People with Opposite-Sex Siblings: Question (1 Viewer)

Dr_Test

HSC
N/A
Here's a theoretical question: Could you imagine living in a society where it was normal to be very, very close to an opposite-sex sibling (non-sexual), or is the thought too uncomfortable?

I'm talking about being close enough where you act like a married couple regarding certain types of simple affections (example: affectionate hugs/kisses being taken as normal, and encouraged), but of course never crossing the line into romance, sex, etc... Example: if a sister were to lean against a brother during a movie, the brother might pull her closer, not jump up and panic.

---
I'm trying to figure out if most people view their opposite sex siblings with more of a sense of "ick" when thinking about them in this context (let's call it a very expressive, free society), or if people secretly wish society would accept more openness between siblings, so they can express themselves better.

The reason is, I find society's tolerance extremely low with almost ANY kind of affection between siblings, and am wondering if perhaps man-kind has an undiscovered natural desire here that is being suppressed by society...

I'm a guy with no sisters, so I have no idea. I know how brothers regard each other, but of course there is no male/female chemistry there that would constitute ever wanting to show that style of physical affection (the way father/son don't, but mother/son do... at least here).

Any opinions? Can you imagine yourself in that kind of society?

Update: this thread seems to have been moved to "Love and Relationships" for some reason... Mods, are you getting off reading this? ;)

Last edited:

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC
Here's a theoretical question: Could you imagine living in a society where it was normal to be very, very close to an opposite-sex sibling (non-sexual), or is the thought too uncomfortable?

I'm talking about being close enough where you act like a married couple regarding certain types of simple affections (example: affectionate hugs/kisses being taken as normal, and encouraged), but of course never crossing the line into romance, sex, etc... Example: if a sister were to lean against a brother during a movie, the brother might pull her closer, not jump up and panic.

---
I'm trying to figure out if most people view their opposite sex siblings with more of a sense of "ick" when thinking about them in this context (let's call it a very expressive, free society), or if people secretly wish society would accept more openness between siblings, so they can express themselves better.

The reason is, I find society's tolerance extremely low with almost ANY kind of affection between siblings, and am wondering if perhaps man-kind has an undiscovered natural desire here that is being suppressed by society...

I'm a guy with no sisters, so I have no idea. I know how brothers regard each other, but of course there is no male/female chemistry there that would constitute ever wanting to show that style of physical affection (the way father/son don't, but mother/son do... at least here).

speak for yourself tasmanian

HalcyonSky

HSC
thats a bit weird guy

im sure alot of curious incestuous experiences have arisen out of being more 'affectionate' with each other

laniani

HSC
i'm the only girl amongst a family of boys.
With those over 13, I hug them...rarely at that- on bdays, christmas, to embarass them :) and I'm happy keeping it at that.
I have a young brother though, and our relationship has always been a bit 'motherly'- seeing as he's 14 years younger than me. So I hug him heaps, he gets kisses and cuddles- and I love our relationship.
...but....leaning into your brother in a movie?....keep it for the bf...

Scissors

HSC
i think this is a pretty intersting topic.

having no sisters, i really can't comment on it though.

but talking about my brothers, i don't think i've EVER hugged any of them.

i don't think i've even hugged my dad.

and i like it this way.

HalcyonSky

HSC
i think this is a pretty intersting topic.

having no sisters, i really can't comment on it though.

but talking about my brothers, i don't think i've EVER hugged any of them.

i don't think i've even hugged my dad.

and i like it this way.
you're emotionally retarded.

Scissors

HSC
I have one brother I think we're quite close. I mean when I see him I hug him. I think perhaps it's more to do with whether you're an affectionate person.

I love my brother very much however, but I don't know. I don't get the whole sibling rivalry thing.
i don't get the rivalry thing either.

and there's definitely love between us.

but hugging is just a no go zone with us.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I don't have any brothers so, idk. But I probably wouldn't be all affectionate and shit, it's a bit weird.

My sister and I don't show much physical affection. We both prefer it that way. It's been like that for so long that if I go to hug her for no obvious reason she thinks something is wrong.

Personal space = win

samthebear

HSC
ew. leaning aganist your brother? leave that to the boyfriend please! but hugging is ok imo. please dont do the kissing - thats just crossing the very thin line of sibbling affection to incest.

i'd have no scruples hugging my brother but we dont tend to hug and thats totally fine with me - i just ruffle his hair when i pass as a sign of affection.
If i had female sibblings, i'd deffs hug them often.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
My brother, who is 6 years my senior, would never, ever, ever do anything like this, nor would I want him to.
Just... no. No. He will barely even hug me when he's going back to Queensland after a visit.

Gross.

too much fun

HSC

---

haha.
oh wait.
you were serious...

Let me laugh even harder.
HAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

jokes aside, to be honest, i dont show that kinda "affectionate"/"tasmanian"/"brotherly love" kind of stuff. if you are comfortable doing it, there aint no problem, because I respect what people think yea? so should the rest of you fuckers out there.

edit: personally, it aint my cuppa tea, to be honest.

Rabbitoh

HSC
It's a good point. I don't mind hugging and kissing my sister on the cheek, and she's leaned on me when watching TV before I think.

It's just modern society that turns this discussion sexual.

I don't physically greet my brother with a hug or shaking hands or anything. I just say hello and wave. I sometimes hug my dad, and he kisses me on the cheek sometimes too. I imagine most people are similar.

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC
gay

gay gay gay

what type of pussy family are you

as if show any affection towards your old man at all. shaking hands with him should the most physical contact. until you get drunk and tackle him.

gay gay gay

gay

EpicFailGuy

Banned
HSC
gay

gay gay gay

as if show any affection towards your old man at all. shaking hands with him should the most physical contact. until you get drunk and tackle him.

gay gay gay

gay

I like what you did there static....
beautiful post, like a piece of art

Dr_Test

HSC
N/A
It seems most people so far are (very predictably) more interested in taking this discussion down the road of incest/etc (or whatever they're thinking when they cast their ridicule). Thanks to those who have answered seriously so far. It seems there's a definite line drawn between families with close siblings, and carefully "sectioned-off" ones.

gay gay gay

Seems your idea of a "non-pussy" family is one that suffers from a severe emotional absence.

skynet89

HSC
my sister and i sometimes hug and kiss on the cheek.

as far as leaning on each other no we haven't. Morally i'd be able to do it and know that she's my sister and that's it vice versa (nothing romantic/sexual), but society has made it a bit weird/inappropriate.

imo similar to how girls can touch each other more without being a lesbian

red-butterfly

HSC
ew. leaning aganist your brother? leave that to the boyfriend please! but hugging is ok imo. please dont do the kissing - thats just crossing the very thin line of sibbling affection to incest.

i'd have no scruples hugging my brother but we dont tend to hug and thats totally fine with me - i just ruffle his hair when i pass as a sign of affection.
If i had female sibblings, i'd deffs hug them often.
thats so true! I have a brother that i'm really really close with he's only year younger than me but I'd never cross the line with the whole kissing thing.. thats just... crossing the line

and leaning against your brother during a movie??? definately should be left for the boyfriend...

but my youngest sister i always kiss and hug... she's only 3 cute and adorable!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)