Parents Reaction to UAI marks (1 Viewer)

HSC
erawamai said:
Um...they are high achievers and they also have good social skills (I assume).
Why did you edit your post mate,
I'm saying that generally speaking Asians don't learn social skills because they are restricted to a purely scholarly life by their over demanding parents.

Of course you can have both, but if you don't learn one or the other, your screwed.

PiGMAN

HSC
my parents reaction - "Great!........... Imagine what you could've got if you tried!"

kido525

HSC
Chief2666 said:
Am I the only person who doesnt get on with my parents?? My parents dont even have the slightest interst in my existance, they dont know anything about me, HA HA!! its quite funny actually it goes like this:

1. They dont even know what subjects I took at school.
2. They dont know what UAI I got, and most likely dont know what what a UAI is, And I dont plan on telling them(68.55)

it gets funnier here

3. They expect me to become a farmer or some shit like that, HA!!
4. They dont know that I want to go to uni and that I have already been accepted, HA HA HA!!
5. I couldnt care less what they would think of my marks, cause in a month or two Im pickin up my stuff and leaving for university, most likely never coming back and im not even gonna tell them. LMAO!! IM JUST GONNA DISAPPEAR ONE DAY!! LMAO!!

so, long story short, who cares what your parents think, unless you actually "get on" with them and they actually know you exist. Then it is all good.

and oh yah, reprise, congrats on your daughters results, im glad to see parents so involved with there childrens accomplishments, meep, I dont think your a bad parent at all.

I have a strange feeling im gonna get flamed right about now...
How cool u got the same UAI as me 68.55 awesome stuff mate

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Generator said:
Hmmm. I think that Lundy's post is best read with one of iamaware's in mind. Pushing a child to a considerable degree may not be helpful, but a parent should have done all that they can to instill within their child the proper mindset with which to tackle life (both school and beyond).

That said, I doubt that anyone would say that there's anything wrong with a slight push (or a reminder) from your parents - it's more the constant pressure that is the issue here.

For the record, my situation was much like Lundy's. However, I'm still to learn the lessons that years of regret have sent sent my way :(. Oh well, it's my life.
Yes. I'm not denying that the occasional nudge in the right direction can be beneficial. But applying constant pressure as the means to a child's success is, IMHO, not the best way to go about ensuring a child becomes successful in the world. A heap of pressure at HSC time may result in a bragworthy 99 on a piece of paper, but is it really conducive to giving the kid the independence with which to tackle the real world? I don't believe so. Like I said, I think that at HSC level, a student should be old enough to stand on their own two feet, exercise their own judgement, and learn their own lessons.

I think instilling the right mindset from a young age is more beneficial than applying deliberate pressure when the time comes to perform. I credit positive support as what kept me sane during my HSC. 'It's nearly over. Keep at it. We know you're capable' is so much more comforting for a kid to hear than 'if you fail we'll disown you.' I'm just so grateful for the parents I have who instilled a work ethic in me from an early age by rewarding my successes rather than reprimanding (or threatening to reprimand) my failures - I think failure is foremost something for a child to learn positively from.

I'm not suggesting that this is the 'right' way to parent and that every parent should have to follow the same formula, but I don't agree that pushing your child is at all necessary.

Last edited:

dayvo1

i did hard subjects like maths & eng adv, physics, chem, biology and
economics...thinkin that my uai might be higher than my HSC marks but i sucked n only got around 80 for my sciences (78,80,82) and around 75 for the rest (77,75,72)...my uai was only 72 so i was pissed off that i didnt do standard math and english.....anyway parents were fine but my grandad was like.....what?....72?......were u too confident or somfin?......i dont understand??.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
elisabeth said:
Yeah PaleReflection, that was my situation too and I agree. But then again, may as well learn to drive myself since they're not going to be holding my hand through uni.
:uhhuh:

A good work ethic, as well as the capacity for self motivation are really essential for success in university study simply because no one there is going to spoon feed you and you are expected to be capable of independant learning. The HSC is great practice.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Dragon Fanatic said:
Why did you edit your post mate,
I'm saying that generally speaking Asians don't learn social skills because they are restricted to a purely scholarly life by their over demanding parents.

Of course you can have both, but if you don't learn one or the other, your screwed.
I'm generally saying you suck. I had time for School, HSC, Charity Work, Church, Extra Church Activity (Teaching 8yrd kids in youth group), Shopping, Friends, Boyfriend etc. (this list is endless). You sit on your computer, making stupid generalisations.

Nice social skills there, par'dner.

Sarah_Lou

hsc ova
HSC
my parents were great during the hsc. they never pressured me, but gently nudged me in the right direction at times when i was getting sidetracked. they were very very supportive, and i dont think i would have done half as well without them (95.10).
my mum cried when i told her my uai, she said she was more stressed than me during the hsc!
it was definately a joint effort.

ibelong2me

HSC
holy father

I checked my UAI on Saturday morning and I was so fkn stirred.
My HSC marks, all low-to mid band 4's but the stupid Business Services, the VET course dragged my UAI so much. I got 58.8. I regret doing that stupid VET shit so much.

People I need your help!
Do you guys reckon I can get into a course of UAI cut-off 60 in 2005?

