Oxford (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

Korn said:
That doesnt seem to hard, to get AAA, well for some ppl i know could have got that. I would have got 18 or CCC
Yeah, I would have gotten AAA. But remember unis there have interview, essay, a and speech entrances as well.

Edit: Thanks jbor for the link:)

jbor

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Yeah, I would have gotten AAA. But remember unis there have interview, essay, a and speech entrances as well.

Edit: Thanks jbor for the link:)
No Prob.
The interview is the biggy for Oxbridge. Many students reach the AAA level but dont get a place. However it is known for people with , say , AAB to get a place based on the interview (knowledge of subject , the ability to actually question the interviewers etc).
There is a big business in the UK (where I am - in or around) preparing students for the interview alone (from $4000 - $10,000 to be tutored.)
Also if anyone is considering it remember the cutoff times are different to the main UCAS (UK's answer to UAC ).

X

xeuyrawp

jbor said:
No Prob.
The interview is the biggy for Oxbridge. Many students reach the AAA level but dont get a place. However it is known for people with , say , AAB to get a place based on the interview (knowledge of subject , the ability to actually question the interviewers etc).
There is a big business in the UK (where I am - in or around) preparing students for the interview alone (from $4000 - $10,000 to be tutored.)
Also if anyone is considering it remember the cutoff times are different to the main UCAS (UK's answer to UAC ).
You're in the UK? Where abouts? How'd you wander over here?

Pfft, I'd tutor a prep interview for ... $200 :), and if they don't get in, I'll refund 10%

jbor

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
You're in the UK? Where abouts? How'd you wander over here?

Pfft, I'd tutor a prep interview for ... $200 :), and if they don't get in, I'll refund 10%
Am an Australian PR (permanent resident) visa holder. Hoping to go to UNSW next year for B.Soc Work. Found this site when looking for info on overseas quals being accepted for UAI scores (learning all this stuff as I go along)
Am actaully Irish but dont tell anyone :)

X

xeuyrawp

jbor said:
Am an Australian PR (permanent resident) visa holder. Hoping to go to UNSW next year for B.Soc Work. Found this site when looking for info on overseas quals being accepted for UAI scores (learning all this stuff as I go along)
Am actaully Irish but dont tell anyone :)
Well welcome to our shores and to our site:)

(PS, your little secret's safe with me)

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
stella8h8chang said:
in reply to Not-That-Bright's
I get the feeling I don't like the girl that started this thread, she sounds up herself or like she's living in some sort of fantasy world. "I operated on a goldfish - I think I'm reading for med guys!" My dying grandfather IS NOT A GOLDFISH! I will not allow anyone with a mind such as this to operate anywhere near him.

Just to get things straight...at no point did I claim that my vetrinary skills on goldfish would render me adequate in treating humans. I merely stated that I was not squeamish. I know that a medical degree takes years of training and even then, you need experience to be a good doctor. Sorry if I was misinterpreted.

in reply to the general conclusion
1. The girl in question has been described by some as a "rich brat", although I'd use the word "immature".

I'm not going to fight you. I know I'm immature! But think of what kind of adult can be spewed out of a childhood during which she is
* drilled that people who do not go to university are lazy/stupid/BAD people
* made to believe all the white people in Australia are out to get her because you're Asian
* informed that medicine was the only degree worth taking
* had her mobile phone confiscated after text-messaging a boy five times
* has no privacy except (ironically) on the internet as even her diary is now read
* not made aware of what copulation was until the age of eleven
* asked her English teacher what the overtones of "69" were
* told to shield her eyes at scenes of violence
* told to sleep on the floor of her parents' room after watching spooky movies/visiting spooky places
* questioned for getting <98
* scolded for getting <95
* punished for getting <90
* told that every 'flu or cold she gets is a result of her not eating properly

I also know I fall into the category of a "rich brat". But I wish you guys could all understand how money is not everything.

I have had parents who have bought me everything I ever wanted with regard to my education, I have had every Excel textbook that exists, every Magic School Bus program, Austen, Bronte and Dickens from the time I was nine. Any 100% mark has been rewarded with money or phone calls or internet time. Anything less than that and things get removed. Not money, but intangible things, such as privacy, as mother tries to put a reason for a "low" mark, or time on my piano (in rationing it she believes my UAI will increase), or memories in the form of photographs, old letters, birthday cards, soft toys, things money can't replace.

I have a father who never is at home for me and a mother who spends her life breathing down my neck, determined to live her dream through me. As I write this they believe I am seeking help for Latin from a friend.

You guys probably take having friends for granted; my parents have forbidden me to have any "friends" as per se, as they say that friends will leech marks off you by borrowing notes etc, and they lecture me that nobody has friends in high school because they are all too busy studying, and we are all competing against each other for the top marks. The only "friends" I may have are people who are in the top 10 of the grade, and even then it must be very guarded, as I must not give out my "secrets". They have told me that they will be my friends for the next two years, but what they don't realise is that they're so unapproachable and refuse to talk about "distractions" aka anything not related to the HSC. Please feel lucky that you are surrounded by people who love you.

You poor, poor girl...

Honestly, your parents are like a CARRICATURE of the stereotypical 'Asian parents'. :rolleyes:

I bet they're going to hijack your Year 12 subject sheet and write "Mathematics Extension 2" on it, followed by "Physics, Chemistry". :uhhuh:

Anyway, in regards to your situation, the obvious thing to do is to gun for Medicine (alert your parents to the fact that they should enrol you in 2 or more UMAT prep courses), complete it, and then raise the issue of attending Oxford once you've graduated from wherever you're doing Medicine.

