Organising Work (merged) (1 Viewer)

Folders or Books?

• Total voters

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Re: Folders or Books?

I use a folder with loose leaf a divider with loose leaf paper, divider and tabs etc.
When the term finishes, or we finish a module or section, I remove all the work, makes notes on that module and keep it in a separate folder at home.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

I use books - however, I havea folder for loose pages.

Cerry

HSC

Folders for everything. That way, I can take crap out and re-organise it easily (Our English teachers jump all over the place when they're teaching). It also makes it easier to give people notes they've missed, cause they can just take the sheets, rather than the whole book.
Most of the people in my year who were using books last year have switched over, because they found that it was too hard to study from the books, with stuff all over the place.

blackglitter

HSC

Continuum said:
Folder, with plastic sleeves for hand-outs and some loose-leaf for note taking (I file it after in subject groups). For Maths however, I use a book like everyone else.

I've always been an advocate for books but I tend to spend too much time trying to make my book look neat and organised, which became a problem in senior years where you just don't have time to make everything look perfect. With loose-leaf, you don't have to be as neat because you know you can always take it out and rewrite it on a seperate sheet if it is absolutely necessary to do so. I reckon this is probably the biggest advantage of having loose-leaf, you can easily take one section out and work on it (add notes and so forth), as opposed to books, which is fairly fixed and static - especially in regards to rearranging your notes into chronological order (serveral my teacher jumps from places to places).

Also, you don't have to carry around as much. The fact that I usually have 5 or more subjects, out of a total of 6, means that the weight of carrying books becomes significant. Although I use a folder and everything, it's still very heavy considering the number of textbooks I have to carry around. By using loose-leaf, I can take just enough for the day, without having any excess.

I'll admit the disadvantage is that they can become lost (though this has never happened to me) and that you don't put as much effort into it (since it's not something like a book, which you try to keep as organised as possible). But yeah, I reckon the advantages outweight the disadvantages. :D
Same, i started off using books but they filled up pretty quick (and got pretty messy :p). So now i organise everything in loose leaf sections according to classes and only keep a book for maths. Plus having a folder helps with the ton of hand outs we keep getting and its easier to store away work that you won't need for a few months so if by chance you folder does get lost, you don't have a nervous breakdown thinking that all your notes for the whole year got lost (trust me, not pretty - it happened to a friend of mine last year, but she did get her folder back in the end)

bored of sc

HSC

Exercise books and folders and exercise books in folders - depends on the subject.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC

It's amazing for me to see how many people acutually use folders and loose leaf (no-one at my school does apart from me). And how all these people say they remained organised. I use a folder and loose leaf paper for maths as well i find it easier to revise (i don't know why cause even last year i had books lol, then switched halfway through this year.)

Those of you who have an exercise book i gather that most of you don't paste things in ( going from the poll).

OsamaBinLaden

Banned
HSC

marcquelle said:
Just wondering on this cause through Year 11 this year and year 12 last year i was and am the only person who has folders and loose leaf paper. I found this easier to keep my notes organised and easier to find when studying and making notes (most people were starting to panic and trying to find work and organise stuff around term 3 causing stress).

Does anyone else use folders and loose leaf paper?.
WTF?!?! You went BACK to year 11?

Why?!?!

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC

OsamaBinLaden said:
WTF?!?! You went BACK to year 11?

Why?!?!
To prove that just casue you do creative arts does not make you stupid. And so that i can follow my aspiration.

Last edited:

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC

No just UAC but they said to me that arts aren't intellectual. I want to better myself and follow my aspirations.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC

I stated off this year (year 11) using only book except for with economics, where I used a folder + loose leaf pages. Now, economics is the only subject I am organised in, so I guess that's an indicator as to how I am going to approach organisation next year.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Tully B. said:
I stated off this year (year 11) using only book except for with economics, where I used a folder + loose leaf pages. Now, economics is the only subject I am organised in, so I guess that's an indicator as to how I am going to approach organisation next year.
Yeah. i reckon for the HSC loose leaf paper is the way to go.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC

the-derivative said:
Yeah. i reckon for the HSC loose leaf paper is the way to go.
I agree, it's much easier to stay organised, and do revision then with a book. Thats just my opinion everyone is different though.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC

Yes it appears so. I'm surprised really cause even people at TAFE don't do it (except for the course we're doing which has a lot of sheets lol)

rambam92

HSC

I use one big folder for Economics, English advanced and extension, Maths and German, using dividers between each subject of course.
Then when i have finished that particular topic in class i will shift all my work related to that into a specific subject folder. So basically i have a folder for all my subjects and use one big seperate one at school
however for chemistry i use a spiral book and place the sheets that we are given in the chemistry folder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)