Orientation at UTS (1 Viewer)

shimmer205

HSC
Hey,

What's orientation like at UTS? I know there are lots of faculty welcomes - are they worth attending?
Also, is the fun part of orientation really only for one day (O day)?
Obviously UTS orientation sounds a lot less epic than the orientation programs at USYD and UNSW, but is it a fun program anyway?

Thanks

purplemonkey

HSC
Depends on what degree you're doing. With nursing the faculty welcome can be quite useful because you find out who all your contacts are - this is pretty handy when clinical time rolls around and no one has any idea who to talk to about it.

The O-Day is just when all the clubs and societies have their booths out in the tower. You can join them if you want, most of them are free I think.

If you're already pretty familiar with UTS I wouldn't bother going.

shimmer205

HSC
Well this is most disheartening.

Guess I shall be crashing USYD's O Week parties. Sigh.

thenothing

no member
HSC
I'm doing education at the Kuring Gai campus, is it worth going to the orientation there? I'm working both days and I'm casual so I'd rather work, but if it's important I'll go.

sabrieba

HSC
N/A
Hey, yeah UTS Orientation is pretty long and there are heaps of sessions. I heard that if you are going to go to anything go to an Official Welcome and your own Faculty Welcome.

The Faculty Welcomes are pretty helpful. You get to meet a lot of the teaching staff and other students that will be in your classes.

Looks like they do only have 1 day were there are student club set up. I heard that on the same day there is a massive party and there will be heaps of bands and like 5 bars set up across the campus.

I have some friends that went last year and they said it was pretty cool. They said there was like free BBQs throughout the week and you get some free stuff too - always good!

sabrieba

HSC
N/A
Oh yeah forgot to mention that the Orientation at Kuring-gai is worth it but if you're strapped for time only go to the stuff on the Thursday. There is a free BBQ and bands and stuff as well as some helpful info if you haven't studied at UTS before.

Vexrz

HSC
engineering and i.t students go on a 2-3day camp for orientation.

red-butterfly

HSC
You should go :) there are a lot of friendly faces out to help you and it's at least gives you a bit of a familiarity of where everything is around UTS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)