parents gifts for getting good in hsc ? or no gifts :( (1 Viewer)

johnny_87

HSC
Before the year I was expected to get 90 but I was lazy and had heaps of fun and still pulled a 85.5, but that meant no present (thus far). I'll most likely still make Exercise Science at Sydney or Wollongong so I'm pretty happy I didn't have to sacrifice much.

darkroomgirl

HSC
Oh, and also...

* One of my favourite teachers took me and my boyfriend out for a celebratory lunch (his treat). It was great... he bitched so much about this one teacher I hated (and whom, apparently, the whole staff hates as well).

* I bought myself a few treats, from my school award money. I bought the book 'Geisha, A Life' by Mineko Iwasaki (I'm obsessed with geishas.. btw, the 'Memoirs of a Geisha' movie is coming out soon! AHHH!) and a DVD, 'House of Flying Daggers'. These also count for Christmas...

SlipStream

HSC
seremify007 said:
Upon reading http://www.bmw.com.au/scripts/main.asp?PageID=14509&PID=2 it turns out I was mistaken- my cousin has this but it was specced without air conditioning, sound system, etc... (ie. it's bare inside). I'm guessing the UK model (where they imported it from) is different to the Australian model. Also note, I've never been racing in the CSL, but I've sat in passenger seat in his stripped-drag-racing 300zx so I know the pains of sitting in a performance-only car.
Guys if you want to discuss this further, please feel free to make a new thread in the C+A room by clicking here. Cheers!

rusty_rouge

HSC
I bought myself some treats with my own money - but parent-wise, no presents or anything - the marks were for my own advantage, and their pride was more than enough to satisfy me. :D

HSC
i got schoolies paid for, a 2k alcohol supplied 18th party, a new phone and some cash from family/cousins.
:) Can't complain.

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
i did well but have yet to recieve anything of monetary value. didn't expect anything and don't expect anything anyway. they're proud, and that's all i wanted from them.

MarsBarz

HSC
My parents and I had an agreement that should I get 95+ they would buy me the computer of my choice.
I've still got to finalise my specs but it is going to be a beast :D.

Cripple Crow

HSC
My parents helped pay for my formal, earlier in the year they helped me pay for my car which was really kind. I think for Christmas they are getting me an MP3 player, all for my marks. I'm really grateful for it, I really didn't want anything.

HSC
N/A
nesso said:
i got 93.50 and i dont feel any reward somple even from myself. i've got no satisfaction what so ever. i hated this year..i worked hard..i stressed hard core. it wasnt worth it i'd trade my mark in for an 85 (just so i could do the course i want) if it would mean i had more fun this year...

plus nothing from my parents..dont feel special

feel sorry for ya. Yhe u gotta hav fun in the last year, i enjoyed the last year n gettin a uai of 83 uai jus tops it off. I rather have fun then get a uai of 99. This is last year of scool, spend time wif ur friends n do crazy sh--. u neva get another chance at it ... studyin hard n gettin uai of 99 is not the key to happiness although it could be a factor... sex, party n flirtin wif teachers n gettin nothin but a smile is the key to happienss!

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Yep totally, lol I suppose the marks itself are a reward already ^^ Though my parents are asking whether I need a new comp/lappy...haha but having a trip around coming January is more than enough for me :)

lol, haha alot of late-nighters here still..

Kirika

HSC
yeah my parents are part of the 'the mrks are the reward' team. other schools give money to the dux? i got dux and the highest uai at our school eva and ill be lucky if they every actually put my name up on the little honour board thingy.... mind you i think the principal n deputy are a little miffed as both their sons got sent away and i beat them.. he he

MrRock

HSC
Obviously the reward would be harder to achieve depending on the person, but my dad decided to give me $1000 dollars for every point over 90. Now someone who is aiming for 97+ would find this great (and my dad probably would not have made the offer if i was one of those ppl). But i ended up with 92.65 giving me a nice two and a half grand in the bank. I guess the downfall is looking back and thinking if I hadn't stuffed up those few questions in each exam, I could be sitting on an extra grand or too lol. Oh well, i'm really happy with results.

philip.watt

prinze__martin said:
sex, party n flirtin wif teachers n gettin nothin but a smile is the key to happienss!
Without wishing to turn this forum into a religious discussion, youll find no real happiness long term with either that or a high uai. Its all got to dry up eventually, think about that.

Back on topic My dad promised me $100 for each uai point over 90. I got 90.25. Gaaah. Oh well, it really doesnt matter, now that im working $100 is a days wages. I got a nice set of awards from the school, all of which were very prestigious but worth next to nothing. All up I got $80 worth of books. 2 of my friends who got a similar number of awards got $240 and $250 respectively. I got the ministers award for excellence, one of the top awards in the state, for which I got a pretty certificate and afternoon tea - total value about $15 probably. A friend of mine got a vocational training award, similar prestige but worth $2000!!!!! The awards system hates me, thats all there is to it.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
School gave me nothing. Got a computer off my parents though.

EDIT: I tell a lie, they gave me a nice plaque with: "Dux 2003" written on it.

HSC
just in word from the parents: D, HD average uni and we'll give you a car!

I'll be damned if I can pass!

kcchippy

HSC
got no gifts at all :(

Meh..I didn't get any gifts/celebration dinner or anything, and I got a UAI of 99.45, which I think is quite good..but yeah..guess it's a matter of opinion there...

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
kcchippy said:
Meh..I didn't get any gifts/celebration dinner or anything, and I got a UAI of 99.45, which I think is quite good..but yeah..guess it's a matter of opinion there...
what...r ur parents really strict and hav higher expectations???

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
kcchippy said:
a UAI of 99.45 is a gift itself. lucky you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)