PDHPE exam was a sick joke (1 Viewer)

l-mercedes-l

Has left the building :D
Thanks to everyone who went out of their way to he
HSC
The option questions were a bit out of line with the syllabus. They were like english questions... 'just give us all u got but write it like its answering a question on ethics'

Ok frustrations vented. On with bio...

Oooh something interesting guys. u no when u have a word on the tip of your tounge but cant get it out. its coz the neurons in ur brain are misfiring. Irrelevant but bio always makes me feel better (even if its largely irrelevent to the bio course)

hYperTrOphY

HSC
I thought it was a really good exam!
Multiple choice was easy, as were both cores!

The option: Sport and Physical Activity in Australian Society was very good. My other option: Improving Performance, while I didn't like it, or completely comrehend what we were suposed to write about, was fair. It came straight from the syllabus:

examine case studies of training methods of elite performers by investigating questions such as:
- how do performers in similar events vary their training?
- how do the specicifc ewquirements of an even influence training?
Overall, I thought it was a good, fair exam - but I just didn't like that 1 question (which was probably because we didnt really get notes specific to that issue/question), not because the BOS did anything wrong.

Lanz122

YE FUKKK i totallly stuffed up the 15mark sports med qu', i'm soo pissed off!!! and the annoying thing was, i did a prac question before the exam a few weeks ago about drug testing n my teacher said it was good...and i had no idea what they were asking!... till after the exam...it was about drug testing ye? such a hard exam!!!! and i also found multiple choice quite difficult...accept for the 1st question lol...

Last edited:

pRiNCesS..!!

HSC
lozzipops_87 said:
Anyone else agree??
I thought the entire exam was extremely hard. The options sports med and improving performance nearly made me cry. I left fifteen minutes early which is strange for me coz i never leave exams early and i almost felt guilty...
yes indeed..i just signed in to post exactly this thread and noticed someone beat me to it!it was ULTRA GAY!the short answer ones would have been much easier if i had if studied just that little bit extra, but yep improving performance and sports med was way hard..i was considering doing one of the other ones coz i thought id know mre about that..wat the hell are the barriers for protective eqipment..i didnt even answer that one..??:(

hYperTrOphY

HSC
for the 15 mark question on core 2, plz tell me u guys talked about concentration attention skills/ relaxation techniques/ visualisaton..a...and all that........:S:S
I talked about:
Motivation
Reinforcement
Anxiety
Optimal Arousal
Managing Anxiety (concentration skills, mental rehearsal, visualisation etc)

Lanz122

nedzelic said:
i concur whit all you lot. the options were quite difficult. did anyone find helth of young people part b hard? it was all about the skills required (which is like 2/3 of the topic) fair enough but then looking at a priority area in terms of the skills...that was fair hard don't yas think? i don'y know about yous but we never conisidered the areas of concern with relation to the skills requored.
we looked at them from the social dertminants, nature of the problem extentent, prevelance, morbitdity, mortaliy etc...
Anyone share my thoughts?

Also, for part b improving performance, it was about skill but also just improving performance in general yeah? somewhat vauge....

for part b) i talked about skills and coping... i don't know what concerns your class did? we did body image and skills n coping...i talked bout skills n coping and mentioned the 4 types of argument that reduces stress n shit that leads to suicide...it was a great question....compared to SPORTS MED!! ohhh the paiiin.... :rolleyes:

Lanz122

Quote:
for the 15 mark question on core 2, plz tell me u guys talked about concentration attention skills/ relaxation techniques/ visualisaton..a...and all that........:S:S

don't worry i also tlaked about that! and goal setting n focusing n shit...i'm pretty sure its right....

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
sports medicene question b was a fucking joke, wtf 15 marks on that question...

improving peformance was ok, question b i thought i aced that i wrote about/mentioned
- micro/macro cycles
- stength training
- hr
- ^heart size
- co
- sv
- 3 phases of competition
- heamoglobin levels
- flexibility training
- endurance athletes & training
- anaerobic athletes & training

i related it all to how it improves training, i wrote 4 and a half pages for b.

em23

em23
HSC
that ws by far the hardest exam ive done yet!!! the god damn options were a joke. sports med and impro perf ripped my marks to shreds !! i studied heaps as well!!! it was bullshit

kEEn4sHIRe

HSC
awesome

are you kidding? it wasn't that hard. stop whining.
it was never going to be easy. and no, it wasn't bullshit.
shut up and just be happy you did better than probabably
half the state seeing as you people are keen enough
to make a comment on a post about an exam.
pe is over. learn that fact.

neafoo

HSC
yes i also do options sports med and imp. perf.

i think i squeezed out enough crap for sports med
but the second improving performance question i didnt know what to write about really.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
anita_wax said:
sports medicene question b was a fucking joke, wtf 15 marks on that question...

