Parents Reaction to UAI marks (1 Viewer)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
fundamentally said:
Scottish and South African, actually.

Asians are not the only ones who want to help their children achieve. Most migrant families have high expectations, unlike Mr and Mrs Aussie Beer-belly Norm who are content to have their kids work as tradesmen or teachers.
haha south african, that says it all. Arrogance is every south africans middle name. Add racist to that aswell.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
fundamentally said:

Asians are not the only ones who want to help their children achieve. Most migrant families have high expectations, unlike Mr and Mrs Aussie Beer-belly Norm who are content to have their kids work as tradesmen or teachers.
That's quite a racist generalisation.

Quite a few top students from my (selective) school were Anglo-Saxon. Parents' attitude and expectations depend not on race, but on status and environment.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
fundamentally said:
Not at all.
However, far too many australians are like you, content to be mediocre.
And fond of attacking anything that challenges their comfortable preconceptions.
Now that's an unfair and insulting assumption.

I'm definitely not content to be mediocre, but I'd prefer to be just that than being a high-achiever with an attitude like yours.

I hope Pwaryeux is right and you really are a troll.

snowblack

bleh
HSC
fundamentally said:

Who are you to insult tradesmen or teachers? Don't insult careers you know nothing about. You can't seriously expect to make a generalisation that all Aussies are content to take whatever job they can get their hands on, you have people like that in EVERY RACE ...and your arrogance over the fact that your brother only got 99 shows how much you need a reality check :cool:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
I can't believe obvious trolls still get such a strong response.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
fundamentally said:
It is actually Argonaut.
He is schizophrenic and logs in under another name. :cool:

You are some sort of conspiracy freak, arent you ?
Dudette, you are obviously very new to BoS, where bogus accounts and trolls can be found right under your nose, wherever you are. :)

Speaking of which, welcome to BoS, and I sincerely hope you'll serve a purpose other than making others feel 2-inches tall. You're extremely smart, so why don't you swallow your arrogance and share your knowledge with us?

HNCS

Fanatic
HSC
Just something about reprise's daughter. I really think her daughter has achieved a lot, I definatley won't be able to cope with all of that...Even if I get a 100UAI in the future..I'll still think she has achieved more than me...What spirit...

Of course, there are people who get in the 70's that don't try hard....There are so many possibilities...I guess what's most important is what's in the end...I mean University is just the beginning of getting a job, and getting a job..is only a tiny part of life, there's so much more.

Sounding quite something, lol, Bill Geights(i think i spelt it right...) wasn't a perfect student, Einstein..is famously known for his unsuccessful junior years and into university. LOL

UAI really isn't much...I think parents should understand that getting into Law, Medicine..whatever..really doesn't mean that much...

But nevertheless, we still should give all those people who study hard, work hard...or did something a pat on the back.

Merry Christmas and Happy new year!

Last edited:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
HNCS said:
Bill Geights ...
You mean Bill Gates? :p

Old topic - I agree that her daughter has done well considering her circumstances, which - if I may say so - could have been avoided with a little disipline. I really feel she is not strict enough with her child, and even though she believes it's good for her daughter, ultimately she's harming her.

Last edited:

HNCS

Fanatic
HSC
LOL..
Yah, i'm not denying that being strict is a good thing..but I supose..everything depends on circumstances...you need a nice balance...lol

rebecca05

HSC
kido525 said:
So lets start off by saying the mark and your parents reactions

Well i got 68.55 and my parents seemed fine with it they wanted me to get a higher UAI but getting into UNI is what they find the most important aspect if it was <50 i will be packing my bags >.<''

I am probably wrong but i'll ask anyway...Paul is that you?

I was in QLD when i got my results. We had no internet access where we stayed and I was getting impatient waiting for my friends to wake up so instead I rang my mum at work and got her to get it. She is "technologically challenged" so she got her good friend (family friend otherwise I wouldn't have let her check it) to fill in my numbers and she read it out. When she did she asked if that was good and all I could hear in the background was my mum going insane. At one stage I thought she was even crying. Apparently the first thing she did was run downstairs and tell everyone. As I work in the same building as my mum, going back to work a little embarassing lol!!

