Orientation Day (1 Viewer)

is a roflcopter
HSC
ok since i missed every single open day :D

whens the uni orientation days?
and are they on different times for different courses?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Theyre one week before uni begins - late February/early March. I think all Undergrads have em around the same time.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
oh that's o week or something
do you mean that thingy in january that helps you decide on your courses after you get your UAI?
it's 5 Jan for both unsw and usyd i think.. hmm, quite dodgey
and not sure about uts

is a roflcopter
HSC
why is it dodgy
its like the last exit before signing yourself off for another 5 years

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by Newbie
why is it dodgy
its like the last exit before signing yourself off for another 5 years
i think she maybe meant dodgy cos usyd and unsw are on the same day ..?

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Is the UNSW Expo/open day on 5th Jan as well?

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
UNSW expo/openday was yesterday mate... wasn't it?

The one on Jan 5th is a day or 2 before the changing prefs. close at UAC, to push you in that direction, I guess..

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah and all the unis have it on the same day, well they did last year

SoFTuaRiaL

yes, theyre on the same day. u SHOULD have made up ur mind on what to do by then. the main reason they got that day is to answer "what choices do i have if i dont get into my first preference?"
it gives u insight on alternatives to get into the course u r so keen on doing if u dont make it initially. for eg, i was worried abt gettn into seng, so they advised me on taking comp sci and transferring etc etc

timmii

sporadic attendee
Those days aren't really like the open days to which u guys have just been. There are a couple of lectures and booklets and guides etc, but its not a huge festival thing. Basically you should go there knowing your UAI and just checking out the options and make last minute decisions rather than going there to get the initial information which is what the purpose of the august/september days are. Read the booklets etc now, make up ur preferences and by january when you should be able to have narrowed down your choices you may go to the open days to just ask a few last minute questions or have one last look at the facilities...Last year it was the day before final prefs were in.

As for unsw/usyd being on the same day, you wouldnt really need to be at either for too long, and its not like you have any assessments due the next day either! :D :p Hehe as an added incentive (as though u need it), i think if you get above 90 or 95 UAI u get invited to usyd on the day before...so you can spread ur decision-making over 2 days then! :p

jnothman

dismember
HSC
Now that the open days have been, the next information days in January are about subject selection mostly, although for many, they are still choosing courses...

I don't remember ALL the unis having it the same day last year, I remember USyd and UNSW on the same day, but that's ok, cause there's the 378 bus....

- Joel

timmii

sporadic attendee
Hmm true about the subject selection...I didn't think of that because i didnt get a choice in my subjects. :eek: Most of that week was spent writing up pro/con lists and driving my parents mad by changing my mind every 20mins :rolleyes: ;)

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by timmii
Hehe as an added incentive (as though u need it), i think if you get above 90 or 95 UAI u get invited to usyd on the day before...so you can spread ur decision-making over 2 days then! :p
maybe thats only if ur first pref is at usyd?

Originally posted by jnothman
Now that the open days have been, the next information days in January are about subject selection mostly, although for many, they are still choosing courses...

but u dont get ur preference by then. why would u be allowed to choose subjects so early? thats only during enrolment day, not during the information session

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by timmii
Hehe as an added incentive (as though u need it), i think if you get above 90 or 95 UAI u get invited to usyd on the day before...so you can spread ur decision-making over 2 days then! :p
I thought it was for ppl who got over ~99 ?

Originally posted by jnothman
Still choosing courses? Well they better choose quick on that day, cos they'll have less than 48 hours before UAC closes and preferences are locked

timmii

sporadic attendee
There was a special tea thing for 99.95 and 100 ppl. Then there was a general lecture thing for 99+ and then there was a separate "wander around, collect pamphlets and ask questions" section which i thought was for 95+, but thats just coz i saw randoms there who i know didnt get 99+, so perhaps it was 99+ and they tagged along...:confused: Doesnt matter where usyd was on ur prefs, as long as it was on there somewhere.

There was also a special lunch for talented science students, where i think they were given a rundown on potential subjects etc...and told how wonderful usyd is (all true of course! :p )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)