Oxford (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Laurie Fields who learnt San Script or something and came first in I think every classical language you can do in the hsc =/ I reckon he could of got into oxford.

I get the feeling I don't like the girl that started this thread, she sounds up herself or like she's living in some sort of fantasy world. "I operated on a goldfish - I think I'm reading for med guys!" My dying grandfather IS NOT A GOLDFISH! I will not allow anyone with a mind such as this to operate anywhere near him.

X

xeuyrawp

Not-That-Bright said:
Laurie Fields who learnt San Script or something and came first in I think every classical language you can do in the hsc =/ I reckon he could of got into oxford.
Sanscript is not Classical, it's Ancient Asian. And there are two classical languages you can study in the HSC; Latin and Classical Greek.

notthatbright said:
I get the feeling I don't like the girl that started this thread, she sounds up herself or like she's living in some sort of fantasy world. "I operated on a goldfish - I think I'm reading for med guys!" My dying grandfather IS NOT A GOLDFISH! I will not allow anyone with a mind such as this to operate anywhere near him.
Yeh, me too. She just needs to grow up a bit.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Hehe, its sanskrit and was a predecessor of classical greek and latin.

X

xeuyrawp

Korn said:
Sanskrit is ancient Hindu
1. Hindu is a religion, Hindi is the language.
2. It's labelled as "Indic" and the official languages of Hindu and some of the older Buddhist schools.

Just so we're all clear:)

And I don't think sanskrit has anything more to do with latin and greek than Greek has to do with Russian- ie, there are a few similarities, but that's it.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
There are many words in common (in terms of their sounding) especially between sanskrit and classical greek, as well as the grammatical structures (like the dual form which started in sanskrit, continued in greek and dropped off in latin).

X

xeuyrawp

011 said:
There are many words in common (in terms of their sounding) especially between sanskrit and classical greek, as well as the grammatical structures (like the dual form which started in sanskrit, continued in greek and dropped off in latin).
Interesting, I didn't know that. Although it makes sense the words with the strong H, like Hubris and Choregia do sound very non-European.

What's the dual form? I do a bit of Greek for uni, but I've never encountered it.

Not-That-Bright said:
I dunno maybe u can email him and talk about it, it sounded pretty impressive to me.
Oh it is impressive, but (despite having to have AAA marks,) oxford has got a better system of measuring Character and Intelligence, rather than one fat UAI.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
The dual is one form used to describe a pair of something.
Like say for example if you wanted to say 'two men' or 'a pair of men', there are forms for that in particular in the nominative/accusative/genitive/dative, singular and plural. It's very odd, but it occurs somewhat more often in Homer.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Yeh, me too. She just needs to grow up a bit.
as i was reading thru this thread earlier, my thoughts concurred with yours but i didn't want to be the bad guy and make them expressed.

it seems the rantings of an ambitious, but at the same time inconstant, girl.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Frigid said:
as i was reading thru this thread earlier, my thoughts concurred with yours but i didn't want to be the bad guy and make them expressed.

it seems the rantings of an ambitious, but at the same time inconstant, girl.
Ambitious??? Deluded :headbang::uhhuh:

I was willing to take the heat for youse

X

xeuyrawp

011 said:
The dual is one form used to describe a pair of something.
Like say for example if you wanted to say 'two men' or 'a pair of men', there are forms for that in particular in the nominative/accusative/genitive/dative, singular and plural. It's very odd, but it occurs somewhat more often in Homer.
Cool, I never knew what it was called- I've got Homer infront of me now

Ajax stood there with his hands on one of the animal's horns and, as he spat out dung, said to the Greeks
"Damn! It was the goddess who tripped me up - the one who always dances for Odysseus like a mother would"
:D

frigie said:
Sure, make me the bad guy.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Cool, I never knew what it was called- I've got Homer infront of me now

:D

Sure, make me the bad guy.
Yeah im the fucking bad guy here

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Nah, I'm the bad boy. :cool: :rolleyes:
Post #46

Korn said:
From what I have gathered from u and ur folks, it appears you are a spoilt rich kid who has been given everything they ever wanted and because of this is trying to rebel. Good luck to you and go for Oxford or some other uni as an international student and study your Arts Degree, just to spite your parents.

If I'm wrong in my assumption, plz tell me why
Followed by post #47

PwarYuex said:
I got that vibe as well. That rich kid thing makes me gag. I don't think I would ever let my parents buy me

Oh, the decisions. Should I go Oxford, or Cambridge? Gucci or Louis? Anyway, why did you say money was an issue at the beginning of this thread when it's clearly not. But anyway, you seem very dependent on your parents and I doubt you'd do well at any international uni.

edit: this thread has died. :uhhuh:
Now unless I’m mistaken that’s the first open attack on the thread starter, bro. Or are u alluding to something

X

xeuyrawp

Korn said:
Now unless I’m mistaken that’s the first open attack on the thread starter, bro. Or are u alluding to something
Lol, Korn, we all know you're better than me. Care to express your penis size, next?

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Lol, Korn, we all know you're better than me. Care to express your penis size, next?
What yeah 12inch

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
PwarYuex said:
heh. Ah, we all know what that means when a guy says that.
I was being a smartarse in response to your post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)