Pathways? (1 Viewer)

Tutored

Snooze Fest
HSC
Honestly, what do you think of it? Do you see any benefit in doing it? Im mildly curious because I want to hear other peoples thoughts on it. I am seriously considering it (for those who are unaware, it involves doing the HSC [Year 12] over two years i.e 3 subjects one year, three the next).

I've sort of narrowed down my personal thoughts of it here:

Advantages

More time
More marks (possibly)
Maximise study time better
UP assessment marks

Disadvantages

Different cohort of students
In school 3 periods a day
Possibly dis-engaged from school
Would be giving up my GAP year

Basically my 1st semester school report indicated that in multiple subjects I am "generally trying my hardest but still struggling to grasp concepts" in other words; trying my hardest and still more or less failing. They also indicated I should be more organised (which is funny, because I've always considered myself organised), so I thought, I dont necessarily want to drop any subjects, but if I could focus on less subjects more then maybe theres a way I could do better at it.

Im aware pathways is usually an option taken by people who are taking a more active role in outside school activies (eg sport) but I am honestly of the assumption that it would help me increase my marks. Can anyone thing of any other advantages or disadvantages or reasons for/against doing it because I've been advised to "make sure this is what I want to do". As I've said, Im seriously considering it.

Should I end up doing it, I think these choices make the most sense:

2009: Maths, English, Business services, Visual arts
2010: Abst, Lst, Bst

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sucks is you're in Year 12 this year and doing Pathways for English, with the syllabus change and all. ;)
But in all honestly - you should consult your Careers Advisor, Year Advisor, Deputy Principal, your parents and even your friends, before making your final decision. They know you best, and could give you a better judgement than any of us here.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Aerath said:
Sucks is you're in Year 12 this year and doing Pathways for English, with the syllabus change and all. ;)
But in all honestly - you should consult your Careers Advisor, Year Advisor, Deputy Principal, your parents and even your friends, before making your final decision. They know you best, and could give you a better judgement than any of us here.

selablad

HSC
theshortykatt said:
if you dont actually have any problems and you dont do large amounts of sport, you shouldnt ahve a problem with doing the hsc normally.
not only are you wasting an extra year that you will most prolly become distracted but you are giving up on yourself.

making a judgement here, but if you put more effort into your school work, you'll come out just fine.
Mmm, but the OP says he is trying his hardest and still more or less failing. How hard are you failing? If it is that bad that you are seriously considering pathways (ie you're not just doing it because you want to have an easy couple of years) then you do have good reason.

And you wouldn't really be wasting your time, because you said you wanted to take a gap year anyway, so it comes out equal. Unless you wanted to travel or something in your gap year, which you wouldn't be able to do, but you can always do that any time. If you were planning on taking a gap year to work on the other hand, then having fewer subjects would mean you could still work during school just not full-time...

There's a girl in the year above me doing year 11 and 12 over three years (it confuses me. but she's in a couple of my classes) and she doesn't mind it at all, she has friends in both year 11 and 12 and doesn't really mind not graduating with all her friends, because she's not as stressed with everything (she's doing it because of sport, but same difference). So yeah.

But as Aerath said, talk to the people who know you, and good luck whatever you decide :D

Cerry

HSC
Based on what you've said, pathways sounds like it might be a good option. It sucks knowing that you're trying hard, and still getting nowhere. You are in a good position in some ways though - your teachers at least recognise that you're trying. They'll probably be more willing to help you if they know that you're trying, rather than just thinking you're lazy.

If you really think that by having a lighter work load, you'll be able to get better marks, then I'd say talk to people who know more, and then make a decision. You may talk to the careers advisor or whoever and discover it's actually a really horrible idea, and you wouldn't dream of actually trying.

Tutored

Snooze Fest
HSC
I have discussed it with the Careers advisor, she's the one who told me to make sure im positive its what I want to do. The only annoying situation is the syllabus changing in certain subjects over the next couple of years, but I think its only English that would really be of any effect, so I can choose which year I'd want to take that (would do it next year). Since it seems like its a good and available option, I might take it (still thinking it over). I still have a term before I make up my mind entirely.

