P-Plate Restrictions (1 Viewer)

William_Lawry

NSW Police
HSC
N/A
your all young angry bitter pimple faces!!! thats an awesome attitude to have " ill let the government clean my guts off the road" i went to 4 crashes this week and i required me to remove the guts off the road and inform 3 sets of parents that their teenagers wont be coming home...

inexperience, ill leave it at that... teenages cant jugde distance and speed

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Exphate said:
People say that P Platers thing they are invincible, and yeh I acknowledge this is an issue, but, people with full licenses often tend to be more agressive towards ANYONE on plates (be them Ls or Ps), and this aggression also leads to accidents.

I'm often tailed home by people frustrated that I'm doing the fucking speed limit, so why doesn't the government take everyone's license on the first speeding offence? Because they are fucking weak - that's why.
Completely agreed. I've had a council worker tailgate me, completely freak me out and follow me for about fifteen minutes whilst on my L's.

Plus, I'm so scared of crashing a car that I don't like to drive and when I do, I'm overly cautious. It's the main reason I'm still on my L's.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
So i found this study saying that staying awake for 16hours [what most people, especially shift workers do] is equivilent in concentration to having a .05 BAC. I am not sure what to make of this, but i think it means that 0.05 BAC doesnt really effect your driving that much. Either that, or it would be funny to see the government trying to regulate your sleep. Get pulled over
" license and regis-WAS THAT A YAUN! ARE YOU TIRED! when was the last time you had a sleep sir! was it a full 8 hours? less or more? iam sorry sir but you are too intoxicated to drive, iam going to have to write you a ticket and have you fined"
What next, ban P platers from driving in the morning because that is the period people are the tiredest?

Basically its just evidence that changing the BAC limit from .02 to .00 was just a political stunt, .02 has no real effect on anyones driving performance and if it did, why dont they apply it to everyone? revenue raising and descrimination IMO.

Aaron06

To Rid The Disease
HSC
I just got the new restrictions in the mail
And as for the bloke who couldn't be bothered reading 23 pages, kudos, me neither.

The new restrictions are as followed:

1: Learners but do 150 hours + 20 hours night time

2: L + P1 Drivers and riders aren't allowed to be using any function of the phone nor allowed to have more than 1 passengers under the age of 21 to be in the car after 11 and before 5

3: L + P1 + P2 drivers must show plates outside of the car.

I am all for these new restrictions, however when they say use any function on the phone, does that mean using games and txt messaging? Like come on, most of us have been on road trips to canberra or anywhere with our mates. Long distance driving is a bugger and we can't use functions like games and txt messaging? Also, how can they catch you playing games or txt messaging when you are the passenger and what's the problem with talking on the phone as the passenger? It isn't distracting the driver, not unless the driver wants to have input into the conversation. But again, c'mon the passengers will talk to the driver being more of a distraction. What are they going to ban next. Talking to the driver, listening to music?

Another thing that bothers me if having the plates outside the car. They can be perfectly visible inside the car unless the tint is too dark, in which case it shouldn't be as their are certain limits on how much tint is on your windows. How are having plates outside the car going to help you to survive? What, a driver is going to look at the car infront and say "Oh his a P plater I must slow down and watch out, he might crash into me"? Like WTF, of course he is not going to say that. Would it make it easier for the police to see if you're on plates? Police do discriminate against P platers, and although people may dispute this. I agree, there are some platers out there that are just totally arrogant and shouldn't have the privledge to drive. But overall, they use less discretion with platers than with full liences. I know what you're thinking, "platers need to learn by dicipline" Well to that, I say so do full liencers. If they do it once, who says they won't do it again and again?

In the end, I guess these restrictions are good. And as being a Green P plater, half these rules don't apply to me.

My time is up at tafe.
Ttys

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
the restrictions are completely shit, they are just a foolish knee jerk reaction i cant beleive you would say they are good.

pete_mate

HSC
Exphate said:
3. Speeding - well its been proven to be a killer. Take every-fucking-ones license who speeds.

Game over.
so you're one of those dumbasses that sits right on 60 or 80 on a highway that slows everyoen behind them.

i think an immediate ban from speeding is a bit much, but i dont really care, ive been a green p plater for like a year

BritneySpears

Banned
HSC
i got the flyer too I need to book my testing before 1st july or drive another 40 hrs :O

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
I think that it's unfair that someone caught with exceeding the speed limit by 1km/h gets the same punishment as someone who is 15 over.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Exphate said:
I lold at the flyer

1. Mobile phone usage: ITS FUCKING ILLEGAL ANYWAY

2. No what is it? 15-25 in the car with you during curfew? Yet you can be with your family and crash + kill them and no one gives a fuck? What's the deal.

