Parents paying for uni-apply dfee or csp? (1 Viewer)

gracie007

HSC
When I do my preferences/apply to UAC, am I meant to select CSP courses or DFEE courses, if my parents are able to pay, ie...not needing a loan. I find all the sites on this stuff confusing and I really don't understand the whole DFEE/CSP thing.

Thanks all.:confused:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
gracie007 said:
When I do my preferences/apply to UAC, am I meant to select CSP courses or DFEE courses, if my parents are able to pay, ie...not needing a loan. I find all the sites on this stuff confusing and I really don't understand the whole DFEE/CSP thing.

Thanks all.:confused:
You can choose to go on a CSP place and pay Upfront or a DFEE place which is pay Upfront from the beginning.

The difference is the a DFEE place can't fall back on a deferment, so if you, as you say have the money, then DFEE should be no problem for you as long as you don't run out or fail too many.

volition

arr.
HSC
Still, wouldn't it be in her own interests to get a CSP place? I thought it was cheaper overall... Might as well preference the CSP version above the DFEE one.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Depends on the priority/mark she gets.

sarevok

HSC
AsyLum said:
You can choose to go on a CSP place and pay Upfront or a DFEE place which is pay Upfront from the beginning.

The difference is the a DFEE place can't fall back on a deferment, so if you, as you say have the money, then DFEE should be no problem for you as long as you don't run out or fail too many.
wtf? i thought csp is commonwealth supported place and dfee is full-fee, i.e. when you don't get the uai required so you pay more

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You can choose to pay upfront on a CSP and get a 20% discount on the overall cost. DFEE though has the advantage of paying full-fee and getting a mark lower than the CSP place. So its up to her which one she chooses, if she wants to save money, or if she needs those extra marks.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
if your folks are footing the bill and they have no objections then go dfee.

Raginsheep

HSC
blackfriday said:
if your folks are footing the bill and they have no objections then go dfee.
If she has the UAI, go CSP always and her parents can pay that.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Go for both - if the full-fee option is available, list it as a secondary preference:

1. CSP degree of some sort
2. Full-fee version of preference 1
3. CSP of a different sort
4. Full fee version of preference 3
and so on.

Whatever you do, be sure to list the CSP preference first - no matter how much money your parents may have, there's no point in paying the full amount for a degree when you could enter as a HECS-Help student.

Edit: The above is based on the assumption that your parents will have enough to support you through uni should you enter as a full fee student. Be sure to keep in mind the fact that, in general, what you pay for a single year of study as a full fee student will pretty much cover all that you must pay over the course of the entire degree as a CSP student.

Last edited:

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
AsyLum said:

Bah? FEE Help is exactly the same as HECS Help, so you can defer your whole degree as long as it doesn't pass the $55 000 cap.

Anyway, unless it's your dream course and you just fall short of the UAI, apply for CSP. Considering your parents have the money I'd go with Generator and put your CSP pref followed by the same course as a DFEE student.

Last edited:

gracie007

HSC
Woah, some of that was confusing.
Yeah, I've already put in my prefs and I forgot to list all of them with their DFEE places as well. shit. Oh well, looks like its CSP for me.

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
gracie007 said:
Yeah, I've already put in my prefs and I forgot to list all of them with their DFEE places as well. shit. Oh well, looks like its CSP for me.
It all depends what your UAI is and what the course cut-off is. For example, if the cut-off is 90 and you get 91, you're in as a CSP student. If the course cut-off is 90 and you get 89, you can do the first year (and ones following it if you don't want to transfer) as a DFEE student, because paying $10 000 more than a CSP student will lower the UAI cut-off to 85.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
snickerdoodle said:
Bah? FEE Help is exactly the same as HECS Help, so you can defer your whole degree as long as it doesn't pass the $55 000 cap.

Anyway, unless it's your dream course and you just fall short of the UAI, apply for CSP. Considering your parents have the money I'd go with Generator and put your CSP pref followed by the same course as a DFEE student.
Thanks champ, wtf are you on about? Who said anything about FEE Help?

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
My bad, you were talking about deferment of a year and I thought you meant deferment of tuition :). I've spent the last 4 hours writing an essay on the enlightenment, give me a break.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
gracie007 said:
Ah, your preferences aren't locked in till 4 January 2007.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
snickerdoodle said:
My bad, you were talking about deferment of a year and I thought you meant deferment of tuition :). I've spent the last 4 hours writing an essay on the enlightenment, give me a break.
Haha all good, just a bit confused as to where the FEE-Help thing came from :ninja:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Definately CSP, as other people have said, if you get the UAI for the course. You can finalise your preferences after you get your UAI.

For example, my course under DFEE would cost ~$18k a year, so times that by 4, and the cost is quite large. Under HECS-HELP (CSP), the cost would be about ~$8k a year for 4 years (plus yearly increases) and paying that upfront would get you a 20% discount. I hope that example helps.

Actual HECS-HELP fees are determined on a per subject basis rather than the degree you do. Most subjects fall into Band 2, but some subjects like teaching are cheaper in Band 1 and law is more expensive in Band 3. So, in other words, you could be paying more or less depending on which subjects you do each semester and also how many you do.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I think we're all forgetting that the threadstarter is obviously too retarded to get the requisite UAI for any course, anywhere.

rockets

HSC
N/A
Hey gracie - don't worry as you can keep changing preferences up to just before uni placements come out (there is a certain date, but not exactly sure of this - u need to check) What uai are u expecting and what are u planning to do??

gracie007

HSC
withoutaface said:
I think we're all forgetting that the threadstarter is obviously too retarded to get the requisite UAI for any course, anywhere.

hahahaha bad choice. get out of my thread before you embarrass urself.

Rockets: so can u ADD stuff onto your list of 9 even if they weren't on there in the first place?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)