P1 Restrictions coming July07! (1 Viewer)

CieL

HSC
seremify007 said:
what happens if you're driving home from a party at 10:30, get stuck in traffic, and it hits 11pm? Do you kick everyone out?... *half-skim read the posts in thread*
Yes. I'd leave my half drunken friends on the road in the middle of nowhere in order to avoid confrontation with the cops.

BULLLL that's a good point.. I've forgotten about the new rules, but in the back of my head, I thought it was: One passenger after you've committed some traffic offence.. idk, too many new rules, I cant remember n cbf'd to look at the first pg now I've thought abt it..

But... but... Canberra's a hole...

bng

HSC
Ive already got my Ls, so do i have to do 120 hrs wen it clicks over to July 1st? or do i still do 50hrs?

lala2

Banned
HSC
Still 50 hours.

No, what I meant was, my L's expire in 2009. If I haven't gotten my P's by then (touchwood), and then renew my L's, under this renewed licence, do I then have to clock up 120 hours BEFORE I can sit the test?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
You shall have your P's by then. ;)

And either way you would have well over 120 hours if you didn't. Although you might not but hmm don't worry about it. Just keep telling yourself you will have your P's by then. In answer to your question I am not sure. I guess if you renew your licence after then you are classed as under the new laws but I have no idea.

lala2

Banned
HSC
hehe, I shall try my hardest to get my P's--actually, I need to. I graduate that year and will need to drive.

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
lala2 said:
hehe, I shall try my hardest to get my P's--actually, I need to. I graduate that year and will need to drive.
According to my driving instructor, mandatory 120 hours for L platers only apply for those who obtain their FIRST Learner's license after 1st of July. Those who renew their license after July can still choose to go for P1 test after 50 hours if they want to.

But yeah, try to get P's before it expires. Less hassle-and fee as well to pay-that way.

latch

HSC
The problem with trying to 'fix' this 'problem' is that it ignores to fundamentals; that p-platers are young and inexperienced and also tend to travel between 11pm-5am then most other drivers. Hence, there is no surprise that they are proportionally over represented in the death toll. It's only natural for an 18 yr old to do stupid things, and this is something that is going to be near impossible to really change. (perhaps they should ban cars?)

Perhaps it would make more sense to improve our roads; that are worse then Vic and Qld. The state of our roads should be embarrassing to the gov't and it would be nice to have some pollies that would put away the band-aids and actually fix things.

The focus on speed is a band-aid approach. Anyone who drives knows that the emphasis on speed seems to be over-rated, it's fair to say that most drivers speed (evident on any road where the traffic is flowing freely) and in some cases going slower then the speed limit is dangerous... has anyone else been overtaken by a truck on a freeway because they were legally driving 20kmh less then the speed limit? Besides, the emphasis on speed in the cause of crashes comes from the simple logic that if a driver had been travelling more slowly it would have been easier to stop. It's conveniently also easy to measure, determine and police.

But even if a person feels that these measures are good, in some way, as in they make the roads safer, will it really change the P-plate death toll? The answer is probably not. The people who will lose their licenses for going 55 in a 50 zone were not a risk of killing anyone and they will return to the road in 3 months eager to drive and unpractised; effectively they return a worse driver then the 'danger' they were when they slipped over the limit.

And besides, most of the fatal accidents seem to occur on roads not near the city. Most of the big fatality accidents happen on unfamiliar roads in not that powerful cars where people are simply unexperienced in how to drive there. And the really serious incidents; where people are driving over 50kmh above the speed limit will probably still occur; best be hanged for a sheep then a lamb sort of idea.

So all of us honest ones will be stuck in a draconian system aimed at controlling those that won't slow down. P platers will still die and now there will be more p platers driving between 11 and 5. Basically, the gov is trying to legislate to fix a problem, but realistically, a $600 fine is already a good enough deterent for someone not to speed, all the new laws are a waste. And even if some people do slow down, the road toll won't really change much.

CieL

HSC
latch said:
but realistically, a $600 fine is already a good enough deterent for someone not to speed, all the new laws are a waste.
I guess speeding is for the wealthy then.. if that's the case..

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
CieL said:
Yes. I'd leave my half drunken friends on the road in the middle of nowhere in order to avoid confrontation with the cops.

BULLLL that's a good point.. I've forgotten about the new rules, but in the back of my head, I thought it was: One passenger after you've committed some traffic offence.. idk, too many new rules, I cant remember n cbf'd to look at the first pg now I've thought abt it..