3. Speeding - well its been proven to be a killer. Take every-fucking-ones license who speeds.

Game over.
uh..... you don't drive do you?
and the mobile phone thing includes handsfree and bluetooth kits. as opposed to other drivers who are allowed to use these.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
breaking said:
uh..... you don't drive do you?
and the mobile phone thing includes handsfree and bluetooth kits. as opposed to other drivers who are allowed to use these.
It would be pretty hard for the cops to know your using Bluetooth.

Also a guy at my school was driving last year, and at a red light his phone rang. Picked it up and said "I'm driving, I'll call you back" then hung up but not before the cops saw him and pulled him over and fined him.

X

xeuyrawp

I'm going to have to figure out how to attach my Ps to the outside of the car. =/

Edit: I need sticky plates -- magnetic ones won't stick to my bumpers. ;(

Last edited by a moderator:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I am pretty vigilant about cops because I am usually speeding... if there is a cop near me I know... so I can answer the phone without getting busted for it.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
ok i have to just clear this up (i havent read the whole thread so apologies if this had been answered) but the hours thing: if you have your L's already do the new 120 hr laws still apply to you? or do you just do 50? because the flyer said people who get their licence on or after july 1 have to do the increased time, but i have heard from many people that the law will be retroactive and apply to everyone. what's the deal? i don't really mind doing the extra hours (even though i will probably still be on my L's in another 5 years if thats the case) but i just want to clear it up

oh and on the phones thing...the only way you could get away with using a hands free phone in the car is if someone else was in the car with you. i'm pretty sure i'd pull someone over who appeared to be talking to themselves, on the mere assumption that they were high.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
ok i have to just clear this up (i havent read the whole thread so apologies if this had been answered) but the hours thing: if you have your L's already do the new 120 hr laws still apply to you? or do you just do 50? because the flyer said people who get their licence on or after july 1 have to do the increased time, but i have heard from many people that the law will be retroactive and apply to everyone. what's the deal? i don't really mind doing the extra hours (even though i will probably still be on my L's in another 5 years if thats the case) but i just want to clear it up

oh and on the phones thing...the only way you could get away with using a hands free phone in the car is if someone else was in the car with you. i'm pretty sure i'd pull someone over who appeared to be talking to themselves, on the mere assumption that they were high.
just hurry up and get your Ps. Really dont understand how these rules are supposed to reduce fatalities on the road - considering they are target a minute segment - as result of public pressure from retarts.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
HotShot said:
Really dont understand how these rules are supposed to reduce fatalities on the road
They aren't. They are only there to make it seem like something is being done. If they were really serious about it they would make the P's test harder and more realistic.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Gilbert1 said:
It would be pretty hard for the cops to know your using Bluetooth.
uh yeah, apart from the fact that you have a headset in your ear? :uhoh:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
breaking said:
uh yeah, apart from the fact that you have a headset in your ear? :uhoh:
LOL. the chances of being caught though is slim. Thats why I feel these changes are crap.

T

Testpilot

pete_mate said:
so you're one of those dumbasses that sits right on 60 or 80 on a highway that slows everyoen behind them.

i think an immediate ban from speeding is a bit much, but i dont really care, ive been a green p plater for like a year
Even though what you said was directed at Exphate...

I used to do the 90km/h but after nearly being involved in several major accidents due to people rocking up behind me and not realising the speed difference. Now i do 110km/h so I'm not causing a problem. But the stupidity is I can chose to break the law, or put my life and the lives of others in danger. Go figure. Stupid Orwellian laws.

Irony is because of how harsh the laws are, i really don't care about the law anymore. They have made the law seem absurd to me and crime is now a lot more acceptable. All of this has been achieved without fixing the problem. I guess this is what happens with knee-jerk laws.

Last edited by a moderator:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
If you are not capable of driving 110 you shouldn't be on the highway. I might accept 100 or 105, but anything less is dangerous. The rules for P platers should be scrapped, and L platers shouldn't be there at all.

Under absolutely no circumstances should someone doing less than 110 be in the right lane, but they are constantly.

If someone pulls out in front of me in the right lane doing less than 110 I will slam down my horn and flash my brights until they move.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
I'm just worried that if I have to renew my Ls that I'll be in for the 150. I got mine in December '05 and I'm pretty sure they're up for renewal at the end of the year. It's 100% impossible for me to get the hours up by then, so I'll have to renew.

If that means I have to do 150 hours I'll be mighty pissed. It isn't like I want my Ps until I feel comfortable driving anyway, which will probably take me over the 50 hours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)