Organising Work (merged) (1 Viewer)

Folders or Books?

• Total voters

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Just wondering on this cause through Year 11 this year and year 12 last year i was and am the only person who has folders and loose leaf paper. I found this easier to keep my notes organised and easier to find when studying and making notes (most people were starting to panic and trying to find work and organise stuff around term 3 causing stress).

Does anyone else use folders and loose leaf paper?.

Last edited:

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Re: Folders or Books?

I use folders for English and books for everything else.

12o9

HSC

I used to use folders and loose sleeves but then the folders kept breaking for some reason xD. So I switched to display folders and books =).

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

marcquelle said:
Why just for English why not for everything?
Well with English I tend to recieve heaps of sheets and I can scribble things down on loose leaf. I can also organise things much better than I can if I were to use books.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC

lol i had the same problem orignally last year but worked out that it was my bag in the end lol.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC

Doctor Jolly said:
Well with English I tend to recieve heaps of sheets and I can scribble things down on loose leaf. I can also organise things much better than I can if I were to use books.
opposite for me. English i recieve hardly anything everything else mainly get hand outs. get nothing in EXT Eng we don't write anything ever!

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

marcquelle said:
opposite for me. English i recieve hardly anything everything else mainly get hand outs. get nothing in EXT Eng we don't write anything ever!
Wow, you guys don't even note take in class? I do heaps of that for Ext. English and we also receive heaps of sheets from my teacher. I've actually run into my 2nd folder for this year.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC

Doctor Jolly said:
Wow, you guys don't even note take in class? I do heaps of that for Ext. English and we also receive heaps of sheets from my teacher. I've actually run into my 2nd folder for this year.
Yeah my ext teacher this year sucks big time. My teacher last time all we did was mainly write and do tasks all the time and talk aswell. This teacher does nothing and gets sidetracked we've all complained and this one girl so stupid in class and still hasn't done the assignment from term 1 and didn't do the assignment for last term evenly remotely close to what we had to do.

Getting abit off tangent lol.

Last edited:

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC

Folder, with plastic sleeves for hand-outs and some loose-leaf for note taking (I file it after in subject groups). For Maths however, I use a book like everyone else.

I've always been an advocate for books but I tend to spend too much time trying to make my book look neat and organised, which became a problem in senior years where you just don't have time to make everything look perfect. With loose-leaf, you don't have to be as neat because you know you can always take it out and rewrite it on a seperate sheet if it is absolutely necessary to do so. I reckon this is probably the biggest advantage of having loose-leaf, you can easily take one section out and work on it (add notes and so forth), as opposed to books, which is fairly fixed and static - especially in regards to rearranging your notes into chronological order (serveral my teacher jumps from places to places).

Also, you don't have to carry around as much. The fact that I usually have 5 or more subjects, out of a total of 6, means that the weight of carrying books becomes significant. Although I use a folder and everything, it's still very heavy considering the number of textbooks I have to carry around. By using loose-leaf, I can take just enough for the day, without having any excess.

I'll admit the disadvantage is that they can become lost (though this has never happened to me) and that you don't put as much effort into it (since it's not something like a book, which you try to keep as organised as possible). But yeah, I reckon the advantages outweight the disadvantages. :D

12o9

HSC

marcquelle said:
lol i had the same problem orignally last year but worked out that it was my bag in the end lol.
Rofl. I usually hold my folder though =/. Maybe i wasnt taking enough care with it :)

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC

Oh yeah, I should add that while I take notes in class for Physics, Chemistry and Economics, I type up my notes on my laptop - there's just so much that it's not viable to handwrite it.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC

i love having folders i remain so organised and don't lose anything lol. And i write lots of notes in everything else. one side of the paper is notes from the board etc. the other side is notes that i take down while the teacher is talking or an idea/ concept for english assements lol.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC

Continuum said:
Oh yeah, I should add that while I take notes in class for Physics, Chemistry and Economics, I type up my notes on my laptop - there's just so much that it's not viable to handwrite it.
i do that with some of my study notes mainly bio and chem.

louise08

HSC

I use one folder for every subject with dividers and loose paper, I take this one folder to school and home every day.
Then once I have finish a topic for a subject I take those notes out and place them into a folder for that particular subject that I keep at home. (in each subject folder at home I have all my class work in order and in sub topics, +summarys, study notes then exams papers.)
For maths however I use a book and a display folder for loose sheets. I find a book is easier for maths.

Devouree

Good names already taken.
HSC

Rebekkie said:
i use a laptop for eng, ext eng, ext 2 eng, modern and eco with the written work.
I started to do that, then discovered I was typing way too much. There's this temptation to type alot more than you would if you were handwriting it.

Folder, with exercise books for class.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

Devouree said:
I started to do that, then discovered I was typing way too much. There's this temptation to type alot more than you would if you were handwriting it.

Folder, with exercise books for class.
And it gives you practise for in class essays if you write by hand.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC

I use a display folder for English and exercise book for everything else. We're not allowed to use exercise books for English. I prefer using exercise books though. With folders its odd because I dont try as hard. It's because I always have my sheets bundled together, and all over the place - I end up losing them all.

HSC

I use folders, dividers, paper and plastic sleeves. I have one folder for each subject at home, one i take to school and one for study notes, the one i take to school has dividers in it, one for each subject, then when i am finished a topic i put it in my folder at home with more dividers in it (one for each topic). I use it because i never lose things, if i was to use an exersise book i would go through at least one a topic, maybe 2 in english.

btw if your folders are breaking do not use those lever arch ones, go for the 4 ring ones, the covers occasionally start to spilt after a while, but the rings don't and the paper does not move around like it does in 2 ring folders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)