Past HSC'ers: How did you results reflect your expectations? (1 Viewer)

Examine

same
HSC
I expected to get 92-94 because of school ranks/thinking i did bad in a few of my exams/trying to scape through to unsw comm with bonus points though i got a bit higher so that was good

However i did hsie subjects and 4u maths so yeah

Last edited:

NotCricket

HSC
Wow you remind me of this chick in my year who I found crying one day before the start of the HSC.

"What's goin on," I asked her, and she said

"I'm really worried I'm not going to get a good ATAR"

"Uh.. okay. Well what do you consider a bad ATAR?"

"Anything below 99"

ffs those kinds of people. Then again she's one of those only children that's totally pampered by her parents and has no idea how to talk to other people her age.
It's totally comparative, dude. If you've put in 10x the work other people have, you're totally entitled to be upset with a mark that they might be ecstatic with. However, it's another thing to push that onto other people - just keep it private.

britaker

HSC
It's totally comparative, dude. If you've put in 10x the work other people have, you're totally entitled to be upset with a mark that they might be ecstatic with. However, it's another thing to push that onto other people - just keep it private.
Yah, I feel you :p

I just find her personally quite obnoxious, in this case, I work just as hard as her if not harder and myself am only expecting something between 97 and 98. (She happens to be naturally talented at maths, whereas I find myself quite lacking mathematically). Perhaps the statement was directed at me, perhaps not who knows.

I digress. If you've put in the work you do deserve the 99.95, just no shaming people that too work hard and achieve less, yeah? :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Were you aiming for .95 or something? (and you clearly have asian parents :haha:)
I can empathise with your point about "pulling the grade up" though haha.
Actually, I didn't really have typical 'Asian' parents, my parents on the contrary was deliberately very free to allow me to do whatever I wanted to do, they truly was supportive in everything I do, they go to the extent of not reacting too much when I get good results or poor results, so that I could not have too much pressure when I didn't get such good results that I had hoped. A lot of the pressure was I put on myself, because although it was unspoken, my parents have sacrificed literally everything for me to have an education, particularly pursue a tertiary education in Australia that I could never have had the opportunity in China, they sacrificed their professional careers (very successful for that matter) and had to start all over again in Australia with literally not much support at all. They subsequently had to work in jobs that did not allow them to use their professional capacities to their full extent, but because of how hard my parents work to provide me with tuition and all the educational resources that I felt I required, I felt there was no way I can let them down, I need to exceed their and my own expectations. I aimed for an ATAR not exactly 99.95, but slightly below it because I really wanted to be able to get into law without any bonus points, even if it was just a fraction of a bonus point. I think in the end I had felt a little bit too much pressure from my teachers, my peers and myself and I couldn't cope it as well as I could, otherwise I probably would have performed better in my external HSC exams. And it wasn't just my parents, all of my family (extended) sacrificed in their own ways (which I am not going to go into details here), but particularly and eternally grateful towards my grandmother, for the sacrifices they have made to give me this opportunity to change my life.

I remember contacting you last year, after the first wave of assessments for year 12. I was having a rant about how obnoxiously competitive and neurotic I was, to the extent that I was blinded by success and considered jeopardising my friendships in the name of ambition. You told me to value the HSC as a learning experience, and to accept that "there can't only be just one star in the sky, because a sky full of stars makes the world more beautiful", which is something that I'll always remember.

Since then, I feel I've improved, and while I've slightly lowered my aims to avoid disappointment, I've still worked my ass off for a whole year. I'm glad that I contacted you, because you brought me back down to earth - for so long I thought I was in my own lane, but now, with three exams to go, I realise that I'm just another 18 year old struggling to accommodate for the present, while focusing on my future. I'm sorry that you didn't reach your aims, but at the same time, you wouldn't be here sharing your experiences of disappointments with the rest of us. In some way, you still got a lot of people their band 6s, never mind the pressures of picking up your cohort.

Thanks for being an inspiration Mei!
Thanks, can't believe you still remember those words. I think other people could probably think me crazy for being saddened once upon a time by such an ATAR. You don't need to be sorry that I didn't achieve my aims, to be honest, in many ways I have achieved my aims, perhaps there wasn't really a limit to my aim, hence it was hard to assess just what threshold I can say I have fulfilled my initial goals, but life doesn't stop after the HSC, and I think it has truly given me the opportunity to do what I can to give back to my community and hopefully inspire others to do so as well. Best wishes and I truly hope all your HSC aspirations will be fulfilled:)

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
Actually, I didn't really have typical 'Asian' parents, my parents on the contrary was deliberately very free to allow me to do whatever I wanted to do, they truly was supportive in everything I do, they go to the extent of not reacting too much when I get good results or poor results, so that I could not have too much pressure when I didn't get such good results that I had hoped. A lot of the pressure was I put on myself, because although it was unspoken, my parents have sacrificed literally everything for me to have an education, particularly pursue a tertiary education in Australia that I could never have had the opportunity in China, they sacrificed their professional careers (very successful for that matter) and had to start all over again in Australia with literally not much support at all. They subsequently had to work in jobs that did not allow them to use their professional capacities to their full extent, but because of how hard my parents work to provide me with tuition and all the educational resources that I felt I required, I felt there was no way I can let them down, I need to exceed their and my own expectations. I aimed for an ATAR not exactly 99.95, but slightly below it because I really wanted to be able to get into law without any bonus points, even if it was just a fraction of a bonus point. I think in the end I had felt a little bit too much pressure from my teachers, my peers and myself and I couldn't cope it as well as I could, otherwise I probably would have performed better in my external HSC exams. And it wasn't just my parents, all of my family (extended) sacrificed in their own ways (which I am not going to go into details here), but particularly and eternally grateful towards my grandmother, for the sacrifices they have made to give me this opportunity to change my life.

Thanks, can't believe you still remember those words. I think other people could probably think me crazy for being saddened once upon a time by such an ATAR. You don't need to be sorry that I didn't achieve my aims, to be honest, in many ways I have achieved my aims, perhaps there wasn't really a limit to my aim, hence it was hard to assess just what threshold I can say I have fulfilled my initial goals, but life doesn't stop after the HSC, and I think it has truly given me the opportunity to do what I can to give back to my community and hopefully inspire others to do so as well. Best wishes and I truly hope all your HSC aspirations will be fulfilled:)
such a bae Mei

you make me smile :)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Doing same thing as RoT here. Me last year:

English Advanced: expected B6 nek minnut B4

MX1: expected a low 90's got that

MX2: expected exactly 64 raw but turns out I was roughly on 62 raw coming off other students' raw marks reports.

Chem: expected an 80's raw. Turned out I got 74 raw. Was a bit dissapointed with it.

Physics: expected 70's raw. Nek minnut could have easily hit 90 raw if I did not make these two terribly silly sillies (got over 85 raw though).

Economics: nfi I was expecting to get something in the 50's with my bullshitting but managed a B4 hahaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)