parents paying for uni fees/textbooks etc (1 Viewer)

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
My dad pay for my student activity fees, HECS, car fees and grocery shopping, etc... But I pretty much for everything else, like textbooks, transport, clothes, etc. My dad encourages me to pay for my own expenses so i can learn to become independant in the future.

only_me

HSC
how do I pay for uni?... let's see, its called a job. I started working in year 9 and since then, have basically paid for everything (except the house bills, cause I live at home) I hecs uni and have save constantly over the past 3 years to pay for transport, text books, food, clothes, etc. I wounld never expect my parents to pay for uni for me- whether they wanted to or not. Wouldn't you feel so much more satisfied knowing that YOU were responsible for your success and that you can stand on your own two feet? I don't mean to have a go at any of you, but seriously.......

Generator

HSC
N/A
Why should anyone be ashamed of the fact that they have accepted a helping hand from their parents? In what way are they any less of a person than someone who has 'struggled' to do it all on their own? Please, tell me, because I would love to know.

lala2

Banned
HSC
I'm HECsing, borrowing all the textbooks from the library/getting 2nd hand stuff. My parents paid for the subscription fees, and public transport packages. I live rent-free at home and don't drive, so that cuts down a fair bit. Also, I don't eat much at home and have a very small lunch every time, so food is not too much of an issue. I feel fortunate enough to have such parents, but I do commend all of you who have to support yourselves one way or the other.

SuGa BunI =D

broken doo dooo booo
HSC
my mom paid for uni fees last year but im hecsing from now on
but i live by myself so i pay the rent, sharing a car with mom so im paying for petrol n rego, grocery bill, mob phone bill, entertainment, clubbing, drinking, shopping & uni books... all on my own. so basically $400/week and no saving

Lainee

HSC
only_me said:
I wounld never expect my parents to pay for uni for me- whether they wanted to or not. Wouldn't you feel so much more satisfied knowing that YOU were responsible for your success and that you can stand on your own two feet? I don't mean to have a go at any of you, but seriously.......
I know what you're saying about independency, but increased independency means increased responsibility. I'd rather not have the responsibility if I could help it.

I read in an article last year about how young adults are staying in the family home until a much older age than in previous generations. So while our parents yearn to get out of the house as soon as they hit 18, our generation know that it's more economically feasible to stay home and soak in as much generosity as our parents can impart. :)

G

Gavvvvvin

Generator said:
Why should anyone be ashamed of the fact that they have accepted a helping hand from their parents?
Because theres no reason why anyone cant pay for everything themselves?

G

Gavvvvvin

yeah well uni isnt compulsory, and everyone is working age by uni, so you should be paying your own way, you sponge.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
natstar said:
What about people who went to private schools? You cant say the student payed their way through
High school is different though. As Deathless already said, uni isn't compulsory. Uni students choose to go there. We're more able to pay or at least contribute to expenses by this age most of us have time to work.

Generator

HSC
N/A
_DeathlessOne_ said:
Because theres no reason why anyone cant pay for everything themselves?
I said a helping hand, not a pram. Still, if the parents wish to provide so much help, then that is their choice, and the student is in no way a lesser person for accepting such help.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
My HECS fees are deferred, and I pay for pretty much everything else (rego, insurance, clothes, my social life, mobile phone, GSC, textbooks, all expenses related with going on prac, etc)

My parents do pay for food (but only at home, they don't pay for my lunches at uni, or if I want to go out to dinner-unless its with them, or anything like that)...oh, and they pay for my fuel too (~$30/week).

EDIT: I don't pay board either...but really, the expenses of having me at home aren't THAT huge...we're on tank water, so there is no water bill...I don't contribute that much towards the electricity bill...and I don't eat that much, so my contribution to the grocery bill is also minimal. So apart from a tiny bit of food, tiny bit of electricty, and my fuel, I'm really not costing the parentals that much. Besides, they like having me at home and don't particularly want me to leave just yet.

Last edited:
L

LaraB

natstar said:
As I said, going to a private school is not compulsory either, and people choose to go to one over a public school. The legal working age is 14 and 9 months (about year 9?) so if its so important for you to go to a private school, then you should contribute as well to the $000 is costs to go there.
As for Asian parents, arent they hell keen on their children getting a good education, and get pissed if their child does not get into uni, shouldent they be willing to pay the money for their child to go to uni?

Anyway, I dont feel bad at all, it cost me hardly anything to attend my high school, I'm the only person in my immediate family that has ever gone to uni or done some tertiary study.
lol i love the "asian parent" generalisation:p my mum's family are asian, dad's family are 'white' and compared to my dad's side, my mum's side are so laid back on that kinda stuff.

Especially if you're the only one that's gone on to tertiary study it's totally understandable why your family would be extra supportive. My family pretty much everybody goes to uni... it's no big deal.. we pay for eveyrthing our selves that isn't a "necessity" as in like, food, clothes, that kinda thing.

