• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Parents, domestic abuse, want to leave home - need help! (1 Viewer)

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
Fuck Omie Jay for being right.

lolz.

hmm, are your parents full hard core by religion or culture?

anyscope

HSC
Wow. I really don't have advice to give... but would like to say this is so wrong.

I really hope that things turn out okay for you.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
this is very wrong, it really gives me the shits when i hear about parents who act like this, and make me really grateful for mine.

mouz

HSC
Omie_Jay - Once again, I really don't know his reasoning for not allowing me to work. We don't interact unless it is to fight. Can't get mum on my side, she too is fearful of him. I probably should play smart and talk to him, but don't know if I can stoop myself to such lows.

Savak - He may be Muslim, but he is not religious.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
your dad sounds seriously screwed up, sorry, i wouldnt know what to do in your situation :eek:

talk to police? but that might escalate things...

i dont know how much you earn, but moving out might be the only option, tho ur parents most likely will have quite a reaction to this.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Hmm,, should tell my GF's dad that.

Cunt always expects >95% from her and she usually does, but got 60% in her 2unit Maths and scared to show him.

BTW, the her father is a dumb fuck who told her she might aswell become a checkout chick because she wanted to do TAFE first then goto Uni even though he barely passed his HSC and doesnt know how to use a proper email service.

Microsoft Outlook IS FAIL!
wat?

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Tallkid34 - I have held a casual position for over a year now, which he does not know about. I don't have many hours at uni and have been able to get away with having the job. At the moment I do have the means to move out but would obviously need to find a better paying job to support myself after a while. And about the friends thing, I have never discussed this with any of my friends, I almost feel embarrassed to.
Unfortunately, your culture changes everything.

I've actually lived in Pakistan in the past so I know firsthand how repressive of a position muslim women find themselves within the household.

As you belong to a highly entrenched and family-orientated culture, I now know that you're not going to be able to go break out of it.

Seemingly, your only real way of getting out of your situation is to simply get married and hopefully to a man who will give you the freedom that's been denied to you.

In your circumstances, I really don't see any other way.

PattieBoi

HSC
thanks for the counsellor idea but i just don't know how much they will be able to help.
Oh they help heaps. Trust me. I've been calling them lately for an issue I'm having atm. The best thing is, you get the same counsellor over and over again. So when you call them back, just ask to be connected to your previous counsellor and just goes from there.

It's free on home phones and optus mobiles. Plus the number will NEVER appear on the phone bill.

quik.

HSC
Seriously?

You are 20 years old. Tell a friend you trust, ask if they mind if you stay with them while you find more suitable work (to support yourself). Grab your shit, move out.

You have the internet so you can find out about services that are there to help you if you feel you will need them. If you have people at home you wish to stay in contact with, give them a call/email and let them know the situation. I would advise not letting them know where you are staying unless you want your dad coming around, at least initially.

But really, it's not rocket science. You're an adult, you're in a living environment that is marginalising what YOU want and causing you (apparently) sever emotional distress, move the fuck out.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
1. Get married to a good muslim boy.
2. Fuck him over get a divorce and take half of his assets.
3. Hook up with a Mexican boy toy named Juan and enjoy life.
4. ???
5. Profit!

PattieBoi

HSC
LOL.

Sorry but from what this girl has said, it's quite concerning that her parents still treat her like that. I mean she's 20 FFS. We live in the 21st century and in our time and age, everybody is equal.

Shoot her dad tbh.

anyscope

HSC
LOL.

Sorry but from what this girl has said, it's quite concerning that her parents still treat her like that. I mean she's 20 FFS. We live in the 21st century and in our time and age, everybody is equal.

Shoot her dad tbh.
I'll bring the ammo

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Go to your local police station, explain your situation that you want to leave home, but are unable to due to intimidation and you fear if you do so you will be beaten.

They will take you seriously, get you in contact with organisations which can help and will keep you safe. You shouldn't have to live like this.

Some of the advice in this thread is so retarded. The girl was physically beaten at 17, this shit's serious.

mouz

HSC
Once again thank you to those who bothered with a serious reply. much appreciated.

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
It sounds like something out of the book 'A thousand splendid suns' which goes in depth about the mistreatment women in muslim cultures. It's a bit sad that women with as much potential as men are held back because of tradition. You shouldn't be made to fear your father.

I'd say manage your money well and prepare to move out as an independent. Get centrelink money as an independent student for rent and support. You can't expect to live with your parents forever. But budget well and think carefully about how much you need to spend per week. Getting another job may be a bit hard in a recession, but in any case once you move out, you can get Austudy from the Govt until you find a secured job if you do decide to move out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)