC
N/A
^Fruit^ said:
besides that, there's always the option of doing a science based course in the first year, but apparently when i emailed my teacher, she told me about this student who begged and finally got into a course for which she was 13 UAI points short of. maybe they'd consider students with less than one uai point below cut off? hehe
13 points short off?! :confused: How did the student do that? Thats impossible.

Last edited:

TooF

Linda N said:
13 points short off?! :confused: How did the student do that? Thats impossible.
hehe I have nooo idea but they must've been good, or had some difficulties throughout the year like an chronic illness, etc
But here's to quote my teacher:

"You can always contact the uni and ask them to reconsider. I know a girl who got into a course 13marks above her UAI by going and talking to the head of school.
Something to keep in mind maybe. I also have a friend who didn't get enough marks for nursing and she went and begged and got in and did well in the course..."

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think those are exceptional circumstances. If everybody begged and got in, there wouldn't be a need for cut-offs.

sunsta2

HSC
what should a letter say if it where possible to get u in

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Say why you deserve a place in optometry of course! Explain why you didn't make the cut offs. Show them you are capable to do well in Optometry and is passionate about it at the same time.

stainmepink

HSC
how much is full fee per year?

ohne said:
there is no harm in trying....if you are desperate there is nothing wrong with writing a letter to the dean or doing something else

although don't forget, overall university applications are down by something like 10% this year, so if anything there will be downward presure on UAI scores (this effect will likely be less so on hard-entry courses though)

if optometry is something you are really keen on doing and are worried on missing out you can always go full-fee, if you perform well in first year, with your UAI you will have a good chanceof transfering to a commonwealth supported place

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I suggest if you got less than 98 (probably won't make the cut-off) you should send it now. it won't make a difference if you send it after the cut-off is out.
If you got above 98, send it after the cut-off release to make sure you know you didn't make it. Because it sounds stupid to beg when you're already in.

TooF

^Fruit^

hehe good idea :)
btw, would you have time to have a life studying optometry? or would every second be contributed to studies?

Linda N

HSC
N/A
Hey Survivor39, those uni textbooks ur selling; can it be borrowed from ur library? Just wanna noe in advance.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
You can borrow them for 1 week at the Open Reserve. Student card require.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)