Personal Supercomputers (1 Viewer)

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Holy shit, this is amazing. Just like IBM invented/popularised personal computers (PCs) back in the 1980's (before that they took up the size of a room and cost millions), NVIDIA has just releasing a line of personal supercomputers. They cost under $10,000 (again, these used to be the size of a room and cost millions).

That's pretty amazing if you consider that not long ago, the average PC cost $5,000 (and we haven't even adjusted for inflation).

http://tech.slashdot.org/tech/08/11/23/068234.shtml

I am so going to save up for one of these puppies.

Some brackground: supercomputers run on a parallel processing architecture. Instead of using one processor to compute one thing at a time, they use multiple processors (maybe 4, maybe 90) to do multiple things at once.

The 'dual core' concept in modern PCs is similar (but not the same).

Tesla PSCs (personal supercomputers) have 4 processors, each with 240 cores. They use a GPU (graphical processing unit) instead of a CPU (central processing unit), but that's another story.

Previously, people have created homemade supercomputers by hooking up multiple PS3s, whilst the ANU built a superfast Beowulf cluster by hooking up 90 computers each with 400 MHz processors - it cost just a few thousand dollars.

Telling you how fast this thing runs in hertz would be useless, because supercomputers tend to be measured in flops instead, and parallel architectures obviously compute in parallel rather than serial. Suffice to say, though, it would be significantly more than 10 GHz.

I'm having a nerdgasm.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
quote me if you didn't read da OP

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Did someone say crysis on mega high settings?
nvr mind..

also i didnt really read the op, saw the link, saw that its gpu based, saw how many cores it had, op shouldve just been link.

:p to Trefoil

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
eh not as great as you seem to think. I cant really think of any point behind using a supercomputer for the average gamer. Theres a long way to go yet before you can harness that power in any significant way that would effect me... iam not interested in crunching numbers for research or anything like that.

btw 4 terraflops isnt that much, my graffics card has maybe 2 so the humble PC isnt that far off in computing power anyway.

Mumma

HSC
Currently this wont help a home user one bit, since there is very few if any highly parallel software designed for home use. This is great for engineers/researchers/analysts who need to run huge numerical computations, however. I would like to see something like this at the uni mechanical engineering labs, that's for sure.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Serius said:
eh not as great as you seem to think. I cant really think of any point behind using a supercomputer for the average gamer. Theres a long way to go yet before you can harness that power in any significant way that would effect me... iam not interested in crunching numbers for research or anything like that.

btw 4 terraflops isnt that much, my graffics card has maybe 2 so the humble PC isnt that far off in computing power anyway.
Oh piss of you silly billy. :jedi:

4 teraflops in a PC not much larger than a desktop box that plugs into your powerpoint and is energy efficent (for a supercomputer) all whilst costing under $10,000 is certainly smegging significant!

Anyway, this, to me, isn't about how many computer games you can play at once on it, this is about breaking through the barrier of supercomputers not being suitable for personal use. Once businesses and researchers pick up on this, then the average user (and hence gaming companies) will follow - just like they did in the 1980's.

But eh, if maybe this would be more to your liking: http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/19/dell-talks-80-core-processor
:D

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Um, for all those saying I talk to much, you can read one of the store descriptions here:

http://www.tycrid.com/?page_id=85

On the front end, it runs Windows or Linux (Redhat), has 8gb of ram and a 64-bit quad-core AMD Phenom CPU with about 3.0 GHz per core (on top of the 4 GPUs and 16gb of ram for supercomputing). And a 1TB hard-drive for good measure.

$8,500

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
xtcy said:
i honestly love and respect slidey
with all my heart.
I do not know who you are, but I would like to buy drugs off you.

xtcy

HSC
Trefoil said:
I do not know who you are, but I would like to buy drugs off you.
ok bby. come over and you can buy all the drugs you like, if you know what i mean. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)