We pay our own fees, hecs is deferred, pay for mobiles, petrol, transport, books, photocopies and all that stuff...

Much as i hate how some people don't have to pay for anything themselves, i dont' see why people always bag them and assume they're just rich kids and don't know how to take care of themselves, especially those who aren't full fee pyaing students and got in to their courses purely on merits. Sure, some are but plenty aren't....

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Especially if you're the only one that's gone on to tertiary study it's totally understandable why your family would be extra supportive.
I'm the first one in my family (immediate or extended) that has gone onto further education, and yet my parents don't support me (apart from the minimal costs above, which I would be more than happy to pay for if they wanted me to)

L

LaraB

hipsta_jess said:
I'm the first one in my family (immediate or extended) that has gone onto further education, and yet my parents don't support me (apart from the minimal costs above, which I would be more than happy to pay for if they wanted me to)

I didn't say that being one of v ery few in your family going to uni means that your parents will/should pay for everything for you.

I said it is understandable why they might.

Eg - i have 4 brothers, 2 are at uni already and the other 2 will be in the next coupld oe years - if my parents paid for say, each of our HECs, that would total more than $150,000 which is totally ridiculous and i'd n ever expect them to do that... if they paid for everything like some parents do, they'd be spending at least more than $1million between the 5 of us minimum.

However, my bf for eg, he's an only kid so it's not as big a deal for his parents to pay for a heap of his stuff because it's no where near that kinda money. And if you're an only kid or the only one in your family to go to uni, it's probably going to be a bigger deal for your parents so it's natural that they'd wanna help you out even more since it's not a 'usual' occurrence.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
natstar said:
As I said, going to a private school is not compulsory either, and people choose to go to one over a public school. The legal working age is 14 and 9 months (about year 9?) so if its so important for you to go to a private school, then you should contribute as well to the $000 is costs to go there.
As for Asian parents, arent they hell keen on their children getting a good education, and get pissed if their child does not get into uni, shouldent they be willing to pay the money for their child to go to uni?

Anyway, I dont feel bad at all, it cost me hardly anything to attend my high school, I'm the only person in my immediate family that has ever gone to uni or done some tertiary study.
I see your point however I mentioned that at this age we have more time to work.
With high school, you're there 5 days a week between the hours of 8:30-3:15 (or something like that).

At uni, with the exception of some degrees most students have more time relative to hours attended by high school students, to work.

As to the Asian parents thing, well times are changing and some are accepting if you can't make it into uni

Last edited:

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
Man i am so jealous of you fuckers, lol. Embrace the fact that your parents pay for you, i wish mine were in the financial postion to do, alas they are not. My YA pays my rent, as for general living expenses i work my ass off as a check out chick in order to pay for food, clothes etc.

I defer HECS (what a bitch to pay all that shit back)- basically i am just having a whinge, you guys may hate leeching of your parents, but believe me it would suck more not to have the money to get textbooks or enjoy a healthy social life or not having a car becuase of the expense. But then again it puts me in good steed for the future, i am already completely independent, and i sorta guess that is cool... in a kind of looking at in a mature and adult way

fuck it waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh i want mummy and daddy to pay for me too *cries at how much the world hates me* why me world whhhhhhhhyyyy?

suz

HSC
I am very appreciative of the fact that my parents do help me out heaps. While they are not paying for my HECS (I am deferring) they do pay for all my textbooks, any admin fees and petrol. I do work but there is no way I would be able to afford to pay for everything atm and i'm so grateful to my parents for helping me!

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i paid for my textbooks, but if you look at it it was really my parents money cos i borrowed some off dad a couple of weeks prior for some other stuff and when they said ok we'll pay i just said ok, just cut it off my debt and i'll use the money in my account.
from next semester on my parents will pay my fees based on my results (distinction average or above.) haha speaking of, i'm procrastinating now! i don't see that as overly excessive or unreasonable; i have to work for it, its not like they're paying for me to bludge, i went to a public high school (my brother goes to newington college where the fees are more than mine atm) and we can afford it. however, i'm grateful for it... i would never ask for the money but they offered and i accepted.
they will be buying me a (secondhand) car soon but i intend to pay petrol and the like.

for the record i am by no means a lazy or spoilt bludger. i currently work 5-7 days a week and use my own money for basically everything else. i don't expect my parents to pay for me to go out drinking or smoke $50ish of cigarettes a week or buying clothes or food or anything. [bar of course what i eat at home]. the only time i ever ask for money for 'petty' things is if i've had a lot of things to pay off that week and have worked a bit less than usual (i do have some of my own long term debts). sometimes you just don't have any money by the day before payday and my savings are dismal enough as it is.
personally, i think it's poor form to be an adult and choose not to work, even if just one shift a week to bring yourself even minimal personal income.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)