Parents Reaction to UAI marks (1 Viewer)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
its a killer

if u got the UAI 99 and the cut off for the uni course tat u want is .35, .45 or .5 higher

sNiPeR_24

Fo' shizzle
HSC
Yeah that's entirely understandable since they don't get the course they want. But if their parents are practically disowning them despite beating many, many, many thousands of other students in the state because they didn't get into one of the top-cutoff courses in the country, it's just overreacting and stupid.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
fundamentally said:
You are at Kings, arent you ?
Do you know David Sham?

Yes i do know David sham. A good friend he is.

mysterious_grl8

HSC
when i first told my parents abt my UAI (which was 81.75) they were kinda disappointed...esp coz a few yrs bac my bro got 96.89...but after a few days they realized that not everyone is academically inclined..besides...ill get into the course i wanted and i suppose thats all that matters.

Last edited:

Alimoe_KG

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
how do all the comm ppl get jobs then?
its one of those things i wonder about.. its goin to be disappointing if there hav too many in the future :(
lol it's not like crucial for a comm person to also have a law degree
:p

It doesnt even have to be law, could be comm/arts. Obviously, asides from personal qualities etc, a double degree indicates you have a more rounded and broader education.

But a commerce degree by itself is still kikass. Law or some other degree is just the cherry or icing on top :)

What are you doing at Uni btw Mr AND1?

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
You should all learn to spot a troll when you see one.
Regardless of whether he or she is a troll or not, they're going to have a hell of a fun time in the workplace :) The vast majority of jobs these days are people-based in some way, even if just the act of working alongside people.

Best employees: Approachable, knows their stuff, humble, good-natured, enthusiastic, sympathetic. All of which results in an employee customers/clients feel they can connect with.

Worst employees: Unapproachable, may or may not know their stuff, arrogant, bad-manned/ill-natured, doing the job because of the elitism/money, and non-sympathetic, or inability to be empathetic. All of which results in an employee customers/clients feel they can't connect with.

fundamentally, I don't think I'm half as smart as you. I also don't think I have as strong a drive to achieve as you seem to have. But damn, at least I make an effort to get along with people.

troll away if you want to, but most of us have said our pieces already and actually listening to what we're saying couldn't really hurt, just for two minutes. As for the rest of us - let's not give this person another opportunity to piss us off, ok? :)

HSC
N/A
I'm not saying that mean people don't get jobs, I'm just trying to point out that if you actually want to be really successful in the long-term, you'd better be a people-person, or learn some people-person skills. Trying to do the whole morality thing and appeal to the "do the best job you can!" kinda of thing... :(

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
one thing i hope asian parents realise is that once you get into university (in whatever course desired), the university admissions index means nothing. not a thing.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
fundamentally said:
Dont be naive... They already have prospectuses from Harvard and Cambridge for the LLM.
me, naive? pray tell, what use to you, beyond admission into med, is your UAI of 99.90 (as you constantly remind us), besides some inane self-satisfaction as to your greatness during high school? in uni, a first-year undergraduate is still a newbie, regardless of UAI.

further, unless you want the cocksucking glory of BCL (Oxon) attached to your name and/or want to enter academia/judiciary, postgraduate studies at those universities will not greatly enhance one's career goals.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
fundamentally said:
When his sister did the HSC, his folks were on the phone to us about how Olivia got a UAI of 100. They spent the next several months talking about it. Her mother even hinted to my folks that they must be sad that I only got 99.9 ! My folks were very amused.

However, they have been strangely silent about David's UAI. Do you know how he did ? I hope he did fine, otherwise his mom will hound him for the rest of his life.

David got 99. rofl yes i know how his parents are, but im sure they'll be at least happy with 99. Olivia went to PLC didnt she?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
fundamentally said:
None at all.
But the point I was making is that most high achievers are focussed on doing well at university. The UAI is discarded, but the drive is not.
very true :)

however, having said that, that is not to say those who do not achieve a high UAI is incapable of good results at university. likewise, it is not to say that all those who achieved high UAIs continue to
fundamentally said:
BTW, is the BCL really that highly regarded?
i am not so sure of that myself. i'm happy to continue postgraduate studies in law, but most likely not immediately after undergraduate. want to make some money first. :p

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
fundamentally said:
They wanted him to do law at Sydney.
They might not be too happy with that mark.
Hmmm he told me a few days ago he was going to do BCommerce @ USyd combined with aeronautical. He was originally wanting to do just aeronautical, but his parents told him to add commerce (which he seems happy with)

btw, my bad, he got 98.00.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)