improving peformance was ok, question b i thought i aced that i wrote about/mentioned
- micro/macro cycles
- stength training
- hr
- ^heart size
- co
- sv
- 3 phases of competition
- heamoglobin levels
- flexibility training
- endurance athletes & training
- anaerobic athletes & training

i related it all to how it improves training, i wrote 4 and a half pages for b.
Umm.. the question was from the syllabus dot point "training for skill and improvement"

pigman13

HSC
I reckon overall, it was a shit exam, mutliple choice wasnt too bad, however, question 5 confused me : which of the sets of risk factors is common in both cvd and breast cancer and question 20: the graphs show the learning curves of a performer practicing two new skills. which best reflected the skills represented by x and y.
I did question 21, health priorities.
question a) (account for the differences in the health status of men and women in australia.) I found this question really easy, and reckon i got a band 6 answer.
b) the comparison between the two approaches was ok..could have done better.
Question 22-factors affecting performance
a) describe the FITT principle..etc. - yeah, that question wasnt too bad, prob a band 4 answer there
b) evaluation of the psychological strategies - I did it in table form, and reckon i got band 5

The options section was shit, I did sports med and sport and physical activity in aus. society
question a on sports med ( outline the barriers to the use of protective equipment in sport) was just stupid...i expected something like classifying or managing injuries, or mineral deficiencies or something.
b) (critically analyse the ethical issues raised by the increased use of sports medicine for injury management)...yeah, that question fucked me up, i had no idea at all.
question 24 a) (outline how australia has used sport for political purposes), i think that was ok, i spoke about tourism, trade and sponsorship. especially as a result of the olympics
b)(critically analyse how the mass media contribute to peoples understanding, values and beliefs about sport), think i went ok, spoke mainly about selection of choices on what is broadcast eg. the low porfile of womens sport, plus the media representation of sportsmen..etc. etc.

so overall, the multiple choice i thought were ok, part b was ok, options were kind of shit.

stfu noob

HSC
millad said:
i know, i was shifting in my seat non stop....the legal studies was ok i guess,,,,,at least we had some idea....
Yeah, i wrote about relaxation techniques, mental rehersal, etc. But the ethics question for sports med.. that was a killer. I got pwned.

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
Umm.. the question was from the syllabus dot point "training for skill and improvement"
it was such a broad question, anything you talked about related to it. i included improving skills & improvement as a whole for competition related to the stuff i wrote about.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
question 24 a) (outline how australia has used sport for political purposes), i think that was ok, i spoke about tourism, trade and sponsorship. especially as a result of the olympics
b)(critically analyse how the mass media contribute to peoples understanding, values and beliefs about sport), think i went ok, spoke mainly about selection of choices on what is broadcast eg. the low porfile of womens sport, plus the media representation of sportsmen..etc. etc.
I wrote similar stuff for the mass media Q. I talked about the representations in the print media and in TV, then talked about everything under the dot point: "Deconstructing Media Messages", which includes differences in coverage and differences in language and visual images. This Q was pretty easy I though.

For the political purposes one, I'm not sure if you answered it correctly. From my perspective, you were supposed to talk about how Australian governments and sporting teams have used sport for political purposes. The examples I used were when Australia took action to boycott the Mexico Olympics (but fuck! it was the Moscow Olympics! Shit.. oh well) when Russia moved into areas of Afghanistan + how many Aus sporting teams, especially in rugby and cricket have refused to play South Africa due to their Apartheid Policy.

Last edited:

hYperTrOphY

HSC
anita_wax said:
it was such a broad question, anything you talked about related to it. i included improving skills & improvement as a whole for competition related to the stuff i wrote about.
I thought it was a broad question too, but I dont think it is. It comes, word for word, straight from the syllabus, in the "students learn to" column, under the dot point "improving skill and performance". So that would mean only the stuff under that dot point is relevant. I hope not though, because I wrote about power and endurance training, but I doubt it.

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
I thought it was a broad question too, but I dont think it is. It comes, word for word, straight from the syllabus, in the "students learn to" column, under the dot point "improving skill and performance". So that would mean only the stuff under that dot point is relevant. I hope not though, because I wrote about power and endurance training, but I doubt it.
lol, if i failed that question i cant do anything about it now, i just felt like i went well in it wether i answered the question or not i felt i knew alot about whatever topic i was talking about anyway meh.

Chelski

This thread is an overaction

The exam was not THAT hard. Sure the ethics question was a little vague, and the Improving Performance a little narrow. But you didn't have to go straight out of the syllabus.

For improving performance, I used information from:
<b>training for skill and improvement</B> - you could have mentioned 5 different types of practice
- variety of practices/drills:
<b>- phases of competition</B>
− pre, in and post season preparation
− peaking for performance
− tapering - All these things were applicable
<b>elements of a training session</b> - All this could be used
− providing an overview of session to
athletes
− warm up
− skill instruction
− skill practise
− conditioning
− warm down
− evaluation
− health and safety considerations, eg
safe facilities/equipment, minimise
injury risk

You could also say little things about training innovation and overtraining.

Barriers for sport was pretty simple, for 5 marks. Socio-economic status was an obvious one. Social attitudes about protective gear in male oriented sports was another one. Location (rural isolation affects access to gear). Not too hard.

As for the ethics, I said stuff about
- role of coach and sports med. practitioner
- pressures to participate
- painkilling injections
- return to play
- children and young athletes

My Sports Medicine response was 8 pages and my Improving Performance 9 pages.
If you just thought about it a little, there was plenty of stuff there. I'm hoping for Band 6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)