people who put you down. (1 Viewer)

studentcheese

HSC
Has anyone experienced put downs about their results? How have you coped with these?

I have experienced put downs from my family who tell me that I will never do as well as my cousins, that I'm lazy, will never go university and will be a failure. :jedi:
I've been telling myself to ignore them but it's very hard.. especially since they're coming from my family.

and then there are those people who say that you're so smart, you should stop studying because you're becoming too nerdy. which makes me wonder.. why would friends, who are supposed to support you, tell you to stop studying?

so how to deal with these put downs?

xMaNx

HSC
you dont.

I get that almost every day, i've given up.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
LOL asian parents compare you to someone they know did heaps good. I also thought the thread title meant "people who kill you" because ya know.

HSC
Uni Grad

Are you achieving good marks / ranks?
Either way, keep studying hard and just ignore their shit. If they aren't interested in encouraging / motivating you then they are pretty poor parents. Prove them wrong and acquire a great ATAR, good luck.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
No, he is simply the carrier of the gene. Sucks not to be infected.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Tell your parents to back off, that they're not helping by putting you down.

Parents act like this, then wonder why their children move out and never talk to them.

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
a friend of mine was asked by the teacher "is english your second language?" when given back a religion practice essay.

harsh much.

Kralex

HSC
Shooting them seems like the only viable option really.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
I've always been considered someone who does well in tests, but when I got 57.5% on my Physics Half Yearly, everyone let me know it. Pretty sure I understand that it's a pretty horrible result!

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
That's the thing hey.

You know how much you've been studying.

You know what your marks are like.

You don't need people commenting on them because you KNOW.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Lots of parents, especially Asian parents, are inherently like this. The reason is because as their child, you are basically their 'bragging material' so if you get 99.95 ATAR, you can expect your parents to show you around like some prize bull.

It's what they do because most of these families started from scratch ie: As 1970/80 immigrants. How well their child does is a 'reflection' of how well they coped and how well they assimilated.

All your parents want to do is show you off if you do well. If you understand that, it will make it a whole lot easier trying to ignore them.

It sucks to be in your situation, I've been there.

Or you can an hero.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Lots of parents, especially Asian parents, are inherently like this. The reason is because as their child, you are basically their 'bragging material' so if you get 99.95 ATAR, you can expect your parents to show you around like some prize bull.

It's what they do because most of these families started from scratch ie: As 1970/80 immigrants. How well their child does is a 'reflection' of how well they coped and how well they assimilated.

All your parents want to do is show you off if you do well. If you understand that, it will make it a whole lot easier trying to ignore them.

It sucks to be in your situation, I've been there.

Or you can an hero.
Ya because their poor upbringing has no bearing on why they want their kid to succeed since they didn't get the chance to aye

xMaNx

HSC
YAY got told off again, 5 minutes ago.

I am so worthless.

mecramarathon

HSC
well my year adviser puts me down cause i'm asian

but no one gives a fuck 'bout her lol

chrisnumber1

HSC
i had the same thing, but a bit different. my parents thought that my brother had a superior work ethic.(even though i know he wasted sooooooo much time on games and shit like that) for the hsc however he put in a genuine attempt, however was deeply disappointed in his results as he to put this nicely isnt the most academic person. i i am quite the opposite, while he was asking my parents for help with every assignment(they are teachers) i would never ask for help(other than read over stuff which was basically a glorified spellchecker) and 99% of the time they would have no idea of what i was doing. i had high hopes for the hsc (90+) but my parents didnt think i could do it, or had the right attitude, even surgesting that i repeat the hsc (i was coming 1st in 3 unit and 2 unit maths, 2nd i chemistry and top 10 for everything else). you just gotta say fuck you (in your head), know what you can do and try your best for you. and i got really pissed when my parent were acting like they did the hsc and it was their results after that whole incident. btw i got a tad under 97 and im white so...yeah. i get how they didnt want me to think i would get 99 then get 60 but still.

random bus

HSC
aww you poor thing try to think about what your good at and maybe talk to ur parents .

just try to keep in mind that people who put you down have underlaying issues perhaps they think that there not good enough etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)