Passing P's Test first time (1 Viewer)

HSC
well, i managed to pass next go - without flaw. perhaps the previous tester was just having a bad day :)

HSC
N/A
davosss said:
Hey guys, I've got a test for my p's coming up in a couple of weeks and I was just wondering if anybody has any good stories or tips about getting their P's first time?

Cheers
I was totally freaked out a few minutes before my test started. I guess my best advice is to have faith in yourself and keep calm. Most mistakes you do will just be minor stressful ones, if that.

Other advice is to have a driving lesson about an hour beforehand. :)

HSC
this probably sounds like a stupid question, but will they fail you for going consistently like 10km/h or so under the limit? because i usually have a bit of a minor speeding problem (like, just a couple k's over) and i'm paranoid that it'll fail me.

also .. if i fuck up my reverse parking but do pretty much everything else okay (like hillstart, 3 point turn etc 'cause i'm fine with them) -- i won't pass, right?

HSC
katietheskatie said:
this probably sounds like a stupid question, but will they fail you for going consistently like 10km/h or so under the limit? because i usually have a bit of a minor speeding problem (like, just a couple k's over) and i'm paranoid that it'll fail me.

also .. if i fuck up my reverse parking but do pretty much everything else okay (like hillstart, 3 point turn etc 'cause i'm fine with them) -- i won't pass, right?
they fail you for going too slowly, as well as going over the limit. Im not sure how slow is too slow though, but ur prolly best to stay 5 under rather than 10.

and 4 ur reverse parks, it depends on who u have testing you. some instructors will let u have heaps of goes and also will let u bump the curb (like my friend did and she still passed) and others wont.

when are u going dude?

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
katietheskatie said:
because i usually have a bit of a minor speeding problem (like, just a couple k's over) and i'm paranoid that it'll fail me.
im the same and apparently theyre real cunts about it.

That said, I went to book my test online and I keep getting the "No times for 28 days from the specified date"

Is is really that packed?

Are there no times for a WHOLE MONTH at either ryde or chatswood?

Pace_T

HSC
yes, they book in blocks of about 4 weeks, depending on the rta. they are really busy after new years, but it slows down after february or so
book in the for the next block, early as possible. and yes, as for 'actually being that packed' - its true, they totally book out their tests
you could probably go in just to ask if anybody cancelled their booking but i doubt you'll have much luck there
u can apply at a different rta, they might have a lot shorter waiting queues.

as with reverse parallel parking dont be a fuckwit and think bumping the curb still gives you a good chance of passing. its very rare for them to pass you if u cant reverse parallel park. dont let the rear tire hit the gutter part of the road. try to get it right at the part where the actual road ends and the gutter starts. if you aim for this spot, its easy to avoid hitting the curb and you won't get an instant fail for parking too far from the curb (its i nthe assessment sheet they give u when u do ur test. its a 'fail item')
with this, they allow you 5 moves
by that i mean, if u begin to reverse and you realise you are about to hit the curb, you can straighten it out a bit(by going forward), and that counts as a 2nd move
then you continue to reverse back out (hopefully not hitting the curb this time) and thats your 3rd move
then once you straighten it up by going to forward (for the normal reverse parallel parking procedure) that's your 4th move
so you are allowed to correct it with still getting full marks for reverse parallel park!!
basically, every time you put it in either first/drive or reverse, it counts as a move (assuming the car moves)

as with speeding, most allow u to go 2km/h over the speed limit. but any more will get you a fail, unless you have a nice examiner
they allow you to go 5km/h slower, but any more and most will probably take note of it. remember, they don't penalise you for slightly over analysing your speedometer

VanCarBus

~--> Quincy <--~
HSC
i failed 7 times bfore getting my P's, now im on greens and will get full license in 3 months = ) bwahahahha

Olsen

Hates cold mornings..
HSC
Try booking the test online by logging in between 9-10am each day - u have to check everyday and they usually put out the time sheet between those times. By midday any spots will have been taken.

bassqueen16

HSC
congratulations! i have 43 hours so im really psyched to get the rest and finally get my p's.. but i think ill prob go over 50, do examiners like to see a pretty full logbook?

HSC
they don't even really look at it .. they just flick through it and add up the hours, i don't think they really care.

Jiga

they fail you for going too slowly, as well as going over the limit. Im not sure how slow is too slow though, but ur prolly best to stay 5 under rather than 10.
It depends really, I barely went above 50km/h in my test even in 60 zones because of either the road being short and needing to brake early or because theirs a corner or because of the 3 seconds gap rule etc etc etc. The main thing is to not just sit on say 30km/h in a 50 zone, just accelerate consistantly but slowly.... thats what I did at least.

they don't even really look at it .. they just flick through it and add up the hours, i don't think they really care.
Yeah, I had a guy who my friends said was a hard arse and even when I heard the way he spoke (Like really professional and monotone) I thought he would do everything by the book, but even he only flicked through it.... even though Im prity sure they are MEANT to ask questions about it but they dont!

