Past HSC'ers: How did you results reflect your expectations? (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
Most people I speak to got below what they were expecting esp for the Sciences: where most expected a 80 raw in Chem they ended up getting 65.

This is really disheartening to me tbh. Was anyone pleasantly surprised or was it mostly just disappointment?

I need to know so I can adjust my expectations accordingly and not get too crushed on the 17th LOL

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Oh are they coming out on the 17th this year? Haha fuck thankgod that wasn't last year.
I'll be throwing a party so y'all can drink your sorrows away.

The marking scheme of the sciences are really harsh, and people underestimate it.
Anyway, I did expected a lot more for Chem than I actually got, but mostly this was due to my shitty cohort that dragged me down. If anything, it is best to expect nothing to avoid disappointment. You did your best and that's all that matters, to hell with what you got.
There's always going to be opportunities to redeem yourself, so don't worry.

Last edited:

emilios

HSC
Oh are they coming out on the 17th this year? Haha fuck thankgod that wasn't last year.
I'll be throwing a party so y'all can drink your sorrows away.

The marking scheme of the sciences are really harsh, and people underestimate it.
Anyway, I did expected a lot more for Chem than I actually got, but mostly this was due to my shitty cohort that dragged me down. If anything, it is best to expect nothing to avoid being disappointment. You did your best and that's all that matters, to hell with what you got.
There's always going to be opportunities to redeem yourself, so don't worry.
That's the thing lol I already know I lost 4 marks for Chem. Bring the marking criteria into play and you're therefore looking at -34 LOL

I'm ranked first internally for most of my subs but ranking don't mean shit in a non-selective public school.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Very interested in how IPT will be marked this year that shit was really broad... like the broadest exam i have done to date

emilios

HSC
your kind of scaring me now.
sorry that's why i posted in the 2014 discussion :p most of us are done now + most of us are 18 so we can just drink away any sorrows

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I expected 85 and got .... Never mind

Thank god for bonus points

Constantine

HSC
It depends on where you expections are derived from and what they're underpinned by. If it's based on your performance at school and you go to a pretty well ranked place where your cohort is quite strong then your results shouldn't be that different from your 'expectations'. However do expect a good ~7 mark give or take - that's the biggest difference I've heard from between the 'school estimates' and actual results within the selectives. If you go to a comprehensive your marks can really fluctuate especially if you're in the middle. You'll be safe if you're either at the very top or bottom though.

In regards to science they have really specific marking criteria so you must tick a lot of boxes of what they exactly expect to get those marks.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
That's the thing lol I already know I lost 4 marks for Chem. Bring the marking criteria into play and you're therefore looking at -34 LOL

I'm ranked first internally for most of my subs but ranking don't mean shit in a non-selective public school.
66 in chem is still a B5

britaker

HSC
66 in chem is still a B5
What raw mark would you estimate to be the B6 cutoff? I was told by my chem teacher after the trials I was hovering between a high band 5 and low band 6... and a good enough external mark would definitely push me up into the "low band 6" category xD

70? 75? :uhoh:

mreditor16

HSC
Nothing is good enough

99.95 ATAR is not even good enough

You will never be good enough

enjoy living your life with never being able to be good enough
oh come on. who do you think you are? different people have different expectations and goals.

just because some people have higher expectations than you might have made for yourself doesn't mean that such people have made invalid/stupid/inflated goals etc.

and besides, band 6 isn't too big or excessive or optimistic a goal, it is quite reasonable.

so calm down - it is a perfectly reasonable goal, especially after taking into account emilios' academic calibre and subsequent aspirations.

emilios

HSC
oh come on. who do you think you are? different people have different expectations and goals.

just because some people have higher expectations than you might have made for yourself doesn't mean that such people have made invalid/stupid/inflated goals etc.

and besides, band 6 isn't too big or excessive or optimistic a goal, it is quite reasonable.

so calm down - it is a perfectly reasonable goal, especially after taking into account emilios' academic calibre and subsequent aspirations.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mreditor16 again.

mreditor16

HSC
fair enough I understand what you're saying and no one's perfect and I agree partially in the sense that so many people (I think everyone at some point) strives for some unattainable standard of perfection, but like I kind of agree more with what mreditor just said-- like there's no harm in aiming for the best you can if the "best" is reasonable and within personal calibre. Like for someone with the calibre of attaining higher will not necessarily be satisfied with a lower 'good enough' quantity.

And if you mean 'good enough' for society then thats a valid point, like who even cares lol. But thats not the case here, motivation is sustainable when intrinsic and then the standards for 'good enough' should be defined by ourselves personally. Its when we take for granted (like too much) the things we can easily attain that laziness and complacency occurs

Emilios may well get a band 5 (btw dw man, chem marking is honestly a nightmare, but I think as long as you answered most things and had practice with guidelines, you'll be okay for band 6 range) and yes thats certainly 'good enough' for some people but it may not be so for him. Considering his dedication to his HSC, his goals may be much higher and its justified that he should aim for, and expect, high things.
^ basically what I was thinking, but expressed much better :lol:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
What raw mark would you estimate to be the B6 cutoff? I was told by my chem teacher after the trials I was hovering between a high band 5 and low band 6... and a good enough external mark would definitely push me up into the "low band 6" category xD

70? 75? :uhoh:
75 probs

Need to insert sarcasm brackets.

There is a difference between a goal and an expectation. Expectations will always disappoint. Not once did I say anything about his goal being inflated, or stupid.
Anyway what I'm trying to say is that there's no point brooding over it because what's done is done, who knows, you may have done really well. Quit worrying.
Life is like that. Live with goals but not expectations, and you will be a happy person.

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
ITT the general comment is that marking criteria can rip your anus, which i agree with and I have seen it happen.

The state can only give so many band 6's, even if you think your answer warrants 3 marks, they take everyones paper and judge it, from there they decide and change the marking criteria to allocate a certain % of students a band 6 and another % a band 5. This is also where judging comes in, to determine a borderline student whether or not they deserve a high b5 or a low b6. While you should have a confidence in yourself, its hard to obtain a raw estimate in sciences.

mreditor16

HSC
This makes sense in a way

but the thing is, how can you formulate a goal without an expectation of an achievement (or lack of achievement) of the goal?

The expectation could be tangible, intangible, intrinsic or extrinsic, but there must be an expectation for the goal to exist in the first place.
i.e. how do you formulate a goal without first having an idea of what your level is and what you're expected to be on track for....

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
This makes sense in a way

but the thing is, how can you formulate a goal without an expectation of an achievement (or lack of achievement) of the goal?

The expectation could be tangible, intangible, intrinsic or extrinsic, but there must be an expectation for the goal to exist in the first place.
You are correct about that. There will always will be the desire to achieve a goal, namely an expectation.
But the distinction I'm trying to make here is that a goal will allow you to redeem yourself, whereas an expectation won't.
Goal >> desire than one day you will achieve
Expectation >> immediate outcome will be tangible

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)