Other girls doing Engineering Studies? (1 Viewer)

adhara

HSC
Hi! I am just curious about how many other girls are out there doing Engineering Studies. I know I am the only girl at my school who chose it (for about the last 5 years) and I cop a lot of teasing for being the only girl.

I was wondering about other girls out there doing the course. SO please, post your thoughts.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Hey Adhara,

As a girl who did Engineering at Uni some years back, good on you! There should be more of us in this world. Girls rock at Engineering.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
because more guys than girls in the field, and there'd be a reason for that.
they're better of course.

=)

live.fast

HSC
N/A
well you show me the stats for that...becoz ive got the stats for the fact that guys get paid better, and that there are more guys in engineering then chicks (www.fedstats.gov). Why would they get paid better? Why would there be more guys then girls? Easy answer -

guys are better at engineering.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Guys aren't better at all, most girls just aren't interested, chemical being the exception, for reasons I'm not sure have ever been properly investigated.

Studying engineering can be kinda homoerotic in a very male way, all the talk about pins and members and shafts, and what not, in a lecture theatre full of boys acting like they're still in year 9.

Also, if you do engo at uni and you're a girl, there's this really cool perk where you have (entirely serious here) at least 5 guys, literally following you around all day (like sheep) at all times, competing for your attention. It's like going to a prison, but not quite as much so.

dddman

Banned
HSC
my sig has a file that shows the stats about engineering, such as sex stats, employment success at unis and also average salaries and the most women in engineering is actually chemical engineering

SweetSeasons

HSC
I've done the drawing part which I enjoy.. I'm gonna end up teaching it after my degree is finished and i'm a chick

live.fast

HSC
N/A
seriously, we've had change, we're in that kind of society now anyway. Women rights campaignin is bloody everywhere too, but thing is, this is pretty much an equal-equal society now. So when men get paid more, it's not because they've always been paid more, now its because they're in higher positions = they're better. And girls are only slightly higher in chemical engineering...what about all other engineering areas? It's all guys. Because guys are better at engineering (in general).

live.fast

HSC
N/A
when people show me thaaa stats for women being better at men, at engineering in general, then i'll believe it. until then...

guys eaaaaat chiks at engineering.

=)

KD

HSC
N/A
I know girls frequently top Civil Engineering at UNSW and USYD.

Also, engineering happens to be one place where women have started earning the same as men.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Believe it or not, females bring a new perspective to engineering (and really nice, flowery note books - j/k). My best friend from Uni is one of a few top female engineering executives in the country earning good money.

But, yeah why not? Men become nurses. Why stereotype certain professions? It's good money too in engineering. VERY good money and hell of a lot of fun.

Not everyone can say they programmed the twinkle lights in Hyde Park (like me) :D.

The reason women get paid less than men has nothing to do with how good they are. That's a societal thing and it's just wrong.

Last edited:

dddman

Banned
HSC
KD said:
This survey was in 2004 but may give you some info. Generally engineering performs pretty well against the other professions. Read the text as well as the numbers because stats don't tell all the story.

http://www.apesma.asn.au/women/survey_report.asp

you rejected their reports that say unsw is shit for getting a job for undergrads however u support their women report. pfft hypocrite

KD

HSC
N/A
dddman said:
you rejected their reports that say unsw is shit for getting a job for undergrads however u support their women report. pfft hypocrite
I responded to a survey of recent graduates. You made several claims about the vast superiority of UTS over all else. My response to that was given below.

"Basing your whole argument on a single survey is pretty ordinary. A few students can completely sway the statistics. There are another 100 UNSW grads that aren't included there and I'm sure it's similar with the other uni's. It also negates the fact that many UNSW overseas students take time to get a job as they need to wait for permanent residency. Something nearly all UTS grads don't need to worry about.

If you want to play with the stats then it's 'clear' that if you get a high UAI and are thinking about higher level study in the future then go to UNSW because their students are doing the PhD's. Well that's what the rubbish stats tell you anyway.

In my opinion there are plenty of jobs out there so choose your uni for other reasons (and make sure your research includes more than one survey report)."

In this thread I gave a survey of women in engineering and stated:

"This survey was in 2004 but may give you some info. Generally engineering performs pretty well against the other professions. Read the text as well as the numbers because stats don't tell all the story."

As anyone who has a brain would see I prefaced with "may give you some info" - unlike you I do not make rash statements of fact. Secondly, I stated "because stats don't tell all the story". I can not see where I have rejected anything in my previous post nor been a "hypocrite". In both I warned of trusting surveys and statistics and I stand by this.

You on the other hand continue to post negative comments to degrade others particularly when they are having trouble with their courses or are searching for other information. You also seem to put down any other Uni besides UTS. Have you realised you made a mistake with your choices and want others to follow? Do you have an inferiority complex or are you still trying to grow up?

P.S. Companies are desperate to get engineering undergrads. To say that "UNSW is shit for getting a job" is a total fabrication as it would be if I said the same for USYD or UTS. The statement unfairly misleads students who visit this site for information.

KD

HSC
N/A
For those reading the dddman survey as an indication that "UNSW Engineering is the worst for undergrads" :rolleyes:

The report found (from a UNSW perspective) only 10 graduates (6 unemployed) looking for jobs from all fields. Engineering at UNSW graduates probably over 500 or 600 students in Engineering each year (and the survey covers two years worth of grads). This is why I state that you should always look behind all the numbers.

Last edited:

dddman

Banned
HSC
KD said:
I responded to a survey of recent graduates. You made several claims about the vast superiority of UTS over all else. My response to that was given below.

"Basing your whole argument on a single survey is pretty ordinary. A few students can completely sway the statistics. There are another 100 UNSW grads that aren't included there and I'm sure it's similar with the other uni's. It also negates the fact that many UNSW overseas students take time to get a job as they need to wait for permanent residency. Something nearly all UTS grads don't need to worry about.

If you want to play with the stats then it's 'clear' that if you get a high UAI and are thinking about higher level study in the future then go to UNSW because their students are doing the PhD's. Well that's what the rubbish stats tell you anyway.

In my opinion there are plenty of jobs out there so choose your uni for other reasons (and make sure your research includes more than one survey report)."

In this thread I gave a survey of women in engineering and stated:

"This survey was in 2004 but may give you some info. Generally engineering performs pretty well against the other professions. Read the text as well as the numbers because stats don't tell all the story."

As anyone who has a brain would see I prefaced with "may give you some info" - unlike you I do not make rash statements of fact. Secondly, I stated "because stats don't tell all the story". I can not see where I have rejected anything in my previous post nor been a "hypocrite". In both I warned of trusting surveys and statistics and I stand by this.

You on the other hand continue to post negative comments to degrade others particularly when they are having trouble with their courses or are searching for other information. You also seem to put down any other Uni besides UTS. Have you realised you made a mistake with your choices and want others to follow? Do you have an inferiority complex or are you still trying to grow up?

P.S. Companies are desperate to get engineering undergrads. To say that "UNSW is shit for getting a job" is a total fabrication as it would be if I said the same for USYD or UTS. The statement unfairly misleads students who visit this site for information.

if i had one survery to back up my claims then ill admitt ill be a fool but however i have 6 & soon 7 in august, also i dont mind if any student went to any uni other than unsw as it acts like its fucking better than any other uni, AKA like a little leb that thinks is king shit as its ranked 1st in oz due to its reaseach, not to meantin why must a uni brag about its ranking to undergrads if it does not got anything to do with then as they arnt gonna use such research unless they r gonna go for their masters

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)