Organised. (1 Viewer)

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
How are we all organised for the coming year. There's the people with their individual A4 books for each subject, some neatly protected with plastic wrap - others not. There's those people with the ginormous folder containing every possible little scrap of paper and bulging at the seems. There's the people carrying around display folders for each subject (no more folding and pasting sheets it would seem). There's the people who bring nothing more than a couple of pens and scrawl multiple pages of incredibly small handwriting on small pages. Those with neatly colour-coded everythings, so that biology becomes a green affair while math becomes a red.

How are you going about it?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
My suggestion:

Get a thick folder, plastic dividers > paper dividers because the holes on the side wear out. Keep a reasonable thick A4 Spirax notebook in each section, or alternatively, a stack of loose, lined A4 sheets. That would be for the notes you take during class, and exercises.

Also keep a small stack of plastic sleeves at the back because some booklets (we had stacks and stacks of them in EE1) are too thick to have holes punched through them by a mini-puncher. Use plastic colour-coded post-its to sort the plastic sleeves.

Finally, make sure you have a mini hole-puncher at the front and sort every sheet you get into their sections when you get them. Don't shove it in the plastic sleeve the folder provides because it'll build up and get really out of hand. :p Cut that plastic bit off if you have to. It's evil.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
yeah, plastic sleeves are a MUST if you have folders. you need them, lots of them. You may also consider getting a small folder for each topic of your subjects. It makes revising a lot less daunting.

P

pLuvia

I tried a folder system, but it didn't work. In year 12:

* Book for each subject
* Folder for each subtopic
i.e. English Mod A, B, C, AoS - one folder
Biology - Maintaining a balance, the others - one folder
* And plastic sleeves
* Own based notes for each folder, which will be inside
* For maths may have a formula book, as a lot of formulae will be learnt
* Japanese, own structure, vocabulary book

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i ended up doing it this way:
- books for each subject (i've tried working using the folder system thingy but it doesnt work for me)
- those plastic project folders, one for each subject, and when they fill up i'm transferring the notes/revision in them into one big lever arch file (which will eventually become the starting point for hsc revision coz almost everything will be in there)
- plastic sleeves galore

i still dont feel organised, however. i felt more organised when my work was strewn from one end of the house to the other, for some reason. :p

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I'll probably have a folder for each subject, with each folder containing looseleaf paper, plastic sheets, a workbook, and whatnot. Hmmm... I better go get those books, actually...

I_F

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
My suggestion:

Get a thick folder, plastic dividers > paper dividers because the holes on the side wear out. Keep a reasonable thick A4 Spirax notebook in each section, or alternatively, a stack of loose, lined A4 sheets. That would be for the notes you take during class, and exercises.

Also keep a small stack of plastic sleeves at the back because some booklets (we had stacks and stacks of them in EE1) are too thick to have holes punched through them by a mini-puncher. Use plastic colour-coded post-its to sort the plastic sleeves.
Aw man, looks like I'll be spending the last day of freedom at Officeworks after all...

duggoh

Adam
HSC
I went shopping today...
I also tried the binder approach in yr 11, but i just felt unorganised for some reason.

So i bought:
+ 240page spiral lecture book for each subject (eng, ext eng, society and culture, ancient history, modern history and history extension)
+ Plastic divider thing (really weird, has about 10 pockets, ppl use them 2 organise bills and finances and stuff)... which im gonna put all worksheets into.
+new stationary and pencil case.

Good luck guys!

Always

HSC
Big folder which contains:

- loose leaf sheets
- dividers for each subject
- section for assessment notices, tests, etc. (also has dividers)
- plastic sleeves
- LOTS of colored flags

For home:

- folder for each subject
- I file each topic as soon as I'm done with it so my school folder doesn't get chunky and it makes revision easier
- notebook for each subject so I can make notes as I go

Hmm... fun. ;)

HSC
N/A
I have been trying seriously since year 9 to get a system that works for me.... and I always fail. But, I think this year I may have finally got it right - as long as I try my hardest to keep organised. :rolleyes:

I guess I've always just completely hated and been thrown off by teachers that don't have any set way of teaching.... like one unit they're giving you dozens and dozens of handouts, then suddenly you're doing all overheads and textbook work. It's hard for me to get a system that works for so many different types of classwork.

