Pay Rate For A Receptionist!!!! (1 Viewer)

sal17

HSC
Hi I'm 17 (18 in a month) and working as a casual receptionist (33hrs a wk)
and I'm getting paid $7.95/hr is this underpaid????
(if yes, how much should i be getting & and what should i do??)

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
I don't know about receptionist pay but if I was 17 I wouldn't work for that an hour, 16 year olds can get $9.80 at Maccas so it doesn't sound great...

sombespice

HSC
I'd say at least $13/hour for someone who is untrained. What you're getting now is a pittance.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
sal17 said:
Hi I'm 17 (18 in a month) and working as a casual receptionist (33hrs a wk)
and I'm getting paid $7.95/hr is this underpaid????
(if yes, how much should i be getting & and what should i do??)
$8 an hour for receptionist work?? You should at least be getting somewhere between $12 to $15? otherwise you may as well view it as work experience. It's weird too as you say you're working 33 hours a week as a casual so you should be entitled to a higher rate because you're not getting the benefits (leave loading, etc, etc) a part-timer would naturally be entitled to.

With the job market as shit as it is right now though, I'd say you're better off staying where you are and getting as much experience as you can because you'll stand a much better chance of getting a higher paid position elsewhere later on.

Receptionist work.... Apparently, its boring but easy as hell though I wouldn't know personally as I'm male and automatically stand little chance of being employed as one from personal experience.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
have you checked out wagenet? that seems really low and i thought my old job paid poorly...

JamesCohen

HSC
supercalamari said:
I don't know about receptionist pay but if I was 17 I wouldn't work for that an hour, 16 year olds can get $9.80 at Maccas so it doesn't sound great...
I'm Currently working at Maccas & I'm only getting $7.14. I must be working at the wrong Maccas

CieL

HSC
How long have you been working there?

Perhaps it's probation period.

I got offered that much award wage as a receptionist at 17 for a law firm.
And I thought, no thankyou.

sal17

HSC
CieL said:
How long have you been working there?

Perhaps it's probation period.

I got offered that much award wage as a receptionist at 17 for a law firm.
And I thought, no thankyou.
for about 1 month..what's probation period?
how did u get a job at a law firm? (don't u have 2 be experienced?)

loz8888

HSC
i'm 18 and work as a waitress at a cafe..they pay me $15/hour. $8.00 sounds a little low, but i dont know..

madsam

God among men
HSC
im 17, working at woolworths and i get $12.40 for casual rates, while the part-time rate is about $10.20 or thereabouts

While i assume i work more than a receptionist, i reckon you should get getting $10 minimum for casual, otherwise its not really worth it...

My friends, who do that work for their parents get like $18 or so an hour, but like i said, that's working for their parents...

I think you should at least apply for another job somewhere else, and see how that goes, and if it looks better than your current job, tell your employer you'd like a raise else your leaving. That way you either get a raise, or you move to a better job =]

loz8888

HSC
madsam said:
im 17, working at woolworths and i get $12.40 for casual rates, while the part-time rate is about $10.20 or thereabouts

While i assume i work more than a receptionist, i reckon you should get getting $10 minimum for casual, otherwise its not really worth it...

My friends, who do that work for their parents get like $18 or so an hour, but like i said, that's working for their parents...

I think you should at least apply for another job somewhere else, and see how that goes, and if it looks better than your current job, tell your employer you'd like a raise else your leaving. That way you either get a raise, or you move to a better job =]
yeah thats what i get when i work as a receptionist for my mum

Dr. Oyster

HSC
Dam, that is bad pay.

If you're not enjoying the job you should quit immediately. :D

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
JamesCohen said:
I'm Currently working at Maccas & I'm only getting $7.14. I must be working at the wrong Maccas
Geez, that sucks. I got paid the level two (after 15 weeks of employment) wage as soon as I started.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Yeah, I've just started working as a casual receptionist and I get $9.50. Which isn't quite as bad as yours, but still pretty shit hey.
Hey showed me the goverment whatever it is that shows the minimum rate of pay for certain jobs and such.
And did someone say you move up to a level two after 15 weeks?
Oh, btw, pay goes up to $11.something once I'm 18.

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Hm, I'm 19 (20 in a month) and getting $17/hr as a medical receptionist, but the ther girl who's about the same age as me gets about $25+/hr!! OK, so she's a year more experienced than I am, but our rates shouldn't vary that greatly, should it!? >.<

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)