Personhood starts at conception (1 Viewer)

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Development of the nervous system is the only line that needs to be drawn imo.
Seriously what fuck does "Personhood" even mean in a practical sense anyway.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The egg evolves into a human
I support evolution

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Where do you draw the line on genetic abnormalities though? How abnormal does a foetus have to be to be considered not worth being brought into the world?

I mentioned rape because the female in question has not chosen to become pregnant. But in most other situations, they did, or knew the consequences, planned or not.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I think that man and woman are substantively equal, and I think that the burden of pregnancy is a pretty raw deal for the ladies. But I still baulk at the a-bomb.

In a political/legislative sense, I agree with Schro that it would be cruel and unusual to leave certain women to very grim alternatives if they are determined to end a pregnancy. So the initial 3 month period seems kinda fair to me.

But meh, on the other hand girls dont constantly wanna get laid, like guys do. So I dont agree that a world without any birth-control is necessarily one where women are totally unequal to men because theyre constantly pregnant and raising children. Discipline can be shown, planning can be exercised.

madsam

God among men
HSC
I hate pro-life fanatics

and America

Abortion should be legal until 3 months, at the bare minimum, and 6 months if their are physical or mental complications. Basically, while the baby is still fully dependant upon the mother for all nutrition, blood, and all that, it should be the mothers choice as to whether to sustain the baby, not the states'.

A slightly more interesting question i'd like to see answered however, is:
What punishment would you give an individual who carries out an illegal abortion?

You know deep down you cant give them the same punishment for murder, although your saying its the same crime. You can't send them to jail, or just give them a fine. Why? Because deep down you know a fetus and human aren't equivalent, abortion is not murder.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Quite. Abortion would be pretty fantastic if there was some accurate way of pinpointing when something was or was not a human. There is not. It is therefore not safe to actively terminate a pregnancy at any point throughout the pregnancy. I think this law is good. ^_^
I agree, it also gets rid of one of the main problems that present themselves in government, decisions made based on arbitrary bullshit.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I agree, it also gets rid of one of the main problems that present themselves in government, decisions made based on arbitrary bullshit.
Not that the ND bill is made on anything other than arbitrary bullshit.

Last edited:

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Not that the ND bill is made on anything other than arbitrary bullshit.
It sets the bechmark to something measurable and verifyable - whether something exists or not. As opposed to using a measurement such as "personhood," which is entirely a matter of opinion - common, scientific, religious - arbitrary bullshit.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I think that man and woman are substantively equal, and I think that the burden of pregnancy is a pretty raw deal for the ladies. But I still baulk at the a-bomb.

In a political/legislative sense, I agree with Schro that it would be cruel and unusual to leave certain women to very grim alternatives if they are determined to end a pregnancy. So the initial 3 month period seems kinda fair to me.

But meh, on the other hand girls dont constantly wanna get laid, like guys do. So I dont agree that a world without any birth-control is necessarily one where women are totally unequal to men because theyre constantly pregnant and raising children. Discipline can be shown, planning can be exercised.
Heaps knowledgable on this subject?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Hah yeah, considering male and female sex drives are decidedly similar.

banco55

HSC
How is it measurable and verifiable?
Is there a fertilized egg or isn't there?

Most of arguments about 25 weeks, 26 weeks etc. are really unconvincing. They all seem like arbitrary cut offs. I suppose supporters of "choice" would find less public support if they didn't compromise on only allowing abortions up until a certain point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)