The reasons are:

1) The chances of you attending Oxford as an undergraduate are slim, with or without parental permission.
2) Your parents aren't going to allow you out of your house, let alone out of the country, so forget about England for now.
3) After roughly 6 years of university study, you might come to your senses and realise that you don't really want to subject yourself to 3 or 4 more.

jellybeenz

HSC
Jesus your parents suck. I understand the no-privacy thing, I've never had any and my parents aren't even asian.

But the no friends thing? That is harsh. Also I hate the racist attitude of some asian parents, I had a friend who was never allowed to hang around me coz I was white.

I reckon you feel very restricted now, but things will lighten up later on.... I have always been shit-scared of my parents and I felt similarly at 16 (even tho my sitch wasn't as bad as yours) but things improved. I dunno, they grew to trust me or something, or maybe they just gave up lol... if you rebel enough, sooner things will improve. Push the boundaries little by little.

Write things in ur diary things you want ur mother to read-- "I've been feeling a little unhappy lately, I don't know, I feel so lonely I need someone my own age to talk to. I think this is the reason my marks aren't as good as they could be, I need someone to bounce the experience off. My parents try so hard and I love them, but I think I need someone my own age" etc etc... Perhaps then they will get the message about needing friends and give you more freedom.

I dunno, its just an idea.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
If you're sick of your parents, I would imagine that it would be quite easy for someone like you (you sound quite bright) to get a scholarship to a university in a different state. If you managed to get one, all you'd need would be youth allowance and you'd be as free as a bird.

Hell, I did it :p

and then raise the issue of attending Oxford once you've graduated from wherever you're doing Medicine.
She'd be 25 then, I don't think that there would be much need for raising on her part, you'd hope :p.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
stella8h8chang said:
in reply to Not-That-Bright's
I get the feeling I don't like the girl that started this thread, she sounds up herself or like she's living in some sort of fantasy world. "I operated on a goldfish - I think I'm reading for med guys!" My dying grandfather IS NOT A GOLDFISH! I will not allow anyone with a mind such as this to operate anywhere near him.

Just to get things straight...at no point did I claim that my vetrinary skills on goldfish would render me adequate in treating humans. I merely stated that I was not squeamish. I know that a medical degree takes years of training and even then, you need experience to be a good doctor. Sorry if I was misinterpreted.

in reply to the general conclusion
1. The girl in question has been described by some as a "rich brat", although I'd use the word "immature".

I'm not going to fight you. I know I'm immature! But think of what kind of adult can be spewed out of a childhood during which she is
* drilled that people who do not go to university are lazy/stupid/BAD people
* made to believe all the white people in Australia are out to get her because you're Asian
* informed that medicine was the only degree worth taking
* had her mobile phone confiscated after text-messaging a boy five times
* has no privacy except (ironically) on the internet as even her diary is now read
* not made aware of what copulation was until the age of eleven
* asked her English teacher what the overtones of "69" were
* told to shield her eyes at scenes of violence
* told to sleep on the floor of her parents' room after watching spooky movies/visiting spooky places
* questioned for getting <98
* scolded for getting <95
* punished for getting <90
* told that every 'flu or cold she gets is a result of her not eating properly

I also know I fall into the category of a "rich brat". But I wish you guys could all understand how money is not everything.

I have had parents who have bought me everything I ever wanted with regard to my education, I have had every Excel textbook that exists, every Magic School Bus program, Austen, Bronte and Dickens from the time I was nine. Any 100% mark has been rewarded with money or phone calls or internet time. Anything less than that and things get removed. Not money, but intangible things, such as privacy, as mother tries to put a reason for a "low" mark, or time on my piano (in rationing it she believes my UAI will increase), or memories in the form of photographs, old letters, birthday cards, soft toys, things money can't replace.

I have a father who never is at home for me and a mother who spends her life breathing down my neck, determined to live her dream through me. As I write this they believe I am seeking help for Latin from a friend.

You guys probably take having friends for granted; my parents have forbidden me to have any "friends" as per se, as they say that friends will leech marks off you by borrowing notes etc, and they lecture me that nobody has friends in high school because they are all too busy studying, and we are all competing against each other for the top marks. The only "friends" I may have are people who are in the top 10 of the grade, and even then it must be very guarded, as I must not give out my "secrets". They have told me that they will be my friends for the next two years, but what they don't realise is that they're so unapproachable and refuse to talk about "distractions" aka anything not related to the HSC. Please feel lucky that you are surrounded by people who love you.

bloody asians.

sephora

HSC
Oxbridge

Hi Im not sure if this will be of any help but one of my friend's brothers got a bursary to study Classics, Ancient History at Cambridge b/c the headmaster of his school had some influence and suggested him for it. But if you have something that you are very good at such as the music thing you can apply to a college that is desperate for talented musicians for example. About fees there is no reduction for EU members. I know because I was thinking about applying to Oxford but the only way you can have a reduced fee is to have lived permanently in England ... which is expensive anyway. I really suggest you play the talented musician card b/c apparently the hardest part is not so much getting in to the university per say but rather the residential college esp. if you want to stay in a prestigious one like Trinity at Oxford. Many people have suggested that you do Med first and then study postgrad. classics which would be a good idea b/c there are more scholarships for postgrad study.
Hope that helps
Sephora
ps. dont listen to anyone who tells you to give up your dream. If you are determined enough you will be able to achieve it! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)