Parents Reaction to UAI marks (1 Viewer)

Danoz The Great

HSC
Jaydels said:
My mum was in tears (of joy)...........as was I
Its her b'day today too, keeps telling me its the best b'day present ever
(I got 94.1)
That is so sweet!!!! :)

$a®e

HSC
MarzBarz i think is being really harsh...some ppl try really hard and unfortunately the best they can do is a 60-70UAI...i think its rather presumptutious to say that:

"When I see some people say that they are proud of a uai in 70's, I'm shocked. It is quite apparent that anyone who got in that range did not do any work in year 12 and didn't take their studies seriously"

when everyones situation, intelligence and ability to perform is different to the next person..i think its wonderful that people are proud for getting a uai in that range, not everyone aspires to the same level of achievement.

HSC
He's also full of shit, and with this claim I make his obvious retort will be "oh well im not a dumbass like all of you I need barely any study too own"; this is dangerous to go around and prance saying 95 UAI is obtained to what he did because it isn't. Some 06 and 07'ers and randoms will lurk this forum wondering how too get such a nice UAI and consider his advice when they shouldn't.

Everyone has the potential too get over 90 UAI, it depends how much work YOU do. Your UAI is a little ticket too uni, nothing more, not even a measure of your intelligence. But your dedication while you where 16-17-18.

Your UAI rank and what you consider if its excellent or poor is totally subjective, if you need 99.60 to get into LAW and you get 99.55 then you will consider your UAI to be shit. If you need 60 UAI to get into nursing and you get 61.25 UAI then you're over the moon with joy.

Danoz The Great

HSC
MarsBarz said:
Well that's because you're a bad parent. You fail to understand that kids need to be pushed and they need to be disciplined. This is reflected in your child's dismal failure. Parents push their kids to succeed because they want the best future for them.
When I see some people say that they are proud of a uai in 70's, I'm shocked. It is quite apparent that anyone who got in that range did not do any work in year 12 and didn't take their studies seriously. Hell, I barely worked until STUVAC and managed to get 95+. And I'm still not very happy, because I realise that I didn't give the HSC my best shot. I am regretful. But I'm glad that my parents punished me when I'd get low marks. Otherwise I might have become a homeless dropkick like your child.
Fuck you, you're eighteen-or-so and you're telling somebody who is most probably more than twice your age that they are a bad parent. Where's the sense in that.

I got 71.50, and, like I have said to you before, I had plenty of difficult circumstances occur during the last 18 months, and having this happen I am truly happy with my UAI because I didn't take the easy way out of my problems *edit: by quitting school*.
Reprise's daughter has completed her HSC, despite her own difficult circumstances, and I give her my utmost congratulations.

The world isn't all 'black and white', you cannot live a perfect life, and there will be setbacks along the way. Just because you are insecure about yourself and/or see everything as having to be perfect or 'black and white', does not mean you can bring others down.

Get over yourself, and if you don't have anything nice to say, then just don't say anything back!

stazi said:
if you are so leniant with your children, I see that as a problem. They develop the 'it's ok to fail' mentality. If they truly give it their 100% (and I mean studied their arse off throughout the whole year), then that's acceptable (however if they get a 70UAI with that, they are likely to have some sort of learning disability).
My folks got lenient, but saw that I was determined to see the other side of the HSC out. I did work hard, I did give it my 100%, and I got 71.50. I don't have any sort of learning disability.

Last edited:

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
elisabeth said:
But this thread is about how our parents reacted, not our own reactions. (I'm over the moon with my results, in case you thought otherwise.) All I'm saying is that yeah, I -do- somewhat envy my friends, who have parents who are fucking estatic for them and show it.
I know what you mean, my parents were sort of like that's nice, like I bought a new top or something. Oh well, at least they aren't those ultra pushy parents. A little off topic but what course are you going to do elisbeth?

And Casmira, that isn't necessarily true. While I got 99.05 and that is a little off what I needed for UNSW, and I am really dissapointed, it doesn't mean i'm all my UAI is shit, cause that is just well stupid.

Danoz The Great

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Why is it that people assume those with high uai's had no difficult circumstances...
I don't assume that at all.

edit: If people that had difficult circumstances gained a high UAI, good on them. A lot of my study time was lost, most especially during and after the trials.

Last edited:

hApPy1

HSC
hahaha-i dont know whether to be laughing or crying right now

uai: 95.00
Dads reaction: why didnt u get 98.something...?

yeah im happy with what i did and i hate that he only said that coz his friends daughter got like 99.who cares...but yeah im proud of what i acheived :)

Danoz The Great

HSC
If 80 gets someone into the course they wanted, that doesn't make it shit does it?
I have 70UAI and I will most certainly get into 3/4 courses, hopefully 4 with EAS. :)

Gummy_bear

HSC
Marzbarz, it is not intelligent to think that people with a low UAI are not as smart as others.
Some people are better at manual learning, such as my brother, who sucks at essays, but it brilliant with mechanical stuff, if his school had offered mechanics, he would ace it, but he is stuck with other courses. He is also a brilliant cook, so he took food tech and hospotality.

I got quite a low UAI, but i went well in my subjects, getting band 5s in 2 subjects and band 4s in 3. I deem that as good, considering that i studied as hard as i could and had to go through alot, with having OCD, and tourettes syndrome, i even got offered extra help, such as extra time, but i decided to turn it down because i wanted to stay true to myself, not that i condone others who did take that help. (i havnt told anyone on BOS that before, but i think its necissary)
and then, i had to change medications half way through the year because the old stuff wasnt helping me at all, i was zoning out and stuff.
Anyway, just think about the various situations people have been in and what made them get that UAI, and of course, UAI is a rank, with people so smart this year, the average people look less intelligent.

oh, and to stay on topic, my brother came home from the movies with a friend today and gave me a chocolate bar and said 'congrats and condolences' hes sweet.

kow_dude

HSC
natstar said:
You UAI is meaningless once you get into university, unless you plan to transfer and the UAI is taken into consideration. After that, no one will care.
I second that. No one talks about "UAI' once you get into your desired course/uni.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
kow_dude said:
I second that. No one talks about "UAI' once you get into your desired course/uni.
that's bullshit. i always go to clubs and pick up chicks with my uai.
'hey baby. what's your uai? mine is quite large *wink*'

stazi

Nightman
HSC
natstar said:
I met a guy that tried to chat me up with the line "I go to Sydney Uni"
it was probably me. no, wait. you're too ugly.

smithica

HSC
here's my parents reaction....

MUM:

"well **.** UAI, we weren't expecting that....may be it isn't right...no it cant be right we should contest it...see if it's wrong.... we were expecting a 60 or 65 maybe.... i just don't what to say....."

ME:

(and you were thing it was a low UAI)

" yes mum, i'm going to say 'hey board of studies, why give me an 82.45, when to everyone around me i'm only good enough to get in the 60's!!!!!'" yes lets do it right away...."

so as you can see....MY PARENTS THINK IM SO MUCH LESS OF ME THEN I THOUGHT!!!

(not that the 60's are bad because i was hoping and would have been pleased with something there as well )

so at the end of the day... i think they are happy.... a little confused.... but happy

that is unless my UAI's is really wrong......

MasterP

Come to Daddy
HSC
smithica said:
so as you can see....MY PARENTS THINK IM SO MUCH LESS OF ME THEN I THOUGHT!!!
Hahaha.... When I told my parents I wanted to get above 90 UAI about year ago, they shook their heads and said "You couldn't get that!" and gave me a hope-dashing pseudolecture. They're fucking reverse-stereotypes, I swear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)