Anyway.

Thankfully Art is easy to get organised for. I have my Art diary, and a folder aswell. I plan on getting two copies of each handout, one for my VAPD, and another for the folder.... and any written work/study etc can go in the folder.

For D-Tech, I like to use just a spiral book. We hardly ever get handouts, so there's no real need for a folder or anything for mass organisation. I'll probably also get another folder, or a display book, for putting all the work just concerning the Major Design Project, until I actually start to get the Portfolio into shape.

Religion/English/Ancient I have a subject folder each. In each folder is an exercise book, looseleaf paper and plastic sleeves. I am going to have to write myself a note on the front of each folder "ORGANISE HANDOUTS" because I generally put them into the plastic sleeves at the back and forget about them.... until the sleeves are full and break.

I also have lever arch folders for each subject, which will have dividers breaking up each unit. These folders will be kept at home. Once a unit of work is over, I will transfer the bulk of it from my school subject folder to my home subject folder. Hopefully I can get this to work.

Oh yeah, I also bought small A5 notebooks for each subject. I've never really been one to take notes in class, because I hate the way they're so messy and unorganised in your school book. So I'm going to start flipping out the little notebook, taking notes.... and then transfering them to my exercise book after putting them in a logical order/organising them a bit.

For the exercise books, I've got 128 page A4 ones. Do you guys think it's a better idea to just work in them until full, or instead buy smaller exercise books (say 72 pages or so) and use them for just one unit of work? I generally find that most Art/D-Tech work is all very relevant to all the work you do all year.... but I guess with subjects like English/Religion/Ancient, it's better to split up each unit for better organisation.

Meh. I'll probably have to revise this whole 'system' in the Christmas holidays anyway. I'm just so hopeless at being organised. I can always work out great ways to stay organised, and put good systems in place - but I never actually stick to them. :rolleyes:

Hope you've all found something that works for you! :)

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Oh also - I have colours for each subject too. English has been light blue for the past couple of years, Religion yellow, Art purple, D-Tech orange and Ancient History light green. If I use any dividers in my folders, I keep them the subject colour.

I find that for visual learners, if you associate each subject with a certain colour, and use that colour when highlighting info on that subject, keeping the highlighter and it's colour on show when you're studying, taking it into an exam.... it helps you recall things, and stay organised. If English is ALWAYS blue, and there's blue around when you're in class, when you're studying, and when you go into an exam - it helps your mind more to order things, stay focused and realise - "Yes, this is English. I know this”

If that's all just too much for you, it's still good to get at least one colour with you. Colours can have a great effect on your mood.... if you find that you're always bored in class, not concentrating - maybe you should have something with you in class that keeps you alert. Cadmium yellow is a great colour for waking you up and lifting your mood. It keeps you alert. It promotes positive thinking, warmth and wisdom. Large amounts of the colour have also been proven to sharpen memory.

Colours like violet can also give a nice soothing effect. Violet generally signifies sleep and peace. Being surrounded my large amounts of it actually lowers blood pressure, and slows down your breathing. If you find that you’re incredibly stressed out in a certain subject – maybe you need some violet with you. It could be as simple as getting a little bit of purple fabric from Spotlight, and keeping a 5cm square of it in your pencil case. Or just keeping a piece of purple paper in there. And if violet is not your thing, darker blues can also have the same effect.

Green is another great colour, as it symbolises growth, development, rejuvenation. Green is the colour of nature, the colour of growth and peace. It also promotes balance. It is also the easiest colour to look at, as it is the complete opposite of the strongest colour in the visible spectrum – red.

It’s a very good idea to avoid red. Red folders, red pencil cases, red books…. Large amounts of red are not a good thing to have with you in class really. Red is a hot colour, and a very strong colour. It doesn’t promote calmness, concentration, and positive thinking. It actually promotes anger, aggression, strength. Large amounts of it raise the blood pressure, increase respiratory rate, and promote strength and a wanting to move. It’s basically just too intense to promote a stable and concentrated mental state.

