Organ donorship (1 Viewer)

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
yeh im an organ donor.. just like im a blood donor
its not that i need it.. and one day i might need an organ transplant or blood transfusion and its kinda hipocritical to take and not give
i understand some people cant give blood because they have low iron.. anemia etc and some people cant give organs because of diseases.. but the majority of australians do have the ability to give blood they are just lazy or claim to hate needles (wait till they have a bunch of needles and pipes supporting their life.. or see someone in that situation)
u gotta see john q as well.. the sweetest movie

R

randhi

yeh i have to agree, i think donating blood is just as useful as donating organs. i would donate my blood but unfortunately i'm anemic. damn that, but i'm a full organ donor.

cayte

It's all well and good to have said you're an organ donor on your licence, but your next of kin needs to approve it when you die, and the decision needs to be made in kinda a hurry. You have to be 'brain-dead', which has all sorts of rules associated with it; basically you have to be in hospital attached to all sorts of machines that keep your body functioning. It's pretty rare that a death results in the ability to harvest organs. It's something like less than 1%. Tissue donation's a bit different. You still need next of kin's approval though. All very pleasant stuff to think about.

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
im donating all my organs.
and i think people who become cadivers are wonderful people, although i know i couldnt do it..however im fine with my organs being removed (weird)
I know, but its different from helping individuals and from being the next lesson for uni student...its not as if THEY further medicine whilst still in Uni...Plus I've seen too many movies

Originally posted by cayte
It's all well and good to have said you're an organ donor on your licence, but your next of kin needs to approve it when you die, and the decision needs to be made in kinda a hurry. You have to be 'brain-dead', which has all sorts of rules associated with it; basically you have to be in hospital attached to all sorts of machines that keep your body functioning. It's pretty rare that a death results in the ability to harvest organs. It's something like less than 1%. Tissue donation's a bit different. You still need next of kin's approval though. All very pleasant stuff to think about.
Actually, they are changing the law in that too, simply because the next of kin are doing that too much...now it is proposed if you've indicated you're donating, thats whats gonna happen. The only exception to this are underaged children and the unsound who aren't capable of making that decision themselves.

cayte

I haven't heard about that. Got a link to an article or anything? I know there's a national registry of organ donors, but you still ultimately need family permission. Most cases the family will comply if they know that's what you want. It would be a pretty mean-hearted next of kin who would deny that.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I told my family I want to donate everything except my eyes (so sue me), and it's not on my license. They have to ask my family anyway, and that way its impossible for anything bad to happen, however unlikely it is.
And yes, I'm most certainly a blood donor, not least because im the rarest bloodtype in Australia.. (AB-, 1% of pop)

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Originally posted by Josie
I told my family I want to donate everything except my eyes (so sue me), and it's not on my license. They have to ask my family anyway, and that way its impossible for anything bad to happen, however unlikely it is.
And yes, I'm most certainly a blood donor, not least because im the rarest bloodtype in Australia.. (AB-, 1% of pop)
I am more squeemish about giving blood than organs. It's the needles I think.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Amen to that.

I'm a doner when I die. It says rigth here on my L's. ;)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Does it really matter? If you die as an organ donor, then isn't that what you will 'remember'?

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
i'm a full organ donator.. i pondered a bit over whether i want them cutting up my eyes, but if it's gonna help another person see the beauty or grossness (depending on where u are) of the world.. then why not....
i'm not so sure about donating blood.. my school is doing it next week, i'm not a huge fan of needles, so i don't think i will... i don't know really.. has anyone ever had one before? do they hurt?

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Originally posted by nessie_lee
i'm not so sure about donating blood.. my school is doing it next week, i'm not a huge fan of needles, so i don't think i will... i don't know really.. has anyone ever had one before? do they hurt?
i've never donated blood, but that is really just because i am lazy. i have no problem with needles, and drawing blood is usually completely painless. you barely feel anything more than a slight itch

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
until your arm goes numb afterwards :D

malkin86

HSC
Um, I asked the people who came to talk up organ donating how you would look after donating the works, and they said 'like after having major surgery - some people even have open-cask funerals after donating everything'.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Holy crap. There's no way I'm donating anything. They take the organs out while your body's still functioning. What if I MIGHT WAKE UP FROM MY COMA OR PULL THROUGH?

Bugger off. They can only take my organs once they've refined a process so they take them AFTER I'm good and dead. For a whole 3 minutes. So there's no oxygen in my head. Actually, make it 10. I want to be REALLY dead.

cayte

You're actually brain-dead, meaning the only reason you're still "alive" is because there is a machine pumping your heart, a machine working your lungs and a machine putting nutrients in and taking waste out, amongst other machines. Which is why even if you do donate it's unlikely they'll ever be able to be used. If you're too dead the organs are useless anyway. Besides, I'm sure no one wants your organs anyway Keypad ;).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)