P test soon - Manual (1 Viewer)

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
has any1 got any tips or advice for me ... i got my p's test on the 21st of this month..doing it on manual...

p.s doing at the penrith south rta.....

Last edited:

Black Hawker

HSC
Umm, don't forget to signal for more then 5 seconds before you move out.

That's what I nearly stuffed up on.

Good luck.

Megadrive

HSC
Hi guys.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've also got my P's test in a manual soon (ie just over a week), and was wondering how the RTA expect you to come to a complete stop.

1) Shift down through each gear, taking your foot completely off the clutch each time, except clutch in when 2nd gear is about to stall, and when at a complete stop move it to first

2) Brake in whatever gear (3rd or 4th etc) your in until it's about to stall, then clutch in and move it to first once completely stopped, or if the traffic moves before coming to a complete stop, select an appropriate gear and continue

I can drive using both methods, but I don't want to use one only to be told I had to use the other in the test. I want my P's ASAP and don't want my $43.00 test fee going down the drain.

Cheers..

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
If your parking in the RTA, check for stop signs on the exits and make sure you stop behind the line. Otherwise you will have failed before you have left the RTA.

Do all the checks you meant to, make them more obvious then you normally would, just so the tester knows for sure you are doing it.

Make sure you have good clutch control and the right gear selection.

Perfect hill starts, you will be tested on it.

Know all the manoeuvres and correct procedures for roundabouts etc.

Don't stress or panic.

Good luck. :)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Megadrive said:
Hi guys.

Long time lurker, first time poster.
Welcome to BOS, posting.

Megadrive said:
I've also got my P's test in a manual soon (ie just over a week), and was wondering how the RTA expect you to come to a complete stop.

1) Shift down through each gear, taking your foot completely off the clutch each time, except clutch in when 2nd gear is about to stall, and when at a complete stop move it to first

2) Brake in whatever gear (3rd or 4th etc) your in until it's about to stall, then clutch in and move it to first once completely stopped, or if the traffic moves before coming to a complete stop, select an appropriate gear and continue
1. That's what you would normally do anyway, bad practice/manual driving just to rely on the brakes when you have the gears to go down through to help slow you down - more efficiently, quicker, smother.

At least that's what I did and how my instructor taught me.

Megadrive said:
I can drive using both methods, but I don't want to use one only to be told I had to use the other in the test. I want my P's ASAP and don't want my $43.00 test fee going down the drain.

Cheers..
Good luck. :)

Megadrive

HSC
Cheers Pritnep, I've been hearing conflicting things from my mates so I just wanted to get it cleared up. I've done 80+ hours without an instructor, so I don't think I'll have any issues now I know the correct stopping method.

Mystical Element, it's important that you don't rest your foot on the clutch while driving (otherwise referred to as 'riding the clutch'). I believe this is an instant fail. I'd also recommend using your handbrake on hillstarts and three point turns (if on a slope), as the RTA will deduct minor points for each rollback you do.

Keepleft

HSC
N/A
NSW readers should make effort at reading the "Road Users' Handbook", it is this states primary driver manual for ALL road users. You can down load a Pdf version, 4.01mb here:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/2007_10ruh_english.pdf

But, in my personal view your much better served in having a PRINTED COPY, they are A5 in size and so fit a glovebox just fine, it has a few empty pages for notes etc. The cost is $10.

Note that 2008 will see new Australian Road Rules adopted by the States and Territories, these having passed the Ministerial Transport Council stage. These changes will for example have a 'modified' Rule 217 now also prohibiting the use of front fog lights in clear weather conditions.

I expect therefore all state and territory handbooks to be again updated mid to very late 2008.

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
i always have my foot on the clutch...its skinda silly they say u cant coz what if u ned to stop immediately uits helps for your foot to already be there....what am i supposed to do with it if it can be there :S

Sh4DoW

Finance Jock
HSC
Megadrive said:

When I went for my test I did a mix of 1 and 2.

If you're stopping at traffic lights in a built up area do 1, because if you stop at an intersection and the lights turn green and the cars in front of you start moving and you've stopped, it's a fail for ignoring signs.

However when I was driving normally, like turning corners and roundabouts and stuff, I did 2 .. Just shift from 4th to 2nd. Given that I got 100% on my driving test so I obviously wasn't doing it wrong.

When you get your license though .. It's better to do 2 because you're driving your own car and brake pads are a lot cheaper and easier to replace that clutch plates .. Cars have synchro's for a reason! :)

Good luck!

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
lol how is it a fail for stopping in that situation.

I did #2 and passed, just make sure you throw it to 1st if you do, I'm pretty sure they knock points off for leaving it in neutral when you're stationary.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
MysticalElement said:
i always have my foot on the clutch...its skinda silly they say u cant coz what if u ned to stop immediately uits helps for your foot to already be there....what am i supposed to do with it if it can be there :S
On the foot rest. Takes nothing to move your foot back onto the clutch. :)

Sh4DoW said:
When I went for my test I did a mix of 1 and 2.

If you're stopping at traffic lights in a built up area do 1, because if you stop at an intersection and the lights turn green and the cars in front of you start moving and you've stopped, it's a fail for ignoring signs.

However when I was driving normally, like turning corners and roundabouts and stuff, I did 2 .. Just shift from 4th to 2nd. Given that I got 100% on my driving test so I obviously wasn't doing it wrong.

When you get your license though .. It's better to do 2 because you're driving your own car and brake pads are a lot cheaper and easier to replace that clutch plates .. Cars have synchro's for a reason! :)

Good luck!
Hmmm I still think especially in a test situation you should be gearing down. Shows good gear selection/car control or whatever the item is.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
MysticalElement said:
In an emergency stop I dont think it really matters if you stall and you brake quicker and more efficiently while the car is in gear.

Sammy16

HSC
just make sure you stop at every single stop sign! stop at the end of every street if you're not sure.. but seriously most of the people i know who have failed is because they haven't stopped at a stop sign, just rolled slowly through it and failed straight away!
oh and also remember, when you reverse park you're allowed to hit the kerb, just make sure you don't drive up it

Sammy16

HSC
i'm not 100% sure but i'm pretty sure you wouldn't fail.. don't quote me on that though lol :p

Foxodi

HSC
I failed on the first go because I left my foot over the clutch.... Apparantly you cant do that -.- (everything else was perfect... I was pissed about it)
Just dont stress (stress = make tons of mistakes.. DONT DO IT :))
Slow it way down on corners (this was prob just my own thing, but I dont like slowly down for much, for corners and roundabouts, so yea - just remembering to always go into 2nd for corners and 3rd for roundabouts and I was sweet :)

Good luck.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
My instructor said to leave my foot over the clutch. I will be going for my P's soon:mad1:

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
MysticalElement said:
oh ok thanks but do i fail if i dont take my foot away from clutch ?
Why would you need your foot hovering/over the clutch? It's like moving your foot from accelerator to brake the time it takes is almost instant.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
pritnep said:
Why would you need your foot hovering/over the clutch? It's like moving your foot from accelerator to brake the time it takes is almost instant.
I use my massive penis to operate the brake so I can still apply some throttle while cornering so I don't loose boost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)