PDHPE FOR YR 11? SUBJECT SELECTION (1 Viewer)

yao_jahang

HSC
Hi guys! I'm starting year 11 this year and I chose PDHPE as one of my subjects. I was interested in what practical work there is involved? Or is it much more theory based?
I prefer the practical side a lot more, will there be fitness testing, camps, etc? What sort of prac activities do you get to do in year 11?

Thanks guys :)

may22

HSC
Yeah PDH is all theory; quite a bit of content, but not difficult to grasp

Mazar97

HSC
It’s all theory. Not to scare you but there’s a lot to study for so it’s definitely not for stupid people. It’s very content heavy

yao_jahang

HSC
is it interesting? because there past papers seem interesting as well as the cores? would pdhpe be good if I want to study medicine? because right now I need to pick between two subjects: ancient history and pdhpe and im very confused as to which is better.

may22

HSC
is it interesting? because there past papers seem interesting as well as the cores? would pdhpe be good if I want to study medicine? because right now I need to pick between two subjects: ancient history and pdhpe and im very confused as to which is better.
Wow, what a coincidence; I was choosing between ancient and PDH too haha.
I love history, but I figured it was going to be a lot of writing, and I was taking 2 sciences and 2 extensions, so in my case, it was better for me to choose something I found had an easier workload to cope with.
PDH is most definitely not a subject for stupid people; it's not like, say 4 unit math, but it is challenging in its own way. If you are confident in understanding the topics, you will derive a kick from wording your answers in the best way possible to get the highest marks.
PDH is actually quite enjoyable; a lot of the content is really applicable to real life. I'll admit that Term 1 content wasn't all that interesting, but don't let that demotivate you! It was very straightforward, but term 2 was great. The topic is Body in Motion, and you get a really in-depth understanding of all the muscles, bones, respiratory system, circulatory system, etc. You mentioned earlier that you enjoy the practical component; well, if you're lucky like I was with my school, there might be a point where you go head-to-head with your classmates in a number of fitness tests.
The final topic is an option topic; my school does First Aid, and we actually get the certificate, which was another reason why I chose PDH over ancient history. It might be a good idea to ask some of the older students or your teachers what they do at your school. Overall, PDHPE has a decent amount of classwork/homework in which the actual content is not that difficult to understand. Depending on how easily you understand the content, the time and effort you spend on PDH could be minimal or maximal; for me, PD is the one subject I let myself wind down a little because it's so much easier than everything else.

would pdhpe be good if I want to study medicine?
I'm actually also aiming to study medicine; I have found that in prelim, some of the things covered in PDH are interchangeable with biology. Don't forget that PDH is also a great way of having general knowledge and life-skills, so there is no harm in taking it up.

yao_jahang

HSC
does the cohort of pdhpe and the teacher matter that much? because most of my cohort are known as the sporty kids and if feel like they're just in it for the sports.

may22

HSC
most of my cohort are known as the sporty kids and if feel like they're just in it for the sports.
They're no 'PE' section to PDHPE, so that won't matter.
As long as they put in the effort in theory, you'll all be fine. Just do your best :)

yao_jahang

HSC
ok thx for the advice. I appreciate it. Wait what year r u in?

yao_jahang

HSC
do u have any assignment notifications u can give me so i can see what its like? thx

may22

HSC
Umm, we've only had one assessment so far, since assessment 2 got cancelled because of lockdown, and now the exam

I don't think I have the actual notification, but the first assessment was very straightforward; it was an in-class assessment with 13 multiple choice, a 4 mark short answer, and then an 8 marker, so out of 25 total

What other subjects are you choosing?

may22

HSC
Oh cool, I'm doing 3u english, 3u math, bio, chem and PDH

may22

HSC
Bio is fine; it's pretty straightforward, I found it to be like revision of year 10, with some added concepts. In all honesty, I'm looking forward to year 12 bio more because it's so much more interesting; genetics, diseases, etc

Chem is...well...term 1 was pretty easy, again kind of year 10 revision with a few added concepts. Don't let fool you though, it gets more complicated pretty quickly. Not so in the mathematical section -- if you understand how to rearrange equations -- but more in terms of understanding what the hell you're actually doing lol

yao_jahang

HSC
what about phd? do u have any further thoughts on that apart from what u already discussed? idk im reallyunsure about pdh.

may22

HSC
Ummm, I pretty much said what I thought regarding it. I can't really think of anything else, unless you have a specific question about it?

yao_jahang

HSC
are the assignments and assessments for pd hard and how do I do well in them?

zizi2003_

HSC
are the assignments and assessments for pd hard and how do I do well in them?
PDHPE is a relatively easy subject and so are its assignments/assessments.
You just have to ensure you have a proper structure in your responses + examples. Know your PDH syllabus and I'd suggest making notes based off the syllabus (with the dot-points as headings and notes underneath, which you can find from the textbook/class resources).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)