People who continue to write after time's up. (1 Viewer)

Muz4PM

HSC
russianROULETTE said:
i work out the answers in the reading time so i can circle the answers quickly and have more time for essays.
Haha, I find that I do the opposite, I go straight to the big questions during my reading time, and use most of the time planning my responses to them, then give a few minutes at looking at multiple choice, thinking about the answers. Then, when we are allowed to start, I circle the obvious ones, then go straight to the big mark questions.

Anyone else do that?

I look at those people who sit doing nothing during the exam and think, wow, then continue with my answer. They generally are the first to leave when the first hour is up. We can't leave in the first hour, or the last fifteen minutes. I assume it is the same for the rest of you?

HSC
Muz4PM said:
Haha, I find that I do the opposite, I go straight to the big questions during my reading time, and use most of the time planning my responses to them, then give a few minutes at looking at multiple choice, thinking about the answers. Then, when we are allowed to start, I circle the obvious ones, then go straight to the big mark questions.

Anyone else do that?

I look at those people who sit doing nothing during the exam and think, wow, then continue with my answer. They generally are the first to leave when the first hour is up. We can't leave in the first hour, or the last fifteen minutes. I assume it is the same for the rest of you?
lol that's the way the teachers generally tell us to do it, but i've grown to like my way... my theory is that if i can get all 20 multiple choice circled in 2 minutes after using the reading time, i have 18 minutes to plan for essays.

yeah i noticed a friend of mine in an exam the other day, just doing nothing every few minutes. and we're talking about a 45 minute exam, i had 4.5 pages to write so i was flat out for 40 minutes, with 5 mins for editing... i don't understand people that sit there idly in short exams like that...

we're not allowed to leave at all... it sucks, because our hall is freezing cold and with no mental stimulation when i finish.

Muz4PM

HSC
russianROULETTE said:
we're not allowed to leave at all... it sucks, because our hall is freezing cold and with no mental stimulation when i finish.
I tend to enjoy reading about who rooted who and who is a a slut and what not which has been grafittied onto my desk. The range of messages left on there are staggering, there was one which counted down the exam time in five minute incriments, I had a bit of a laugh at that. I often wonder why people are not generous and write english quotes or maths formulas on the desk :mad:

But yeah, exam technique, I guess whatever works for you, just so long as you finish in the end, witha ll you want, it's all good.

Muz4PM

HSC
I find it ironic, if I see people just sitting around, doing nothing, but working feverishly in the final ten minutes at their essay. I often think, why didn't you do that earlier?

Probably because they just remembered what they wanted to write and are attempting to get it all down.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Muz4PM said:
I tend to enjoy reading about who rooted who and who is a a slut and what not which has been grafittied onto my desk. The range of messages left on there are staggering, there was one which counted down the exam time in five minute incriments, I had a bit of a laugh at that. I often wonder why people are not generous and write english quotes or maths formulas on the desk :mad:

But yeah, exam technique, I guess whatever works for you, just so long as you finish in the end, witha ll you want, it's all good.
When i was in year 7 or 8 and we used to do essays on loose leaf paper, me and my friends would spend time writting letters to each other and then smuggling them out of the examination room. Now, thanks to exam booklets we cant do that anymore because its pretty obvious if you rip out pages. That, and wanting to use the time efficiently

HSC
Muz4PM said:
lol most of the desks are new, unfortunately, or have nothing interesting... it's just stuff like "2007 trial over" or "gen maths sucks" or something really stupid that's not that entertaining.

my business teacher said that if it's something like that in an essay and you have like 10mins, write it down in dot points because your examiner can't ignore the content... obviously you can't get full marks but it's better than saying screw it and doing nothing. i'm pretty sure i won't run out of time like that, though.

Muz4PM

HSC
midifile said:
When i was in year 7 or 8 and we used to do essays on loose leaf paper, me and my friends would spend time writting letters to each other and then smuggling them out of the examination room. Now, thanks to exam booklets we cant do that anymore because its pretty obvious if you rip out pages. That, and wanting to use the time efficiently
Haha, good to see you had your priorities straight ;)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Muz4PM said:
I think it's a BOS rule that students can leave after the first hour and anywhere up to but not including the last 15 minutes. I know at my school you were allowed to leave but I also know/heard of schools like yours that tell their students/supervisors that they are not to leave.

