Orchestral Lovers? (1 Viewer)

specky2009

HSC
Hey guys, I was just wandering if their are many people here who like orchestral works, particularly contemporary styles? Film Music for one and people like Phillip Glass and Christopher Gordon.
What do you listen to? Who or any recommendations?
If I could suggest one, the soundtrack to Signs by James Newton Howard, bloody brilliant stuff.
xoxo

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Harry Gregson-Williams and Hans Zimmer are probably my favourite western film score composers, even if some elitists would scoff at that and claim that they're overrated.

As for just general orchestral stuff, Prokofiev's Peter And The Wolf is always entertaining. It's just slightly too long for me to listen to extremely often, though. XD

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If you're a fan of Philip Glass, make sure you check out the movie Koyaanisqatsi. Not only did he score the entire thing, but it's a breathtakingly beautiful visual film in its own right.

LetsGetBIZET

HSC
I play in an orchestra and every thing we play is AWESOME!
Most recently, we played the entire Tchaik 5. The second and last movement is my fav - absolutely love it :)

specky2009

HSC
Thanks guys those are really great ideas. I wish I could play in an orchestra but I don't have the time, or most probably the talent lol. I will look into that movie as well with Phillip Glass' music.

philphie

Banned
HSC
i love Philip Glass, Steve Riech, Terry Riley, John Cage and John Rose.

oh and also kronos quartet, sufjan stevens.

kronos quartet were amazing in sydney this year playing john rose's music for 4 fences AMAZING!!!! they also covered sigur ros!!!! i was the only one to scream though and everyone was staring at me...

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Harry Gregson-Williams and Hans Zimmer are probably my favourite western film score composers, even if some elitists would scoff at that and claim that they're overrated.

As for just general orchestral stuff, Prokofiev's Peter And The Wolf is always entertaining. It's just slightly too long for me to listen to extremely often, though. XD
The Clarinet part for this is mad fun to play (I'm studying Clarinet at the Sydney Con)

I like Michael Giacchino's film/TV scores... also Bear McCreary's score for Battlestar Galactica is probably the best TV/film score ever in my opinion.

Also Ennio Morricone's compositions are always amazing

As for Orchestral stuff...

Mahler, Luciano Berio, Debussy, Strauss, Stravinsky, Schubert, Shostakovich, Grieg, Beethoven, Telemann, Saint-Saens, Rachmaninov, Poulenc, Pierre Boulez are some of my current favourites

philphie

Banned
HSC
why pay to go to an ochestra when you can hear me in the toilet for free?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)