As for the test, I wouldnt worry about it, when I did my test I fucked up twice big time, yet I still passed first go (on auto albiet). The main thing is to read the DART book and know what are fail items and dont stuff with them, as long as you do that you WILL pass because half the test is just driving around and doing basic stuff like roundabouts and stop signs!

Here are my notes btw seeings Im about to rid myself of them, not sure if they are anygood, they are a combination of what I learnt in lessons, DART book and my own general knowledge......

General Information

·Stay at stop signs for at least 4 seconds
·Blinkers for 5 seconds and engage before doing anything
·Remember start (Clockwise) and stop (Anti-Clockwise) procedure
·Always check left when moving to the left no matter what
·Always look for speed signs and never go over the limit at all
·Approach any obstruction with foot on the brake and rolling or even slowing down
·Slow down to granny pace around turns
·Stop behind vehicles so that the instructor can still see the car in fronts tyres
·Indicate very early as opposed to late
·Go over speed humps at 25km/h and adhere to the speeds when going around corners
·Go 40km/h when roadwork ahead
·Brake earlier than lights and roll to within 1-2m
·When braking check rear view mirror to ensure no car will hit you from behind
·Stay in the middle of lane, even on large roads and don’t turn to far away from parked cars
·Don’t be sudden with turns, and ensure changing lanes early when seeing a parked car ahead
·Keep a 3 second (Around 30 metre) gap between cars
·Watch for school zones, 40km/h
·Be careful at stop and give way signs, a safe gap is one where the other car doesn’t have to slow down
·Always glance at side streets when going through intersections
Reverse Parking

·Indicate and slowly get parallel to other car, including checking rear vision mirror for cars
·Look in right mirror and check over right shoulder, then look backwards
·Reverse back until your cars back window has the other cars back in the centre of it and then check right again and start to turn whilst slowly moving (Two hands on wheel)
·As soon as the very top of the kerb is visible in your cars front side window, begin to change turning direction (Only in some cars)
·Once parallel to the kerb, move forward till there is around a 1m gap between your car and the one in front
·Indicate right, reverse while looking backwards and then leave the kerb whilst staying to the left and not going onto the wrong side of the road

3 Point Turn

·Look over shoulder left, stop next to the kerb
·Check straight for cars, look in right mirror and then over shoulder then check straight quickly and go
·Turn until near the other kerb and begin to turn in other direction in preperation for next movement whilst still moving forward
·Check both sides and finish again by preparing car for next movement and possibly indicating again to the right this time
·Check straight and back and then leave

Roundabouts

·Keep left
·Brake as if you are going to stop so that if a car does come, you wont stop suddenly
·Go through only rolling whilst shadowing your breaks, as you exit then being to accelerate
·Indicate even when going straight on roundabouts that require it

Right or Left Turns

·When going right stay straight and turn slowly once clear
·When going left, first turn getting the car ready for the next movement, then re-position hands on the steering wheel if required, look for cars to the right, and proceed staying to the left

GOOD LUCK

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
and make sure you have the latest version of DART...when i went to the RTA the testing officer said the DART i had was over 6 months old, but i passed anyway.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
what i was told when i went for mine -

cant break the speed limit, but can do 15km/h under the speed limit (though not advisable)

that may of changed (i did my Ps oct/nov 2004)

CieL

HSC
bassqueen16 said:
do examiners like to see a pretty full logbook?
all the man did to my logbook was flip through the pages chunk by chunk and check that there's a signature on the pages he checks.. then takes a photocopy of the inside cover

mine didnt even try add up the hours

but i guess you could always estimate *shrugs*

bassqueen16

HSC
CieL said:
all the man did to my logbook was flip through the pages chunk by chunk and check that there's a signature on the pages he checks.. then takes a photocopy of the inside cover

mine didnt even try add up the hours

but i guess you could always estimate *shrugs*
woah serious? i hope i get someone like that... so they pretty much dont care woot for me then

bassqueen16

HSC
well i wanna book my test cos i have 44 hours but i heard that alot of the RTA's are booked out for like 3 months! Wat do u recommend i do?

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
find somewhere thats not? My local RTA is booked out for like the next 9 and a half years, so i did it at liverpool RTA which is about half an hour away from me. Go to rta.nsw.gov.au and search for the next available time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)