• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

P-Plate Restrictions (1 Viewer)

james_chappo

Neurotic To The Bone
HSC
I agree with the government's p-plate restrictions. Surely people can wait for three years to gain enough driving experience to increase road safety. However, i disagree with the banning of V8's in general when highly powerful 6 and four cylinder cars have been ignored. The government should base their restrictions on overall power, not engine capacity.

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
james_chappo said:
I agree with the government's p-plate restrictions. Surely people can wait for three years to gain enough driving experience to increase road safety. However, i disagree with the banning of V8's in general when highly powerful 6 and four cylinder cars have been ignored. The government should base their restrictions on overall power, not engine capacity.
The government is dumb. Thats why cops have XR8's when XR6 turbos go faster.

And is that list in general relation to the public at large? Like is everyone banned from driving those cars? Cos, honestly, every 2nd car you see is a v8. Or has turbo.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
chelzmalee said:
The government is dumb. Thats why cops have XR8's when XR6 turbos go faster.

And is that list in general relation to the public at large? Like is everyone banned from driving those cars? Cos, honestly, every 2nd car you see is a v8. Or has turbo.
no, just new p-platers. so current ones aren't affected.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
A friend of mine was being driven home after the best performance of her life, and the p plater was speeding, lost control, and crashed into a tree. the girl fractured 3 vertebrae in her spine and couldn't dance for almost 2 years. Something needs to be done to discourage speeding. I don't know what.... but something.....

supercharged

HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:
s2000 isn't turbo, same as BMW M3.

but diahatsu is!!! so it is banned.
oh no, the 900cc 3cyl turbo is too hard to drive!
I know that! My point is that high performance non-turbo fours and sixes (S2000,911,M3) are allowed but slow ass mini turbos like daihatsu copen AREN'T!!!

james_chappo

Neurotic To The Bone
HSC
llamalope said:
A friend of mine was being driven home after the best performance of her life, and the p plater was speeding, lost control, and crashed into a tree. the girl fractured 3 vertebrae in her spine and couldn't dance for almost 2 years. Something needs to be done to discourage speeding. I don't know what.... but something.....
I agree!Atleast the government is taking action on this tragic issue!!!

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
supercharged said:
I know that! My point is that high performance non-turbo fours and sixes (S2000,911,M3) are allowed but slow ass mini turbos like daihatsu copen AREN'T!!!
lol, i'm agreeing with you.

@ llamalope: you can't be too draconian with speeding. It is ultimately the driver's choice to speed. Speedlimiting all australian cars to 120 would solve speeding, but you lose freedom of choice.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
they haven't banned mclaren F1!!

import one of those for your L's test.
instructor will have to sit in back though.

CHE-13S

HSC
N/A
Murf said:
lol they havent banned Enzo Ferrari's either from when i scanned the list:p

but they have a nice little "this list can be edited / added to at any time" sorta clause somewhere on the site.... id like to know how they are going to deal with cars they add, that people have allready baught and are driving once they outlaw them...

m
Enzo is not road legal in Australia anyway

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
in the interest of science, can anyone tell me what the chances are of surviving a 200kmph collision is? like 2 cars travveling 100 each and have a head on... now think of 2 cars traveling at 200 each, thats a 400kph collision. even if u can surivive the 200k one, the 400kmph... i cant see anyone surviving that, and thats the speed most cars are capable of traveling at.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Captain pi said:
Studies have shown that the probability of a teenage driver being involved in a motor vehicle accident increases exponentially the number of teenagers in the car.
It does make sense.
It makes sense but it's not practical. If we were only allowed one passenger, that kills the idea of having designated drivers and, I believe, makes it more dangerous and a hell of a lot more difficult for people to go out and get home, since the options to get home would be get a taxi (very costly if you do it a lot), walk (dangerous if not many people), get a lift from parents (whose parents would want to get up in the early hours of the morning to pick their kids up??!), get public transport (limited after midnight) or if lucky enough, get a courtesy bus (also stops after a certain time).

Imagine if you're out drinking somewhere until say 2 or 3am, if there's no desy, it would be very hard to get home.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
jezzmo said:
Please revise.
Exactly, a holden ss and a charade hitting a tree at the same speeds isn't going to have the "same effect" because the holden is gonna be A LOT safer than the charade, it's bigger so it's not going to get as damaged as the charade, hence you're more likely to survive in the holden.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Ok, I failed my P1 test today. I've rebooked for a date that just comes before the 11 July reforms are enshrined, but the location is an inconvenience. The RTA woman I was consulting swore that the reforms included the two-passenger only restrictions EVEN WHEN THE DRIVER HAD NOT COMITTED AN OFFENCE

Which is terrible, because there go my dreams of my friends and I driving around in my 1979 model Toyota.

Is anybody to confirm exacly what will happen on 11 July, and with credible sources?

supercharged

HSC
N/A
yenta said:
Exactly, a holden ss and a charade hitting a tree at the same speeds isn't going to have the "same effect" because the holden is gonna be A LOT safer than the charade, it's bigger so it's not going to get as damaged as the charade, hence you're more likely to survive in the holden.
The driver in both the holden and charade would be wiped out and have their corpse mangled in the twisted wreckage, if they hit the tree with any kind of speed. Have you ever seen the damage done to a car wrapped around a tree or telegraph pole? The car basically gets sliced in half, so you would be equally dead no matter your choice of ride. Where the holden would have an advantage was if it hit the charade, but not if it hit the unmoveable tree

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
i just got my L's last week
so i dont care..
im still excited i can(learn 2) drive..reguarldess what the rules and restrictions are for me when i get my P's

7th Sign

HSC
i know soo many people getting high powered car registered right now before the deadline...it will stop some death maby....

but what kind of fines are involved say if you get a civic stock then get a turbo kit in it......how much will you be fined?

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Murf said:
although i do agree, hitting a tree at 200 in both cars will most likley kill you, your car will simply be in smaller bits in the charade.... hitting a tree at 80 can very likley keep you alive compared to being dead in the charade..all depends on the speed
an 80 km/hr collision with a tree is still damn serious, if you were alive in the holden you would probably be permanently brain damaged or handicapped vs just plain dead in the charade.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
supercharged said:
an 80 km/hr collision with a tree is still damn serious, if you were alive in the holden you would probably be permanently brain damaged or handicapped vs just plain dead in the charade.
ahhh... but KE = (1/2)mv^2

so at the same speed the holden would have more energy, thus the collision would be more serious. Think of a feather hitting a tree at 80kmph, not much would happen eh?

EDIT: of course this is a gross generalisation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)