Peter Skrzynecki (1 Viewer)

E

Empyrean444

Some very short points:
- blank verse quality
I would dispute this point in particular - the poem is too lacking in metre or imitation of real metre for us to label it thus. I'd stick with free verse description. At best, there is a tendency for the rhythm to sound iambic, though this is not strictly governed either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
I'm sure there is something blatantly obvious that I'm missing...but what does the phrase "Like a well oiled lock" actually mean? I know it's supposed to be a simile but for what exactly?

It just emphasises the mechanical and "routined" nature of their lives. How its just instinctive; and how theyve settled into this house.

If you think about it, what does openning (or closing) a wll oiled lock mean. It means its done with ease, with comfort, and without irritation.

The word "lock" also emphasises their security and connection they feel to this home.

Last edited:

Thangquangtu

QUANG(*)
HSC
It just emphasises the mechanical and "routined" nature of their lives. How its just instinctive; and how theyve settled into this house.

If you think about it, what does openning (or closing) a wll oiled lock mean. It means its done with ease, with comfort, and without irritation.

The word "lock" also emphasises their security and connection they feel to this home.
Thanks. :)

HSC
I met Skryznecki when he did a talk at my school and he completely cut down any attempt to draw meaning from his poems - as it turns out his house on 10 Mary St. was not pulled down and is still standing today.

Peter: "This is a picture of 10 Mary street which someone took for me last month"

*I put my hand up*

Peter: "yes?"

Me: "But don't you say in the poem that the house was torn down"

Peter (snappishly): "No, where it the evidence for this, I didn't say that."

Me: "It says 'the whole block was gazetted for industry' and 'A key that will open no house once this one is pulled down'"

Peter: "That doesn't mean it was pulled down it just means that the block was zoned for industry and when the house is eventually pulled down the key will be useless"

Me: "Oh, OK then"

Peter: "You kids are ruining my poems by over-analyzing them. This is why I tried to get my texts not to be in the HSC"

So there you have it Skrzynecki hates you. He totally cut down the teacher too - when she tried to say that folk museum related to more than a folk museum in a country town.

Last edited:
E

Empyrean444

So fucking true. He came to our school, and, after explicitly stating that all interpretations were all right, proceeded to reject every suggestion other than that he stated - for example, when asked about whether or not he felt his father loved the garden more than he loved him, and that he thus felt as if he were competing for his attention (quite evident in Feliks), Peter proceeded to make the kid stand up in front of everyone, and then claimed that we were reading to far into the text - "it's just a simile". Don't know how anyone could possibly ruin his poems, short of obliterating them (though even that would be an improvement).

TheOboist

HSC
I remember I went to a conference in the city with a whole lot of schools, and the guy was just a cynical racist. It was pretty ironic that he was being so racist to asians; talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

All these people were asking detailed questions and he didn't even know what was in his own poem! He just said "Oh yeah, you're right, there's another technique! Didn't notice that." And the whole room just sat there dumb struck with this collective thought of failure...

Destroyed my hope of ever finding merit in any English text ever again...

m1tch37

HSC
I remember I went to a conference in the city with a whole lot of schools, and the guy was just a cynical racist. It was pretty ironic that he was being so racist to asians; talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

All these people were asking detailed questions and he didn't even know what was in his own poem! He just said "Oh yeah, you're right, there's another technique! Didn't notice that." And the whole room just sat there dumb struck with this collective thought of failure...

Destroyed my hope of ever finding merit in any English text ever again...
Ahah yes, I was there. What did he say again, "Two Wongs Don't Make a White"?

But thinking about it, is he the fool, or are we the fools pulling shit out of what is just supposed to be a simple poem? He is frustrated.

LobbSACS

HSC
i also went to that city conference, what a waste of fucking time. i remember my english teacher saying afterwards

"just try to pretend you never met him, and jump through the BOS hoops"

EDIT: sup mitch

Last edited:

Stick Stickly

HSC
I'm sure there is something blatantly obvious that I'm missing...but what does the phrase "Like a well oiled lock" actually mean? I know it's supposed to be a simile but for what exactly?
z

When Petey S came to my school, he said the well oiled lock wasn't really important

djordje92

HSC
would someone be kind enough so as to help me out with a notes summary for st pats college, migrant hostel and 10 Mary Street?

krystally.

HSC
Mmm I met him at my school also, he had an arguement with one of the English teachers because her interpretation of a line was different to his. He's a funny guy, but really bit strange in that he believes we shouldn't analyse his poems...

"A Well Oiled Lock" Suggests that the routine runs smoothly, it's been used by them so often that there's no other way it would work for them.
Sorta thing.

English Trial HSC tomorrow, Goodluck everyone!

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
directly qutoed from my facebook status:

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I don't give a flying fuck about how Skryznecki experienced belonging, ok you moved to australia and had a hard time fitting in boo hoo, what about the poor people in detention ...centres?... Bet they don't matter to you. I heard you talk in real life your an angry fat little man. GET OVER IT!
when i say him speak it was about journeys and would stop bitching. And if he really didn't want his work used in the HSC he can refuse them and bann them from the use of his work. So he is just a hypocritical fat old bastard who needs to respect other peoples views

OneSweetDay

HSC
i really hate when people post there ranks in class and their subjects! just give us the damb info and shut up! :)

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
You guys have to realise, that Skrzynecki doesn't write his poems thinking "Oh, i'll use a similie here, and a metaphor here...and why not do a little imagery here, and make this mean this....."

He writes his poems naturally. Then you got a bunch of school kids suggesting all these things. Gosh, no wonder he's upset. However, if he is a cynical racist, then he can go die. (btw, i'm not asian)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)