Muz4PM

HSC
russianROULETTE said:
lol most of the desks are new, unfortunately, or have nothing interesting... it's just stuff like "2007 trial over" or "gen maths sucks" or something really stupid that's not that entertaining.

my business teacher said that if it's something like that in an essay and you have like 10mins, write it down in dot points because your examiner can't ignore the content... obviously you can't get full marks but it's better than saying screw it and doing nothing. i'm pretty sure i won't run out of time like that, though.
Actually, that is a pretty good tip, I will remember it if I am in desperate need, thanks. I hope I don't get into that sort of trouble. I hope that if I do though, I don't get overly strict examiners who will rip up directly after the PENS DOWN! It would look silly if you were half way through your concluding sentence and didn't finish it. However, rules are rules.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Muz4PM said:

Anyone else do that?
i do :wave:

neeksy45

HSC
for english(in class) there are kids who keep on writing a whole paragraph after we are told not to. its really annoying especially as the teacher is nice enough to let us finish off our sentence.
i know that is different to exams but yeah.
in our exams the teachers really dont seem to notice if we are still writing,except for when they are getting collected i suppose.
but these are only the half-yearlys :)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I normalyl tackle 5-10 easy q's to get my hand busily writing before before hitting the high mark ones.

Multiple choice often come last.

HSC
Have to do my exam in order from front to back and if the question is hard ill skip it and go back to it. People who write up after time is up thats alright i feel sorry for them it sucks not finishing your exam properly.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
I always do tests in the normal order, so short answers first then extended responses. I just don't feel comfortable writing an essay when I know I have to stop soon and handle the shorts.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
After 'Pens Down' is announced after an exam there are always people who continue to write, I'm not talking about people who write for an extra 10 secs or anything, i mean the people who continue to write until the papers are being collected and they have to be told to stop so their paper can be handed in.

What does your school do about this? Mine doesn't do anything :s
It doesn't really bother me that much but it's still an unfair advantage.

Also, what will happen to people who do that in the externals??
I can imagine people in panic can freak out and just spill out a conclusion that takes them 15 secs to write, would this be tolerated?
I hate those people. I think its totally unfair. And it happens all the time. They just keep writting!! and what do the hsc supivisors do.. well IF and only IF they see they will just probably walk over to you and ask you directly to stop.. thats about it. they can put you down as cheating,... but i doubt they would.

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
my english advance half yearly this week it had:
general short answers
creative writing
essay

I went straight to the essay, did short answers second and creativing writing last because i tend to get paranoid thinking that i could be writing and essay or doing questions while taking heaps long to think up a random plot about 'imaginative journeys'

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
BackCountrySnow said:
I'm saying it's not a huge advantage. But un unfair advantage nevertheless.
And am I complaining?

I stated that there are students who write after time is up.
I asked what schools are doing about this...
I stated mine did nothing.
And I even concluded that I don't really mind that people do it.
Where, just where, in my post did I direct the comment at you specifically? I suggest you go back and read the "omg yeah it really pisses me off" posts.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Conspiración said:
Where, just where, in my post did I direct the comment at you specifically? I suggest you go back and read the "omg yeah it really pisses me off" posts.
This is a thread where people can express thier feelings about people who write after time is up. who are you to tell them to "stop complaining. Just deal with it."?

and then you edit your post with this:

Conspiración said:
EDIT: People also take days and days off school, act sick, get a dr's cert and submit their assessments at a later date. I think that is a greater advantage. Certainly a lot more concerning than 30sec after the end of an exam.
Sure, it is more concerning than 30s after an exam, but does that make writing after an exam is over right? what exactly is your point?

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
BackCountrySnow said:
This is a thread where people can express thier feelings about people who write after time is up. who are you to tell them to "stop complaining. Just deal with it."?
I expressed my "feelings" and others also said to deal with it. I don't know what your problem is.
Again, the post was not directed at you specifically. You got defensive. Now get over it.

Sure, it is more concerning than 30s after an exam, but does that make writing after an exam is over right? what exactly is your point?
My point is that some things are of greater concern - you agree. I didn't say writing after an exam is over is right - nor did I say it was wrong. I am indifferent about it - hence, "deal with it".

Matt1120

Basically a History Nerd
HSC
moz324 said:
my school doesnt do anything either. they just go around and collect the papers even if they are writing, and if they are writing when they come to collect them, the teachers just wait until they are finished the question. its an unfair advantage, they should have better time management in the exam.
No they do do stuff...(for ppl wondering we go to da same school) a certain person who kept writing in the english exam got penalised and warned 4 next time....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)