Alimoe_KG

HSC
miss_gtr said:
I study hard, but perhaps I didnt study smart? There days when I studied for 15 hours.. But many of those hours were probably contributed to me just reading notes and highlighting. My downfall, perhaps was me not doing practice papers or preparing essays. My parents never really cared about my marks/uai, When I told them.. It was more just... "Ok", And seeings I always had homework to do, or I always had my nose in a book or writing summaries etc...My dad would always be the first person to say "What are you really doing? Are you pretending?.. Highschool can't seriously be giving you that much homework?....If your bored you can always go behind my T.V and pick up all the dvds and videos that have fallen behind it"..(Yew, thats motivation for you)! I Know myself that I studied really hard for the HSC, And I ended up with a pretty mediocre result...But I'm content. I think another issue I had was tha I was too busy hating a subject, and thus lost interest in studying for it..and understanding it; I only liked 2 subjects out of the 6 that I did- I hated Legal studies with a passion, I didn't like the teachers attitude and I would sit in class and doodle and because it was my spare unit (so I thought) I never tried in it, I didnt study as hard for it for the trials and hsc, I came 5th in the class anyways and ended up with a decent result.. But after getting them back, I thought If i had've sat down, lost my attitude problem-Things could've been better. And to rub in to all my luck I had the same teacher for religion, So naturally I did the same in this class, I came 8/42 in the grade and had a decent result, but like legal.. If I sat down to realise how childish I was like, things mightve been different. English.. I hate the teacher with a passion.. The subject I love. I had soooooooooooooooooo much hate for this teacher, This was out of my hand.. we couldn't find a level to settle on, I came 2nd last in the class (out of 12), And so after the english exams..I wasn't too happy with my performance, So I thought........Eh, Maybe she was right, I wasn't "Advanced english material". I got my marks back and my exam mark was higher than my assesment mark, Oh boy.. did that hurt? HELL YES. And lastly, PDHPE.. I didn't understand the subject, it didnt interest me, it bored me..it was too bludgey for my liking.. however, I came 3rd and got a super shit mark for it in the end (as did the rest of the class) and inconclusion we had a theory that we all sucked at health. So instead of legal, pdhpe and sor2 I had always wanted to do: modern history (school said: "we aren't opening the class up for one student), History ext. (we aren't opening the class up for one student), Latin (latin? isn't that a dead language?..you can't do that for the hsc! oh and we wouldnt open it up for one student even if we had a teacher "how about distance ed?".."No") English ext 1 (Was I going to bother to apply after the teacher was so quizzical over my choice to do advanced?). But Ive realised I can't spend all my time going "I could've done better if I'd tried harder" or blaming subject selection or teacher hatredness for my poor performance during the year. Truth is, I tried so fucking hard, and ended up with a relatively shit result, so I should cop it on the chin and move on.
(I have no idea why I quoted airness)
Yeah what the hell, why quote me woman :p

But it's people like you that makes me feel guilty. Some people just have extraordinary talent, others like you have a very hard work ethic. Unfortunately, HSC's one of those things where talent is more valuable than hard work.

What's most pissy about your situation is that you were forced to do subjects you didn't like and prevented from doing the ones you wanted. That's fucking infuriating shit. I wouldn't have tolerated that.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
miss_gtr said:
Oh it infuriated you? I think I sat in class grinding my teeth for most classes :p
And for someone who is going to be a lawyer, you should treat women with respect (pfft sif call me woman)
I don't planon being a lawyer. Now shush woman :p

Alimoe_KG

HSC
I think less than half of people who study law actually go on to practise it...

Alimoe_KG

HSC
No to help with your commerce degree.

Businesses are built on the legal system so obviously an employee familiar with law is attractive.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
thewhitecomet said:
I do it next year. My parents will crucify me if I don't get 99+....awwww...
does it relate to what u want to do at uni? or r u just aiming up?

Airness said:
No to help with your commerce degree.

Businesses are built on the legal system so obviously an employee familiar with law is attractive.
how do all the comm ppl get jobs then?
its one of those things i wonder about.. its goin to be disappointing if there hav too many in the future :(

Last edited:

sNiPeR_24

Fo' shizzle
HSC
I love the "Jesus Christ I only got a 99 UAI. I should have tried harder!!! *Ties hangmans noose and hangs self*" responses. They're good for a bedtime read when you've got nothing else to do but marvel at the ironic stupidity of such comments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)