Parents Reaction to UAI marks (2 Viewers)

Gummy_bear

HSC
Rekkusu said:
Anyhows, for those who were unfortunate and couldn't get the UAI they wanted, just keep in mind, you might be a late bloomer, in other words, most people might own you right now in the UAI, but by the time its in University (and mind you, uni is much much harder than HSC) you'll most likely surpass the people who did achieve high UAIs. Though lol you'll be interested in this statistic, up to 35% of people who got into Medicine dropped right out of that course after half a year and changed to courses like B science or even forensic science, probably because most have spent alot of time into their HSC that they've somehow given into the thought that they'll own uni as well, when in fact its the opposite, so sometimes over-confidence gets the better of those people. ^^ Anyhow, I do not mean to offend any high uai achievers, everyone is different, but in the end, as long as you get into the course you wanted or dreamed of, that's already really good!
and of course, it helps if you actually like what you are studying :)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
stazi said:
b--? f--?
you mean bullshit? fuck?

MarzBarz, however, I will say that kids do need relaxation etc and some leniancy.
Also, not all kids are the same. My parents pushed me through years 5-11. Like crazy. I got crappy marks (read: constantly ranked in the bottom 30/180+ students).
In year 12, strangely enough, my dad (who was the parent doing the pushing) let off. He had his own worries, a new wife, etc. The deputy principal who was out for the kill on me in years 10 and 11 for truancy also seemingly stopped hunting for me.
I started studying on my own accord (although not that much still). That worked well for me.

At uni my parents don't care AT ALL. I do my own thing. Go out heaps getting trashed, etc. However, I've come first in 2 or 3 out of 8 subjects. Have gotten exceptionally high marks. Am studying heaps. Etc.
Yeah, that's like me. My parents were pushing me like mad until year 12. I think they almost gave up, then strangely enough, I came to realise that there was a reason to all their pushing, and started studying hard without them saying a word.

There's always going to be a point where everything clicks, and you no longer need nagging. :rolleyes:

7th Sign

HSC
i think its good my parents went crazy at me for getting a uai in the 60s...I worked but obviously not hard enough...

I got mates who got uais in the 30s and their like oh mummy and daddy are paying 20 grand for business school next year :rolleyes: so i can get into uni after 1 year :rolleyes:

HSC
N/A
parents are hilarious, im learnin from my parents. Use a belt to scare kids to do well, it bloody well works. Also makin openin threat of police comin to ake u away when u were younger works well in discplinin u as well. go asian parents

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
prinze__martin said:
parents are hilarious, im learnin from my parents. Use a belt to scare kids to do well, it bloody well works. Also makin openin threat of police comin to ake u away when u were younger works well in discplinin u as well. go asian parents
ROFL!!!

My parents, well, grandparents used exactly the same thing. After awhile I realised no policemen ever came, so I stopped believing them.

Go Asian parents. :p

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
ROFL!!!

My parents, well, grandparents used exactly the same thing. After awhile I realised no policemen ever came, so I stopped believing them.

Go Asian parents. :p
holy crap my dad use to do that with my younger brother too lol

HSC
N/A
f== smart ass parents, always they were bunch of dumb asses, but now realise ther f-- smart human beings

7th Sign

HSC
prinze__martin said:
Also makin openin threat of police comin to ake u away when u were younger works well in discplinin u as well.

hahahaha true my parents used that call many times when I was a little kid.

I rember waiting out the front because the police were apparently comming lol I did some bad shit...I was liek 5 hahahahah

good shit...

princess_ariel

HSC
my parents (asian) were the ones who kept telling me to relax and take things easy, I was the one who kept on pushing myself.

when my uai of 99.45 came out, I was the one a bit disappointed, my parents were the ones who kept on reminding me what a wonderful achievement it is.

go asian parents!

somecooldude

HSC
reprise said:
Any relatives who presumed to bitch about my daughter's "low" marks would be told "fuck you and the horse you road in on", just as any relatives who presumed to gloat about my son's "high" marks five years ago were told the same.

It's none of their fucking business unless they were there suffering the ups and downs and the moods swings and the crises of faith. You are not trophies, and those people who didn't walk the walk with you - whether that's your parents, your teachers, or your friends - have no entitlement to an opinion.
it's different when you are part of an asian family... your relatives, they are like pretty much your immediate family. to say the uai is none of their business, even if they didn't suffer the "ups and downs" is almost an insult towards them.

thats just how it is. but i've come to live with it..

btw, my uai was 91.15.

Kutar Maggi

They call me nigga man
HSC
reprise said:
I said it to them directly on Graduation Day, but it's worth saying again anyway.

To every single teacher who spent the extra hours helping my daughter catch up on the work she'd missed, revising the work which didn't sink into her pregnancy brain, and making yourselves available to her at any and every time of the day when she had an available moment to focus on school work : the foundations of whatever success my daughter ultimately achieves in life were laid by your passion for and commitment to her education. You were mentors in every sense of the word, and what a different world this would be if all students were fortunate enough to encounter teachers such as yourselves.

listen lady. We get that u dont care that your daughter didnt do to well, how bout letting the actual students taht done the HSC share in forum? sheesh, talk about living vicariously through other students :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No offence Ma'am. :cool:

kido525

HSC
oh umm who remembers the old skewl way asian parents use to teach kids as a punishment like they tell u to stand in the corner and cross ur arms or someshit and stay their the whole time , or remeber the good old chicken duster thing which u buy at asian stores and it has chiken feathers and a long bamboo stick lol back in the old days it was harsh and dull the punishment azn parents do to keep children motivated and have their minds directed to education rofl

nwatts

HSC
I don't come from an asian family, but the opinions of my extended relatives are very important to me. While they didn't live with me day-to-day, they recieved semi-regular updates, and many of them genuinely cared for my wellbeing. They, as they should have been, were far more concerned with how I felt about my results than the results themselves.

And to backtrack - I agree that a student needs to be pushed to achieve their potential. However every student is unique, and responds to pressure differently. As well as that, HSC marks are not the foremost of many students, and therefore shouldn't be their highest priority. In the case of reprise's daughter, it's obvious that she's had a lot on in her life over the HSC period that far outweighs the importance of the HSC. I can tell how proud reprise is that his daughter has pulled through her personal struggles to complete her HSC and get a UAI.

If you can't see that everyone's situation is different you need to open your eyes. (Directed at trolls who are flaming reprise).

somecooldude

HSC
nwatts said:
I don't come from an asian family, but the opinions of my extended relatives are very important to me. While they didn't live with me day-to-day, they recieved semi-regular updates, and many of them genuinely cared for my wellbeing. They, as they should have been, were far more concerned with how I felt about my results than the results themselves.
oh, i guess there are exceptions in other families besides asian. but its very common in asian families for this to be the case. im just glad my relatives like my uai.. all of my cousins who did the hsc in previous years got 70s-80s.

i was just pointing out to reprise that if one of my relatives asked my uai it would be like totally unnacceptable to bad mouth them and tell them its none of their business. cause like i said, they are almost like immediate family to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)