Parallels between Tell-Tale Hearts and The Tempest? (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
What are the parallels between Tell-Tale hearts and The Tempest? Thanks for the help!

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
The Tell-Tale Heart

Have you looked at summaries/read the play ? What do you think?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly I don't know. I'm not that good at analyzing.

Okay well start by looking for themes? and googling pre existing study guides...

The Tell-Tale Heart
* Deceptive nature of apperances/reality or different version of reality =link
* Mortality
* Time
* Supernatural = link

The Tempest
* Deceptive nature of apperances/reality or different version of reality
* The Illusion of Justice
* Freedom
* Power and Control
* Morality and Fairness

http://shakespeare.about.com/od/thetempest/tp/The_Tempest_Themes.htm
http://www.shmoop.com/tell-tale-heart/themes.html
http://www.shmoop.com/tempest/themes.html

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Okay well start by looking for themes? and googling pre existing study guides...

The Tell-Tale Heart
* Mortality
* Time
* Supernatural = link

The Tempest
* Freedom
* Power and Control
* Morality and Fairness

http://shakespeare.about.com/od/thetempest/tp/The_Tempest_Themes.htm
http://www.shmoop.com/tell-tale-heart/themes.html
http://www.shmoop.com/tempest/themes.html
Thanks alot man!

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
One more question, what is the discovery in Tell-Tale Hearts? When I read the text I didn't know what was the discovery.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
One more question, what is the discovery in Tell-Tale Hearts? When I read the text I didn't know what was the discovery.
Discovery is so broad, rather than looking from a plot perspective of 'what is the discovery', perhaps you should consider what types of discovery are made (reading and deconstructing the discovery rubric should give you plenty of ideas of what to look for). For example, intellectual, creative discovery, the rediscovery of something, and consider the impact of the discovery on the person who made the discovery or the person who influenced the discovery.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Discovery is so broad, rather than looking from a plot perspective of 'what is the discovery', perhaps you should consider what types of discovery are made (reading and deconstructing the discovery rubric should give you plenty of ideas of what to look for). For example, intellectual, creative discovery, the rediscovery of something, and consider the impact of the discovery on the person who made the discovery or the person who influenced the discovery.
Well the topic sentence that our teacher assigned for our assignment is "Discovery can be confronting and provoking", shouldn't the discovery in Tell-Tale Hearts relate to this? Could I still relate the discovery in Tell-Tale Hearts if it's different to the topic sentence? Know what I mean?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Well the topic sentence that our teacher assigned for our assignment is "Discovery can be confronting and provoking", shouldn't the discovery in Tell-Tale Hearts relate to this? Could I still relate the discovery in Tell-Tale Hearts if it's different to the topic sentence? Know what I mean?
Yes, but the component i.e the Tell-Tale heart is provoking to the reader, as it makes them feel uncomfortable..

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Yes, but the component i.e the Tell-Tale heart is provoking to the reader, as it makes them feel uncomfortable..
Oh wow, never though of that. But isn't the discovery meant to be in the story rather than the reader's feelings or it doesn't matter?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh wow, never though of that. But isn't the discovery meant to be in the story rather than the reader's feelings or it doesn't matter?
http://community.boredofstudies.org...osing-related-text-discovery.html#post6777396

* Human experience => How it can change/discoveries
=> Discoveries of an emotional or intellectual nature, discoveries about themselves or the world they live in.
=> May broaden our view point on different events, people, ourselfs
* Idea of new discoveries=> ideas, beliefs, lands, spiritual enlightment
* Discoveries may challenge ideas, values, belief system
* Discoveries may be sudden or expected, or may be as a result of careful planning

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
http://community.boredofstudies.org...osing-related-text-discovery.html#post6777396

=> Discoveries of an emotional or intellectual nature, discoveries about themselves or the world they live in.
* Idea of new discoveries=> ideas, beliefs, lands, spiritual enlightment
* Discoveries may challenge ideas, values, belief system
* Discoveries may be sudden or expected, or may be as a result of careful planning
Okay, I spoke to my English teacher about this and she said that not only I have to relate the themes of Tell-tale heart to The Tempset, but the discovery themes (if that makes sense) to the Tempest. Know what I mean? Like how do the discoveries in The Tempest and Tell-Tale Hearts relate?

Last edited:

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, I spoke to my English teacher about this and she said that not only I have to relate the themes of Tell-tale heart to The Tempset, but the discovery themes (if that makes sense) to the Tempest. Know what I mean? Like how do the discoveries in The Tempest and Tell-Tale Hearts relate?

Those are the ideas/themes which are explored in the rubric ( Have you bothered checking the link? or looking at the rubric)

Umn if the Tell-Tale heart is too complex as you seem to be struggling to understand it maybe choose a different related text which is something you can understand

The Tell-Tale Heart
2)Discoveries may challenge ideas, values, belief system
* Mortality
=> Discoveries may challenge ideas, values, belief system
1) Human experience => How it can change/discoveries
* Time
* Supernatural = link

The Tempest
* Freedom
* Power and Control
* Morality and Fairness

Look at the rubric, and the ideas that I posted. You can think, and you have the capacity to work it out for your self...

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad

Can be discovering new emotions, it relates to the readers feelings as well,..ie our responses to the text.

RaspberryFanta

HSC
Hey BlueGas, I'm also comparing these two. The themes I drew between them and my other related texts are Betrayal/Immorality, Versions of Reality and Manipulation. Let me know if you're still doing this text and maybe we can help each other out. :)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Hey BlueGas, I'm also comparing these two. The themes I drew between them and my other related texts are Betrayal/Immorality, Versions of Reality and Manipulation. Let me know if you're still doing this text and maybe we can help each other out. :)
Yep, I'm still doing it.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Anyone also doing Tell-Tale Hearts? What are some discoveries in this text?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)