• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Petrol Prices (3 Viewers)

eco-activist

HSC
N/A
There are always ways around things. Buy a more efficient car, share your car with other people, live nearer to things...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
1) I have a Hyundai Excel, its hard to get more efficient
2) Share my car with other people...yeah, great in theory, apart from the fact I live in the middle of nowhere, with noone around
3) Live nearer to things- I'm a uni student, its not financially viable.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I don't see an hours drive each way as a viable reason to move, and as I said, its not financially do-able.

eco-activist

HSC
N/A
I lived on campus throught uni because I didn't have enough money to go into the private sector and uni accomodation was so much cheaper.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I still live at home. Moving out in general, not only moving onto campus just aint doable.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I paid $1.16 this week, highest I saw was $1.19. This is costing everyone a lot of money, and obviously people aren't happy about it.

But my question is, when are people going to start getting pissed off at the government. Because although oil prices are high, it's mainly the governments fault because they continue to tax the shit out of petrol.

And it's not about the revenue either, there are other ways for the government to make money.
When idiots stop perpetuating the myth that ethanol ruins cars, oil prices might go down, or at least stay stable or not increase as fast.

Understand, though, that oil is running out. It will be gone before 2100.

firehose

HSC
Slide Rule said:
When idiots stop perpetuating the myth that ethanol ruins cars, oil prices might go down, or at least stay stable or not increase as fast.

Understand, though, that oil is running out. It will be gone before 2100.
So then the world had better find another feasible source to power the world's vehicles before jeopardy strikes.

Regarding Ethanol, does it actually harm the car at all? And if not then whats the fuss about? i always see these independent stations putting up large banners saying 'No Ethanol - 100% petrol' or something like that... one even named its service station name 'No Ethanol' on the sign.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I don't know the full story, but I think some idiot petrol stations were doing things like 20%+ ethanol, which WILL probably destroy your car.

Cars can be modified, of course, to accept more ethanol. But currently about 10% ethanol petrol is fine.

Some cars run on 100% ethanol. I believe Brazil has a lot of that.

Queensland also has something to do with sugar cane, which is one way to produce ethanol. I think QLD has some percentage ethanol as fuel, which would explain the cheaper petrol price.

Funny thing is, ethanol is a cleaner fuel, and a renewable resource, too.

Jonathan A

HSC
minushuman said:
Yeah but the vouchers aren't good for BP. And BP Ultimate is the only stuff i let anywhere near my car. Bah, so expensive, $1.17 on tuesday, cost me just under $55 bux to get the tank to full (already had a bit in it) and depending on how i drive my baby i may only get 300km's out of it (as much as about 430 though). And driving like a granny sucks. My car is equally happy in 1st (~7200rpm) or 5th (~1500rpm) going 50km/h, so i have to trade excitement, an awesome sound, responsiveness and all round coolness to get decent milage out of her.

So you want the Australian Government to step in and bring down its excise so your car can consume BP Ultimate at a lower cost? Good luck!

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Slide Rule said:
I don't know the full story, but I think some idiot petrol stations were doing things like 20%+ ethanol, which WILL probably destroy your car.

Cars can be modified, of course, to accept more ethanol. But currently about 10% ethanol petrol is fine.

Queensland also has something to do with sugar cane, which is one way to produce ethanol. I think QLD has some percentage ethanol as fuel, which would explain the cheaper petrol price.

I think QLD may also have petrol subsidised with the revenue that the government gets from the GST on petrol, because I know that is the case with some states. But Bob Carr knows he is gone next election anyway, so why should he bother even trying to win votes.

Jonathan A

HSC
Slide Rule said:

I have been told by some engineering students that Ethanol is a very good feul, it will be cheap, provide our sugarcane farmers with work and economic prosperity and be more environmentally friendly. The aim is on the car manufacturers to make engines that suite ethanol which is something of major concern at the moment.

Rorix

HSC
The main problem with ethanol is that it stinks, AFAIK.

As for all the 'i need to buy X amount of petrol, the trains suck etc.' ride a bike or something, stop complaining that the service stations are charging you an amount that you are quite willing to pay for. I don't want to hear about how you can't do this and that blah blah can someone please stop the evil petrol companies, ride, walk, run, catch public transport, whatever, it's good for you and the environment. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO PAY THE PRICE DON'T PAY IT.

Most of the people who actually NEED to use a car (basically for work) can claim that as a tax deduction anyway.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Jonathan A said:
I have been told by some engineering students that Ethanol is a very good feul, it will be cheap, provide our sugarcane farmers with work and economic prosperity and be more environmentally friendly. The aim is on the car manufacturers to make engines that suite ethanol which is something of major concern at the moment.
What needs to happen is someone needs to decide "right we are all going to convert from petrol to <insert other fuel here>" and then everyone is going to have to do it. It's not going to work if you have some people using ethanol, some using gas, some using electric.

Then once it has been decided, car manufacturers need to stop producting cars that run on petrol all together, and only produce these other cars or else people might continue to buy cars that run on petrol. Then eventually the majority of the population will be using this new fuel.

It's not as simple as some people are making it out to be.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Jonathan A said:
Indeed, HSC chem teaches you that :p

Personally, I'm all for ethanol in my fuel, so long as it doesn't exceed ~14% I wouldn't mind at all.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Car manufacturers only hate it because it would mean spending millions of dollars on modifying their machinery, supporting old models, et cetera.

Money makes the world go round. :(

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Petrol is expensive and getting more expensive for many reasons not just because of the government. One factor is the demand continues to rise every year. This is because with each passing year more and more cars are produced and added to the world's roads due to economic growth. Another is because cars in countries which like to ape north america such as australia, the average fuel consumption of each vechicle gets worse as an increasing number of people shun conventional passenger cars and purchase heavier and thirstier 4wds. Also the number of new oilfields being found is decreasing as most have already been discovered. All in all, you can't really blame the government for the high prices as external factors (demand increasing at a higer rate than supply) will continue to push up the world price of oil

pete_mate

HSC
yes! but the governemtn doesnt tax petrol on a fixed amount, it taxes a percentage of the cost of the oil, so that the high taxes are accentuating the rise in prices by external factors

therefore we are paying more tax on petrol now than before, despite it being much more expensive, they could decrease the percentage so that it is fixed instead of pocketing the increase in the actual oil

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
If the government simply didn't take in a percentage, or took in a lower percentage when prices grow and made prices stay the same whenever there was a rise, why wouldn't oil companies simply charge $3/Ltr?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)