past HSC: did you flunk trials but managed to do well? (2 Viewers)

funk1234

HSC
Re: Trials fail = goodbye band 6?

trials are shit man. HSC will be better because you have studied in depth the stuff you failed on in the trials.

cactuar

HSC

wtf do you mean you need "6 pages minimum"?? you are supposed to use all of the space provided so if they give you 4 pages, thats what you're supposed to use. theres no problem at all in going over but you are probably just writing irrelevant information by then that will lose you marks and waste time.

thats what my teachers always told me and i go to some fancy "AcAdEmIcAlLy SeLeCtIvE" school

Uncle

Banned
HSC

I have failed epically on all my trials so far, and I somehow don't think it's gonna pick up anytime soon. Not once have I used a second booklet and I have rarely even filled up one booklet. This is pretty bad considering I do Advanced English, Business Studies and Modern History.

Now that I've stuffed up my trials and hence my rank, can I kiss any Band 6 aspirations goodbye? Is there no chance that I'll get 90 for my ATAR? If there is any hope (which I doubt) how much would I have to get in the HSC exams?
oh there you go you do business studies.
you are going to have to pull your weight even harder.
seems the mathematicians and scientists do better.
greater efficiency in getting band 5 and 6 like me.

Advanced English scales high, but NOT Business nor Modern.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Re: HSC success stories

60% or less in maths trials back then.
got band 5 or 6 in all 2 unit subjects for hsc.
i guess everyone gets better with practice.

this thing you call "success". It does not exist in the HSC.
this guy has negative reputation for a reason.

Last edited:

Uncle

Banned
HSC
yes.

60% or less in maths trials.

endup with band 5 or 6 in all 2 unit subjects.

just keep practising on different problems and address your weaknesses you found in your trials.

or maybe that shitty maths in focus textbook wasnt a good book.

davey.tran

HSC

Actually, whilst marking the HSC advanced papers, my teacher has overheard another beside him placing a booklet into his c-range pile because it was "only 4 pages long"... Without even reading it.

6-8 pages is advised folks. You don't want to piss the old english teachers off.

daniieee

HSC

wtf do you mean you need "6 pages minimum"?? you are supposed to use all of the space provided so if they give you 4 pages, thats what you're supposed to use. theres no problem at all in going over but you are probably just writing irrelevant information by then that will lose you marks and waste time.

thats what my teachers always told me and i go to some fancy "AcAdEmIcAlLy SeLeCtIvE" school
You don't need 6 pages minimum. I just don't see how you can get all the content down needed for a good mark if you're going to write less than that. Unless of course your writing's especially small.

I go to an "AcAdEmIcAlLy SeLeCtIvE" school as well.

oh there you go you do business studies.
you are going to have to pull your weight even harder.
I'm going to have to disagree. Considering the state average for business is around a band 3, so long as you do well (band 5-6) you're going to scale pretty high. Also depends on your school performance. This scaling hype is a pain.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

you don't need 6 pages minimum. I just don't see how you can get all the content down needed for a good mark if you're going to write less than that. Unless of course your writing's especially small.

I go to an "academically selective" school as well.
+1

HSC

60% or less in maths trials back then.
got band 5 or 6 in all 2 unit subjects for hsc.
i guess everyone gets better with practice.

this guy has negative reputation for a reason.
agreed with both points

duckcowhybrid

HSC

I'm gonna love this bias against short lengths.I have fucking massive handwriting, so a 1k word essay for me is easily over 6 pages.

Finx

HSC
I did pretty badly in my english trial but still managed to pull an 89 for english (which would be terrible for some, but very good for others) and a 95+ UAI, which was a bit suprising.
Was it surprising because you expected your UAI to be higher or lower?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Was it surprising because you expected your UAI to be higher or lower?

Lower, taking into account my relatively shitty english marks and subject scaling (i did all humanities/creative arts) i was expecting high 80's at best.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
I flunked trial so severely for math. Not just in terms of mark, but ranking also. I guess I was overly confident and wasn't prepared for Q9 & 10. In HSC, I fluked Q10, I know i did because after the trial I tried to do Q10 for every past hsc paper and couldn't do any, and somehow in the real hsc it went smoothly. Ended up with a mid band 6

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC

Depends how severely you effed it. I effed 2u trial, but I was cushioned by good ranking for other assessments, so it's easier to bounce back up during hsc.

If you've been doing well throughout but stuffed trial then maybe it's just because you were stressed or because of other non-academic reasons, so getting back up won't be impossible. But if you have been doing poorly throughout the year, then it's unwise to anticipate a sudden jump in hsc mark. In general though, external and internal mark don't differ a lot.

duckcowhybrid

HSC

is this the only thing you nerds do.
memorise the scaling of all the different subjects.

do you, namu, shuning and all those other losers on this site get together and have meetings about subject scaling??

it wouldnt surprise me.

can you people go one second without thinking about the scaling of your subjects??
It amuses me that you picked subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Economics, MX1 and Adv Eng. Why did you pick such subjects, especially since from your emotes attached you dont like some of them. What was your motive? One must assume scaling.

Uncle

Banned
HSC

You don't need 6 pages minimum. I just don't see how you can get all the content down needed for a good mark if you're going to write less than that. Unless of course your writing's especially small.

I go to an "AcAdEmIcAlLy SeLeCtIvE" school as well.

I'm going to have to disagree. Considering the state average for business is around a band 3, so long as you do well (band 5-6) you're going to scale pretty high. Also depends on your school performance. This scaling hype is a pain.
at least i didnt go to an "academically selective" school.

and you just said what i said (going to have to pull your weight even harder) how can you disagree on that?

@ OP, you had no chance from the beginning
just give up
that makes good reverse psychology lol.

daniieee

HSC

at least i didnt go to an "academically selective" school.

and you just said what i said (going to have to pull your weight even harder) how can you disagree on that?
Leave my school alone =[

It's not hard to get a band 5 for business at all. It's quite easy to grasp, but I guess the only problem is that there's a heck of a lot of content to be remembered. That aside, most of it's just common sense really. Things like how to promote a business - you market through both overt means (mainsteam media) and covert means (sponsoring a local sports team). You can always use your common sense and hope to BS your way to a good mark by adding in some terminology. My best piece of advice is: know the syllabus! If you know the syllabus, you should be able to cruise your way to a band 5 quite comfortable.

I'm sure the majority of the state isn't going to study the syllabus though. They'll do crap while you'll (hopefully) do well, which shouldn't be hard if, like I've said, you know the syllabus.

HSC

It amuses me that you picked subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Economics, MX1 and Adv Eng. Why did you pick such subjects, especially since from your emotes attached you dont like some of them. What was your motive? One must assume scaling.
i would also assume a better reputation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)