Othello Essay (1 Viewer)

evee_888

HSC
How have dramatic techniques been used to reveal the interplay between power and powerlessness in Othello?

Could someone please help me understand the essay question and what I would have to talk about in the essay.

Thank you

theind1996

HSC
N/A
How have dramatic techniques been used to reveal the interplay between power and powerlessness in Othello?

Could someone please help me understand the essay question and what I would have to talk about in the essay.

Thank you
A simpler way of putting it:

- How have the play's dramatic techniques (dramatic irony, dramatic monologue) have been used to portray the changing power structures throughout Othello (patriarchal values, feminist readings, post-colonial readings).

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Dramatic techniques are those that are pertinent to the drama of the play. Things like language, structure, characterisation. Used when juxtaposed to theatrical techniques e.g. lighting, sound, staging etc.

Basically it's just asking you for evidence in the text that represents the use of power. You can talk about things like race,the role of women, Desdemona compared to Othello etc. Anything that represents power in the text.

evee_888

HSC
So in each body paragraph should I be comparing for example the power of Othello and powerlessness of Iago?
Or should I have a paragraph on the power of Othello and powerlessness of Iago?
Or about the power of Othello as well as his powerlessness?
...If you get what I mean.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Don't think of it necessarily as about power and powerlessness, think about it in broader concepts. Things like the inherent racism in the work. That is what your paragraph should be about. Through the analysis of the theme you highlight the strength or weakness of the character because of this theme. You can do multiple viewpoints on the same theme i.e. how it makes one character weak and another strong in the same paragraph. It just depends on how succinctly you write, and what you want to discuss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)