outline how an individual's lifestyle needs are met through work (4 marks) (1 Viewer)

HelenaJean

HSC
we're doing short answer questions in class and this is one of them. My class and teacher insist that the answer is to outline individual needs (financial, self-esteem, education, status and lifestyle) but i can't see how that's the correct answer when the question specifies lifestyle needs (rather than career needs etc). What do you think?

a) write about individual needs, including lifestyle needs.

b) write about only lifestlye needs.

monmon18

HSC
Hey there,

I was curious to know what topic are you studying for in relation to this question. Coz I'm abit confused with the lifestyle needs as well :S

Kat92

HSC
we're doing short answer questions in class and this is one of them. My class and teacher insist that the answer is to outline individual needs (financial, self-esteem, education, status and lifestyle) but i can't see how that's the correct answer when the question specifies lifestyle needs (rather than career needs etc). What do you think?

a) write about individual needs, including lifestyle needs.

b) write about only lifestlye needs.

What paper is this from?? The wording of the questions are very vague, so I can see your point. However, if going off the syllabus alone from page 50 I would tend to agree with your class and teacher. As the dotpoint in relation to this is individual and group needs met through work.-- You would need to perceive this in a much broader sense than just looking at it from a career perspective.

Kat92

HSC
Hey there,

I was curious to know what topic are you studying for in relation to this question. Coz I'm abit confused with the lifestyle needs as well :S
I think she is studying the Individuals and Work option. :)

HelenaJean

HSC
What paper is this from?? The wording of the questions are very vague, so I can see your point. However, if going off the syllabus alone from page 50 I would tend to agree with your class and teacher. As the dotpoint in relation to this is individual and group needs met through work.-- You would need to perceive this in a much broader sense than just looking at it from a career perspective.
it was from the 2008 HSC exam in individuals and work.
Thanks for your insight, i just hope i don't get a question worded as bizarrly as this in the exam. There's NO WAY i'd ever interpret this as it's meant to be, and i still don't understand why the word 'lifestyle' was included at all.

Kat92

HSC
Hmm.. That's rather intriguing as it appears that someone might have reworded the question: Have a look at http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.a..._doc/2008HSC-community-and-family-studies.pdf on the last page: "question 20".

To go about answering this you would need to do the following:

(PART A) Mention something about how the type of work can affect the lifestyle of a person as they may be influenced by the workplace; have greater or lesser time available, more or less financial resources available. The more a worker is renumerated for a job, the higher the self-esteem and pride of an employee. People may choose work based on the lifestyle it allows them to lead ie; travel, ability to work indoors or outdoors, social activities, such as sports that may be provided by the workplace, work patterns and shifts.

(PART B) How a change in employment can impact upon:
– the nature of work
– patterns of work
– the way in which individual and group needs are met through work

In terms of a parent changing employment, impacts upon the family members might include:
– role expectations, especially in terms of how roles are negotiated and shared in a family
– the management of resources, specifically as it relates to time, money and provision of support networks

(PART c) Rights and responsibilities in the workplace may relate to employees and employers.
Rights which may contribute to wellbeing include:
– Access to education and training
– Wages paid according to award or agreement
– Fair and equitable working conditions
– Belonging to a trade union
– To feel safe in the workplace

And

Responsibilities which may contribute to wellbeing include:
– Provision of entitlements eg sick leave
– Wages paid according to award or agreement
– Following rules and regulations
– Performing reasonable tasks required

Hope that clarifies more of why you need to mention lifestyle within your answer. Good luck with everything! :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)