The other obvious option is finding a tutor for the subjects Im having trouble in...but, once again, I think that if I could focus on less subjects more thoroughly, I'd be better able to understand it, thus get better marks

I really wouldn't mind pathways though. I have friends in year 12, 11 and 10, and it certainly wouldn't be any problem finishing high school a year later. Thanks for reading/comment everyone ^_^

selablad said:
How hard are you failing? If it is that bad that you are seriously considering pathways (ie you're not just doing it because you want to have an easy couple of years) then you do have good reason.
Just to highlight this comment... I think 20% would be a good enough reason...and yes...I am trying my hardest :p
(Thats just been on regular testing, I should say. My overall marks are around the 55-60 area but thats still incredibly bad)

Last edited:

rach19

HSC
I know a few people doing it atm, I guess you can get better marks because there isn't as much to learn in a year and part time work could be included. It really depends on what you want to do and how you learn best. Good Luck

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
Yes, but all of us - also includes me :angry:
Well, I dunno, I want a syllabus change. Examiners won't be bored of reading the same shit for the past 5 odd years.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Aerath said:
Well, I dunno, I want a syllabus change. Examiners won't be bored of reading the same shit for the past 5 odd years.
But there are fewer resources, less experience from teachers in teaching the module, less ways to plagiarise (and yes I know plagiarism is a sin).

Then again, there's no point in me complaining - syllabus change is gonna happen no matter what.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Therefore, everyone is on more or less an even playing ground. :)

rebecca9

HSC
i have a good friend that did pathways, and i asked him the same question. he said it was an absolute waste of time. he did it in the hope he would gain more marks, and he is one of the smartest people i know. in the end he didnt gain the marks he required and is now doing nursing instear of being a pediatrician.

i think because you effectively have more time doing pathways, you dont utilise it and you dont push yourself, so in actual fact you would get more lazy.

in my opinion, dont take pathways.

i know you may think it might help, and maybe it does for some, but out of all the people i know that have done pathways, it hasnt helped them.

The Kaiser

HSC
the-derivative said:
English.
But I heard somewhere, they're changing it for maths in 2010.
Yeah, they are. My Maths Teacher said Complex logarithims (ln(-1)) and Polar representation of e^i will be taught after our year, which sucks (for me).

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
The Kaiser said:
Yeah, they are. My Maths Teacher said Complex logarithims (ln(-1)) and Polar representation of e^i will be taught after our year, which sucks (for me).
I reckon the biggest losers would be those accelerating the HSC Course next year. Because if they want to resit the HSC, they have to re-learn a whole heap of new stuff.

Tutored

Snooze Fest
HSC
theshortykatt said:
is it just your marks that the op wants to do pathways? does he need more time to understand and grasp the concepts? is he (well to put it straight forward) too lazy to spend extra time on work if he isn't up to the rest of the class? is the school's input not helping his situation (for example, selective school can place pressures on students that sometimes certain students cant cope with. Sometimes private or public schools can suit certain students.
To be honest, they dont all really appear to the be same question to me.. Yes, one reason I want to do pathways is because of my marks...or lack thereof; its not so much more time as it is remembering and applying it (and trust me, considering we do the SAME content throughout years 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, in part for maths, and revision STILL isn't helping...Im not sure what options I have left); No Im not too lazy, it just doesn't appear to be helping; the school isn't at fault here as far as I'm aware, no.

I'm still confident that if I could focus more effectively on less subjects, mainly because of the amount of content within them (maybe Im not cut out for the hsc :S...or atleast those areas I'm having trouble in...but I'm doing them anyway) that I could potentially do better at them. My GAP Year was actually aimed at travel, but doing so to study, so I am sort of losing one year...which is the only real downside as far as I'm concerned.

catherinet

HSC
I thought that Pathways was a form of special provisions.
If so, you would need pretty substantial evidence for BOS to allow you to have the option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)