past HSC: did you flunk trials but managed to do well? (1 Viewer)

zaefr

HSC
Re: Trials fail = goodbye band 6?

fuck hsc. yea its the hardest shit u've been doing atm but its not the end of the world if u screw up.

to OP: get ur trials back, find out wat u did wrong and study ur ass off after the exams to get ur 90+ atar:headbang:

Dumbledore

HSC

Don't worry, for modern it is quality. You can get a 25/25 mark essay with ~6 pages in an exam booklet if you write well enough.

And yes, lots of people screw up trials. That's why they're called trials - it's preparation for the HSC. You may think that you have no hope now, but you're better studying your arse off right now, as you actually might have a chance. Otherwise you'll regret giving up before giving everything your best shot.

Good luck :)
whoa! is 6 pages meant to be low quantity?
i've never written that much on any essay ever!

spoonbender

HSC

Don't worry, for modern it is quality. You can get a 25/25 mark essay with ~6 pages in an exam booklet if you write well enough.

And yes, lots of people screw up trials. That's why they're called trials - it's preparation for the HSC. You may think that you have no hope now, but you're better studying your arse off right now, as you actually might have a chance. Otherwise you'll regret giving up before giving everything your best shot.

Good luck :)
And how many marks out of 25 can I expect to get for a page and a quarter? :p Thanks for that though :)

Don't worry, I was talking to my English Teacher, who is also the coordinator, a few weeks ago and she said the BOS sent her an email saying that they need to emphasise quality not quantity. For each advanced english essay, they actually recommend 6 exam booklet pages. They don't care about you being able to regurgitate each and every quote; it's about being concise and to the point in a way that allows you to answer the question. So don't worry - you may have done just that.
I wrote 3 pages for each of my modules and I wrote about one complete idea for each of them. Oh and should I have mentioned that my school's booklets are 4 pages long?

have you got your results?? how do you know you've messed up so bad?
I haven't gotten my marks back but I judging from how little I've written in my exams, I don't think it's possible for me to do well.

I do feel better about it now though.

jet

Banned
HSC

I wrote 3 pages for each of my modules and I wrote about one complete idea for each of them. Oh and should I have mentioned that my school's booklets are 4 pages long?
But is it like, .8 cm spacing, or 1.5, like the HSC booklets?

Last edited:
HSC

They don't care about you being able to regurgitate each and every quote;
Well that depends on the marker. For one of my english essays, I misquoted an unimportant word like 'the' or 'of' and i got a big red line under it and then in my comments it said I needed to quote real quotes and not paraphrase.

Now that I think about it, what a bitch...

daniieee

HSC

whoa! is 6 pages meant to be low quantity?
i've never written that much on any essay ever!
Dumbledoreeee haha I miss Harry Potter. After the HSC I might have to reread the entire series or something. In answer to your question, 6 pages isn't bad at all (assuming we're talking about the actual HSC booklets with massive line spacing and huge border spaces). It's actually very easy to write a page in those booklets. Generally I'd say once you hit 5-6 pages of quality content you're well on your way to a very good mark. Ideally though, I'd set six pages as a minimum. I wrote seven pages for a Module A essay and got 18/20 for it. The marker's comment was that I didn't analyse "the key scene" enough, which is fine because I didn't really have "a key scene" lol. I had many different scenes, not sure which the marker thought was the key one. I didn't read the question properly, stupid fool that I am.

Edit:

LOL! What a female dog indeed. I constantly make up quotes, especially from novels. I have yet to be called on it. =]

Last edited:

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC

Well that depends on the marker. For one of my english essays, I misquoted an unimportant word like 'the' or 'of' and i got a big red line under it and then in my comments it said I needed to quote real quotes and not paraphrase.

lmao wtf, i make up quotes all the time using sophisticated language that's believable , the trick is to use legible historians for the quotes, that way they have some substance to them.

daniieee

HSC

lmao wtf, i make up quotes all the time using sophisticated language that's believable , the trick is to use legible historians for the quotes, that way they have some substance to them.
There's that, and also let's hope the markers are too lazy to actually do some research to determine the integrity of the quotes. I hope no teachers are following this. =O

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC

they say 6 is the minimum for a full mark response but you'd have to completely nail the question and your response must have been pretty damn good.
I can't see how an essay can be marked based on the number of pages. People write in different lengths and sizes, the best way to determine the length of an essay is by paragraphs. Although people write longer paragraphs than others it is more accuarate than pages. Anyway, the best way to write 'enough' is to not stop writing throughout :)

daniieee

HSC

I can't see how an essay can be marked based on the number of pages. People write in different lengths and sizes, the best way to determine the length of an essay is by paragraphs. Although people write longer paragraphs than others it is more accuarate than pages. Anyway, the best way to write 'enough' is to not stop writing throughout :)
No essay's marked on the number of pages lol. If that were the case I'd write as large as humanely possible. No I get what you're saying, sorry for poking fun, some idiot's mowing their lawn on my street or something and my dog's going crazy. What I meant by an ideal six pages is that ideally, six pages should be enough content to get you good marks. That is, if you nail the question which shouldn't be difficult if you know your stuff. =]

jet

Banned
HSC

Wow. Luckily, I don't have teachers like that. Though, the markers wouldn't be like that in the HSC. They're meant to realise that it's exam conditions lol.

HSC

Hey cheer up, really. Of course you can still get a band 6.

I think most people underestimated the difficulty of the trials itself, and thus crammed. I stuffed (well think) I stuffed up English, I hope not... but then again I wrote eight pages... when I see 6 pages is quite the standard.

You can do this.

HSC

LOL! What a female dog indeed. I constantly make up quotes, especially from novels. I have yet to be called on it. =]
I think it was from a skrzynecki poem so the teacher knew it inside out, but still, it was obvious I wasn't making up bullshit.

Joga Bonito

HSC
HSC success stories

i'm sure a lot of people believed they have effed up their trials, and i know i have. wondering if anyone knows of people who had shitty ranks but then ripped up the externals and ended up with a high UAI? so that they had a big difference between their assessment and hsc marks
feeling pretty shit atm so itd be good to know if people actually have managed to do well in the end after stuffign up their trials

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
Re: HSC success stories

if you've got bad ranks, unless your entire school group does well in the externals, your mark is going to be limited. that's just the way it is i'm afraid.

though i do know someone whose estimate after trials was high 80s and ended up getting 94

Kizza1992

HSC

"Its not the size its how u use it!!!" hahaha... im sure ya will do fine, and if u did make a few mistakes here and there then its much better to make them now, learn ur lesson and be better prepared for there real deal!!!

And im sure that u will able to write faster in the HSC as u will of had more time to study, know the content better and wont have to pause so much to string ur writing together...

Anyways, if ur still worrying bout it maybe u should practice like speed writing ... just like prepare and essay and then copy it out and time yourself... and then keep doin it to u get it to a time ur happy with ... also help ya remember ur essays for topics like modern and english.

muscleman09

HSC
Re: HSC success stories

i'm sure a lot of people believed they have effed up their trials, and i know i have. wondering if anyone knows of people who had shitty ranks but then ripped up the externals and ended up with a high UAI? so that they had a big difference between their assessment and hsc marks
feeling pretty shit atm so itd be good to know if people actually have managed to do well in the end after stuffign up their trials

this thing you call "success". It does not exist in the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)