• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Petrol Prices (4 Viewers)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I paid $1.16 this week, highest I saw was $1.19. This is costing everyone a lot of money, and obviously people aren't happy about it.

But my question is, when are people going to start getting pissed off at the government. Because although oil prices are high, it's mainly the governments fault because they continue to tax the shit out of petrol.

And it's not about the revenue either, there are other ways for the government to make money.

firehose

HSC
Yeah the government's levies are pretty ridiculous but its always been that way... its just that its only now that prices at the bowser have been so high. Although world oil prices have an effect everywhere in the world prices in USA are still only about half that of Australias. The bottom line for rising oil prices is the rise of China and the subsequent demand from there but mostly because of dwindling resources.

Jonathan A

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I paid $1.16 this week, highest I saw was $1.19. This is costing everyone a lot of money, and obviously people aren't happy about it.

But my question is, when are people going to start getting pissed off at the government. Because although oil prices are high, it's mainly the governments fault because they continue to tax the shit out of petrol.

And it's not about the revenue either, there are other ways for the government to make money.

It's not so much the levies, the price of oil per barrell has risen, this is a significant factor. If anything you should be happy we have a strong dollar which can be related back to the Commonwealth Government's initiatives. If the dollar falls, then you will notice an even bigger expenditure.

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
Its still nothing like it is in Europe. When i was in germany last year, petrol was 1.5 euros a litre ($2.50)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
eesh, thats expensive. On our way to uni we see it for less than a $1 (even without the 4c a litre discount, cause there are independent service stations). But then again, its out in now wheres ville. But those 4c a litre off thingo's start to come in handy.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
When I first got my car, it cost me $27 to fill it. Now, 2.5 yrs later, it costs between $33-38

Which kinda all adds up, given I do 500 km a week for uni, + anywhere else I may go.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Jonathan A said:
It's not so much the levies, the price of oil per barrell has risen, this is a significant factor. If anything you should be happy we have a strong dollar which can be related back to the Commonwealth Government's initiatives. If the dollar falls, then you will notice an even bigger expenditure.
Excise tax is around 38 cents, and GST is around 8 cents. So the price might have something to do with the price of oil rising, but the government has 46 cents worth of decreasing it can do so that people won't be pissed off with them.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
hipsta_jess said:
When I first got my car, it cost me $27 to fill it. Now, 2.5 yrs later, it costs between $33-38

Which kinda all adds up, given I do 500 km a week for uni, + anywhere else I may go.
The last time I filled my tank it cost around $60, and last week I did 900km.

Jonathan A

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Excise tax is around 38 cents, and GST is around 8 cents. So the price might have something to do with the price of oil rising, but the government has 46 cents worth of decreasing it can do so that people won't be pissed off with them.

You can't view the taxes and excises as being in a vaccuum that if we remove them it wont affect our dollar. Plus think of all the goods and services that we recieve because of that tax.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Jonathan A said:
You can't view the taxes and excises as being in a vaccuum that if we remove them it wont affect our dollar. Plus think of all the goods and services that we recieve because of that tax.
There are other ways for the government to make money. And I'm not saying get rid of all the tax, just that some reduction would be greatly appreciated.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
The last time I filled my tank it cost around $60, and last week I did 900km.
It ain't my fault if you choose to have a car that uses a lot of fuel!

iamsickofyear12

HSC
hipsta_jess said:
It ain't my fault if you choose to have a car that uses a lot of fuel!
How does that change the fact that prices are too high and the government need to do something about it.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
It doesn't, but it is something all young people should be aware of.
Yeah, Commodores and other big cars might look great, but go the Excel's, etc, for fuel economy.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
hipsta_jess said:
It doesn't, but it is something all young people should be aware of.
Yeah, Commodores and other big cars might look great, but go the Excel's, etc, for fuel economy.
Lots of people do drive those sorts of cars for that reason, but I need my falcon ute for work so it really doesn't apply to me.

Rorix

HSC
Exercise your consumer sovereignty and catch a bus. Or a train. Or walk. Walk, move that fat ass.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Rorix said:
Exercise your consumer sovereignty and catch a bus. Or a train. Or walk. Walk, move that fat ass.
The only time I could really do that was going to uni. Because any other time I need to drive.

And I worked it out and discovered it would cost me about $8 by public transport and an hour and a half of my time each way and I'd have to drive to the train station anyway or else is would cost another $2 and another half an hour each way.

Wheras if I drive it would cost about $10 worth of fuel and 35 minutes each way.
The public transport system in NSW is fucking screwed, so people really don't have as much of a choice as you'd like to think when it comes to driving.

Jonathan A

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
There are other ways for the government to make money. And I'm not saying get rid of all the tax, just that some reduction would be greatly appreciated.

Shop at Woolworths or Coles and you will get 4 cents off a litre.

minushuman

tafe pride
HSC
Yeah but the vouchers aren't good for BP. And BP Ultimate is the only stuff i let anywhere near my car. Bah, so expensive, $1.17 on tuesday, cost me just under $55 bux to get the tank to full (already had a bit in it) and depending on how i drive my baby i may only get 300km's out of it (as much as about 430 though). And driving like a granny sucks. My car is equally happy in 1st (~7200rpm) or 5th (~1500rpm) going 50km/h, so i have to trade excitement, an awesome sound, responsiveness and all round coolness to get decent milage out of her.

eco-activist

HSC
N/A
If you're not happy with the price of petrol simply use alternative means of transport. Simple :D

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
By alternative means of transport, I assume you mean public...my nearest train station is 25km away, and about the same to find a bus...how do you propose I access these services without first using my own petrol?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)