If you’re only into black and white – go for white. White is basically pure light, and promotes an uncluttered, straight forward kind of feel. Black on the other hand, is the colour of night and the colour our body recognises as sleep. Small doses can make one feel sophisticated, mysterious and enigmatic…. But large doses pretty much make the body want sleep, and feel fatigued.

Anyway…. I know most of you probably think Colour Theory/Symbolism/Psychology etc is a load of rubbish, but I just felt like sharing because I know that it works for me, and it generally has a strong bearing on ‘visual’ type people and ‘visual’ learners. There’s been a lot of research and study in the area over the past century, and some of it is actually quite interesting…. And very true. The stuff about certain colours for certain subjects generally relates to things like memory and recall. It has been proven that certain sights, sounds and smells can trigger off memories, and help people to recall things. And it is possible to use this to your advantage…. Whether it be with colour, or studying with a certain perfume/body spray on, then wearing it in the exam. Smell is the strongest sense, and ‘odour memory’ is the least likely to be forgotten. But visual learners may be able to organise their thoughts better with colours.

After all, memories are made by what is perceived through our senses. Scenes from your childhood…. Like say, going to the beach with your family – can be entirely recalled just by walking past someone stinking of sunscreen. Suddenly you remember exactly where you were, how you felt, even things like the general temperature…. Or if there was a slight breeze.

All our memories are tagged with certain sensory qualities…. And those memories can be evoked (recalled) by re-living that sensory experience.

Why not take advantage of that? ;)

Last edited:

Always

HSC
That's practically an essay! And I read it all. :p I'm a visual learner and I love the "effects of colour on memory" theories. I did a science experiment on it once. haha! :D

P

pLuvia

Visual learning is really good in my opinion. Although sometimes it can be a but messy :(

Guernica

HSC
Wow! Etc. etc. etc., you rock! I might try this this year - the colour thing. Maybe the perfume one too.

I hadn't really thought of any organisation system yet. You guys are way ahead of me :p

Last year I had, originally, a big folder with a section of loose leaf, and plastic sleeves for each subject. It got messy though, and I got over carrying the folder. So basically it ended up being one plastic sleeve for each subject with current work in it - no organisation at all. It sucked massively, but it was too late to sort anything out.

So basically, I don't know what I'll do this year. If only we had lockers at my school - it would be so much easier, as I wouldn't have to worry about the chiropractic consequences of my organisation system.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
my simple hopefulli-works plan:
1. use loose leaf for everything.
2. use a book for maths homework (cause there will b a lot i presume) but write important stuff in loose leaf
3. at home: use another folder and make notes on loose leaf as i learn them .

done. =]
btw. etc.etc.etc.'s..... long response is fab. xD

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
My suggestion:

Finally, make sure you have a mini hole-puncher at the front and sort every sheet you get into their sections when you get them. Don't shove it in the plastic sleeve the folder provides because it'll build up and get really out of hand. :p Cut that plastic bit off if you have to. It's evil.
Wouldn't this folder be absolutely gigantic? 7 x 240 page notebooks

They come *that* big?

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Also, what do you guys do with your home-revision notes?

At the end of my year 11 studies, over the course of the year, I must of had over 100 pages of completed maths questions, and assorted amounts of paper for my other topics. I also had around 15 or so practice essays which I just wasnt sure what to do with (especially the older ones). *Because* I wasnt sure I kind of kept ALL of it, and it became a pile on my floor the likes of which my dog had no power to topple - and she's a labrador.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
I cleaned upall my Year 11 stuff and fit it into 4 folders.

For this year, for school I'll just take the usual textbooks and folders to do everything in, then I'll have a speacial exercise book for each subject in which I'll make revision notes at the end of each week/topic?

Hmmm....

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
So have i, i cleaned out all my year 11 stuff and put them aside ( i might need them later).
I'm a very bad organisor of schoolwork.
My organisation always fails. Thanks for your all your advice on oraganisation (and colours).

TYCOT

Imperium
HSC
although year 12 starts tomorrow, i'm just going to carry through

1 folder for each subject (with topic separators)

loose leaf for initial notes

a3 study mindmaps stapled (and folded to have it a4 sized) accordingly to topic/sub topic and into plastic leaf folders

thats about it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)