How about UAI cut-off of 65.00 or 68.00? They are all UWS course by the way. lol/

More importantly my school was apparently 'disadvantaged' and I have that EAS
thing for 'disadvantaged school'(not sure what it is exactly called).

With the help of the access scheme that I possess, you guys reckon I can get into any of the course? or perhaps even the 68.00 one?

Please help me!

spillargroove

HSC
Originally Posted by Lundy
To whoever said 'parents should push their child', I disagree. It adds a ton of extra stress that a child doing their HSC simply doesn't need.

If you needed to be pushed by your parents to work hard, then maybe you really weren't mature enough to be undertaking the HSC this year. I come from a very laid back family, my parents are very supportive but they have never tried to push me. The 'always try your best, and we'll be proud of you regardless' mentality might be cliche, but it's what I've grown up with, and I was an above average student all through my schooling, regularly topping classes and winning various academic awards. The thing is, I was perceptive enough to understand I couldn't by any means skate through the HSC if I wanted a high UAI and entrance to university. So I worked hard. For myself, not my parents. I needed an 86, I got a 93.65. If my parents had pushed harder would I have gotten a higher UAI? sure, maybe. But I was extremely proud of my effort, because it was entirely my own.

Your parents won't be there your whole life to be standing behind you, pushing you to get things done. You need to learn to stand on your own two feet and show some initiative. If you want something badly enough, you can achieve it on your own merits.

And lastly, there's much more to life than just grades. I hope all your parents understand this.
I really congratulate you for achieving a high UAI. This is something I failed/ did not really sink in my mind. But I will definitely keep this in mind for next year.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ibelong2me said:
I checked my UAI on Saturday morning and I was so fkn stirred.
My HSC marks, all low-to mid band 4's but the stupid Business Services, the VET course dragged my UAI so much. I got 58.8. I regret doing that stupid VET shit so much.

People I need your help!
Do you guys reckon I can get into a course of UAI cut-off 60 in 2005?

How about UAI cut-off of 65.00 or 68.00? They are all UWS course by the way. lol/

More importantly my school was apparently 'disadvantaged' and I have that EAS
thing for 'disadvantaged school'(not sure what it is exactly called).

With the help of the access scheme that I possess, you guys reckon I can get into any of the course? or perhaps even the 68.00 one?

Please help me!
isnt eAS 5 extra uai points? get into the 60 course then get decent results and then transfer. uws apparently allows you to transfer into even law with a credit avg

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
People should do their HSC for themselves. Not for their parents.

I know lots of kids that were pressured by their parents. And not only Asian families, so no one can generalise. Pressure to do well in the HSC happens in all cultures.

Someone was saying before about parents lying about wat their children got. Which is so absolutely true! I know this one girl who got 89 and her and her family told people she got something different. The stupid girl didnt keep her stories straight and ended up telling me on different accounts that she got 90.5, 92, and 91.

Parents should push their children. Not pressure them, but push them. make sure they aren't out partying every night. u know ur own abilities, so sometimes u gotta grow up and realise wat u gotta do.

i did my hsc last year, and my goal was to beat my brother, so i put pressure on myself lol i got 96.75 and my father tells everyone how disappointed he is in me. not because i got 96.75 but because im not doing law at mq. instead im doing teaching and he reckons i'm wasting my life.

but as it's been said before, it's your life, and u can do whatever the fuck you want. as long as ur happy :)

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
grk_styl said:
i did my hsc last year, and my goal was to beat my brother

lol that was my goal, but to beat my sister, who did the HSC 3 years ago, lol and her UAI was 30-something. lol i safely beat her. in fact, i more than doubled her uai. HAHAHAH. but im still bitterly disappointed in myself. :( i didnt wanna go to UWS. but thats all my UAI will allow.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
haha, yeah an added incentive for me was to beat my sister, which I did by a good 5 points.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
spillargroove said:
I really congratulate you for achieving a high UAI. This is something I failed/ did not really sink in my mind. But I will definitely keep this in mind for next year.
I did the HSC two years ago so the number that was my UAI is really worthless now. No one cares what you got 1 year down the track.

You might have failed to achieve your best this year but it's probably best to think of it as a lesson learned, i.e. that you can't just skate through life and expect success to be handed to you. Good luck with whatever you plan to do next year.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
im hoping to be the child in my family with the highest uai. I think its possible. i mean, look at my competition, my little bro doing teh hsc this year, DaddyK. lol him getting a high uai? please.

Danoz The Great

HSC
lol!

I don't know if I'll be the smartest or not. My bro (starting year 11 next year) has no hope. My sister (in year 6) might give me a run for my money though...she acts dumb but is actually very bright.

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
HSC Mark reactions -

Dad:
Wow! These are really good! I'm so proud of you. These are good marks, right?
Mum: You could of done better in French. (Proceeded to walk away and continue with her day without saying another word to me about it for the next 3 days)

UAI Reactions (Whilst I was bawling.) -

Dad: You did the best you could do. 78.4 is still good!
("Dad, it's 10 points below the psychology cut-off.")
You'll just have to achieve your dreams another way.. You know, I think you'd make a fantastic teacher or nurse?
Mum: Oh, is that it. (Walks away again.)

:rolleyes:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
you can transfer to psych pretty easily.
youd also make a fantastic hawtslut

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)