Paying for uni? HECS vs Upfront payment (1 Viewer)

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
I have a few questions... :/

If I elect to take out a HECS-HELP loan, can I still make the $500+ contributions and still get the 20% discount? And also, can I make $500+ contributions throughout the year (after the census date) and still get the 20% discount?

I love maths, but this money stuff is just scary... lol

HSC
I had a serious panic attack earlier because I'm still on PR and since PRs can't get HECS, I was really worried about being able to pay. It sucked cause I did apply and get approved for Citizenship last year but it's taking a long time to get to the ceremony. I called them up and thry said I'll be going on March 18th, the census date is March 31st.
Is 31st the census date for UNSW? Because I applied for the full payment fee so I can make my timetable, as I couldn't tick "HECS-HELP DISCOUNT PAYMENT" (I haven't received my TFN yet). I should receive it shortly though (applied 4-5 weeks ago). Hopefully it's not too late. stresses

Last edited:

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
This will be my 3rd year of using HECS and I still haven't paid a cent. I'm charged ~$1k per unit, and have completed 19...so I already owe a decent amount. It's heartbreaking getting the letter explaining the % it has increased by each year, but tbh I have better things to spend my money on.

I could pay each semester upfront and get something like $400 off, but that means I have ~$5k less in my bank account. If my parents were willing to pay my HECS then I would definitely take the upfront option, but with the costs of uni and being a teenager, I would rather enjoy the money I'm earning on my shitty wage, and pay the government back when I'm loaded.

Bananaberry

HSC
^ but when you are 'loaded' you will have more expenses to pay for. What are your expenses at the moment?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)