Past students/current...Teacher being wrong? (1 Viewer)

Apple Sauce

HSC
Hi anyone reading,

Recently I have submitted drafts of a piece of creative writing to my teacher. The teacher commented that it changes form (i.e. from letters to a third person narration) and therefore is inconsistent.

I didnt think this was true so I got my english tutor to look at it. They said it was fine and that it flowed well. The story is being assessed and I was told to change it by my teacher(due to the changes of form) but it is correct!

What to do?
1. stick with your gut feeling and hope that the teacher realises that its right when marking
2. change it (despite it already being fine)
3. Approach the teacher and tell them you felt you did not need to change (maybe needing to mention you had an outward source examine the story also).

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I would go with the third option and if you're teacher is adamant that the composition is wrong then I'll advise you to change it. At the end of the day its ultimately the teacher that marks the narrative.

Apple Sauce

HSC
Yeah seems to be the only polite option :) Embarrassing for the teacher though if I do bring it up, marking it they spelt 'piece' wrong.

Oh the knowledge and great wisdom teachers may pass on

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
A change in form isn't necessarily a bad thing, one of my favourite plays radically shifts in form halfway through it. As long as the effect is intended. If the switching form serves no purpose, it may be better to just stick to traditional third-person prose. But definitely speak to your teacher about it, in any case.

nifkeh

HSC
#3, it should be fine because changing of form is good because it's out of the box, unique and not like what most of the rest of the state are doing (one long story) so that should get you a couple of marks if it works well and the fact that it is original.

I don't really see it as being inconsistent, our teacher encourages us to use flashbacks, asterisks to jump to certain parts of time within the story, different forms of narration and stuff to separate yourself from the crowd to make our story even more original, even though it is a cliche idea

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
A change in form isn't necessarily a bad thing, one of my favourite plays radically shifts in form halfway through it. As long as the effect is intended. If the switching form serves no purpose, it may be better to just stick to traditional third-person prose. But definitely speak to your teacher about it, in any case.
Yeah. Maybe tell the teacher some bullshit like that the change in narrative composition exemplifies the persona's shift in psychosis from an extrovert that communicates with the outside world through letters to one that is utterly recluse and refers to themselves in the third person.

ChrisMueller

HSC
Uni Grad
Option three. Changes in form/experimentation with form are generally rewarded by HSC markers (if they're effective) because they add to the engagement of the text.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Communication (with your teachers) is very important in HSC. This is why I, like others, recommend the third approach.

Firstly, you can clarify why your teacher believes that it is incorrect and you might be able to discuss with your teacher and determine the problem. I feel that this is both a great way to connect with your teacher, as well as gain multiple perspectives/opinions on your work.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
2. Your teacher is the one giving you a mark, you'd be an absolute idiot not to listen to her. It's actually completely irrelevant whether she's right or not, you listen to the one who gives you the marks.

Bobbo1

HSC
2. Your teacher is the one giving you a mark, you'd be an absolute idiot not to listen to her. It's actually completely irrelevant whether she's right or not, you listen to the one who gives you the marks.
This, at the school level just sulk up to what your teacher wants. You can start experimenting once it comes time to the actual HSC.

HSC
N/A
This is a great point, and incredibly important for internal assessments.

Also, when you (OP), refer to an 'outside source' having assessed your creative, it's worth keeping in mind that tutors aren't often trained as teachers. If you have a tutor who achieved high marks, it indicates that they personally were able to achieve, but this doesn't always translate into their students. What you want in a tutor, is one who has experience teaching, and can identify how to best obtain the marks you desire. I don't mean that as an affront to your tutor at all, just trying to point out that they would not be a valid 'outside source' if you were to have an argument with your teacher, unless they're formally qualified as a teacher themself.

harrietty

HSC
Option three. Changes in form/experimentation with form are generally rewarded by HSC markers (if they're effective) because they add to the engagement of the text.
Our teachers encourage us to use different text types as it will make you stand out amongst all the simple narratives. So yeah, unless there is something extremely wrong with your story, it would be alright in an exam, would it not?

captainpigs

Tutor and Note Seller
HSC
Uni Grad
the teacher marks it, do what they say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)