But... but... Canberra's a hole...
I was just reading NRMA magazine (the recent issue with the BMW on the cover) and even they don't support the after-11pm passenger restriction. As they put it, it means more p platers on the road at night... but I'm inclined to think, that's only half the possible negative consequences.

fai69

HSC
I agree with the zero tolerance...most drivers who first get their Ps think they're invincible when there's no cops or cameras and they just pedal to the metal.I think zero tolerance for P1 is a good way to let them know that driving is a privlege not an honour and that they are really on the edge if they were to stuff up.With a more harder driving test i think theyll value their licence more.Also read somehwhere about exterior display of P plates...which i think is stupid.Some people clip it between the wipers but when its raining then its a different story,not to mention when on bumpy roads the plates might slip off (mainly for 4 wheel drives at the back).I know you can get those things that u can stick to ur number plate to stick your Ps in but i dont think all cars can....i remember my old CRV i couldnt stick one of those on.Meh....i hate it when the rest of us has to cop the mistakes of others.I just got my greens today so woohoo for me anyway.

CieL

HSC
^ Been said =]

mcs said:
Other thing that would help significantly to curbing the overall road toll not just that with p platers would be to spend our taxes we pay properly and fix the shitty roads that there are in Australia, esp in NSW. But the Government wouldnt do that, of course not!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Woohooo no P1 restrictions for me this year.

Green P's FTW =]

ps. Got them today! The test isn't *that* easy because you still need to think a little.... but it's definitely not hard. Damn it was expensive all up though- $34 for test and $68 for the license ><

Last edited:

spangacrab

HSC
Aight, heres my problem. I was going along the highway the other day and was doing 105km/h in a 110km/h. But I am on my red Ps (90km/h) and I have a NSW licence and I was driving in QLD. The cops didn't chase me but I don't know whether they took a pic or not?

Will I lose my licence or not????!?!?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
hey question - it says FIRST YR p1 drivers. i've had my reds since sept 05, ie a year and a half. i just renewed it cos i barely drove a car until the last couple of months and i kind of failed my greens so decided it'd be easier just to front up for the renewal and deal with it all later.

so anyway, i'm a p1 driver and everything but i've had my license over a yr. it'll be closer to 2 yrs by the time this comes in. so do the restrictions apply?

CieL

HSC
spangacrab said:
Aight, heres my problem. I was going along the highway the other day and was doing 105km/h in a 110km/h. But I am on my red Ps (90km/h) and I have a NSW licence and I was driving in QLD. The cops didn't chase me but I don't know whether they took a pic or not?

Will I lose my licence or not????!?!?
Cops dont drive and take pictures at the same time.. if they didnt pursue you and pull you over on the spot, you're fine.

CieL

HSC
glycerine said:
hey question - it says FIRST YR p1 drivers. i've had my reds since sept 05, ie a year and a half. i just renewed it cos i barely drove a car until the last couple of months and i kind of failed my greens so decided it'd be easier just to front up for the renewal and deal with it all later.

so anyway, i'm a p1 driver and everything but i've had my license over a yr. it'll be closer to 2 yrs by the time this comes in. so do the restrictions apply?
You just renewed them. Meaning you got them [again] before July 07. So you don't have the restrictions placed upon you.

Weird, I would of just gone for my greens again instead of renewing p1s if I were you..

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
well I actually lost my license (physically lost it, not had it taken off me) and it would've expired about 1-2 weeks later anyway so I just decided it was easier to renew it. ie, I needed to have some form of license cos I was driving aroundfor a week or so without one.
like I said, I barely drove up until the last few months and I don't really care if I can go at 90k or 100, it doesn't affect me.

I thought that once the restrictions came in it applied to any 1st yr p1 driver? cos I was thinking along the lines of, it's august 5th and I'm driving at 1am with 2 or 3 people in the car. the cops pull me over, ask to see my license, expiry date is sept 08 or whatever... that suggests I am a first yr driver and I don't have any on-the-spot proof that I'm not. unlikely scenario but yeah, I was just wondering what they were going to do about things like that.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
glycerine said:
well I actually lost my license (physically lost it, not had it taken off me) and it would've expired about 1-2 weeks later anyway so I just decided it was easier to renew it. ie, I needed to have some form of license cos I was driving aroundfor a week or so without one.
like I said, I barely drove up until the last few months and I don't really care if I can go at 90k or 100, it doesn't affect me.

I thought that once the restrictions came in it applied to any 1st yr p1 driver? cos I was thinking along the lines of, it's august 5th and I'm driving at 1am with 2 or 3 people in the car. the cops pull me over, ask to see my license, expiry date is sept 08 or whatever... that suggests I am a first yr driver and I don't have any on-the-spot proof that I'm not. unlikely scenario but yeah, I was just wondering what they were going to do about things like that.
I also was under the impression it was for ALL Red P platers regardless of year... also inclined to think that they just added the words "first year" for the sake of describing to the reader what P1 usually entails rather than saying the conditions are exclusively first year only.

If you read on;
RTA said:
The NSW Government will introduce a series of major P plate reforms in the wake of options presented yesterday by the Young Driver Advisory Panel. They will apply to all P1 licence holders from July.
Even though it says excemptions apply to certain people (eg. 25+), I'm guessing you are probably 20 at oldest (since I doubt many 25+ people post here).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)